Subscapula and suprailiac fat drops by 5% while tricep goes up by 3%

I am 5'3'' and 49 kg. I have been training for two and a half months till now (I never did strength training before). My overall weight gains a little bit (around 1kg, I was 48 kg when i started training) and the measurements showed that the lean mass gained by almost 3kg. Overall body fat drops from 24.5% to 20.6%.

I am measured on 10 sites across the body. The progress in the title is for the last one month. But I find the fat distribution quite odd. Some sites drops significantly (Subscapula and suprailiac) while others (tricep) goes up. Does it make sense to you? Shouldn't all parts have the same trend? It's also quite shocking to me that my waistline (measured just at the same level of the belly button) gained by around 3 cm and my lower ab is protruding as usual. :'( BTW, i suffer from constipation as well..maybe that's the reason for protruding lower ab..

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Do you measure yourself? If so it's very hard to get accurate readings.

If someone else measures you how long have they been doing it?
  • babyperson
    babyperson Posts: 10 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Do you measure yourself? If so it's very hard to get accurate readings.

If someone else measures you how long have they been doing it?

Hi, my personal trainer measured me. I had the measure every month to track the progress.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    How much experience does this trainer have? Do your numbers usually jump around? Does your trainer measure each area that changes twice, especially if you gain in one and lose in another?
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Your muscle gain sounds a little too high to be honest. Women can usually gain around 0.5-1 pounds per month as a beginner (thats when you can gain muscle the most), thats around 2.5 pounds gain. Yours is around 6.6lb of gain. Thats a high number even for men.

I think you need to consider the human error, and the general over simplified calculation errors in these measurements. It is extremely difficult to calculate real muscle mass, even in clinical settings.

As for the different parts of body reacting differently, this is purely genetic. Some people gain fat around their belly, and chest, while others can gain more on the lower body. Reasonably when you lose weight you lose the fat from those areas.

Your waist line size can fluctuate depending on many number of things (like gas), don't dwell on that so much. Sounds like you're on the right track though! Good luck!
  • babyperson
    usmcmp wrote: »
    How much experience does this trainer have? Do your numbers usually jump around? Does your trainer measure each area that changes twice, especially if you gain in one and lose in another?

The trainer is considered experienced I believe. He is the manager of the gym. This is the only second measure so I am not no sure whether the number jumps in the long run.
  • babyperson
    subcounter wrote: »
    Your muscle gain sounds a little too high to be honest. Women can usually gain around 0.5-1 pounds per month as a beginner (thats when you can gain muscle the most), thats around 2.5 pounds gain. Yours is around 6.6lb of gain. Thats a high number even for men.

I think you need to consider the human error, and the general over simplified calculation errors in these measurements. It is extremely difficult to calculate real muscle mass, even in clinical settings.

As for the different parts of body reacting differently, this is purely genetic. Some people gain fat around their belly, and chest, while others can gain more on the lower body. Reasonably when you lose weight you lose the fat from those areas.

Your waist line size can fluctuate depending on many number of things (like gas), don't dwell on that so much. Sounds like you're on the right track though! Good luck!

Thanks! I believe the significant muscle gain, though it looks too much to you lol, is also because I suddenly increase a lot of protein intake. I used to eat very little, let alone protein_probably less than 10 grams per day before. I was told to eat 80 grams protein per day since 2 months + 1 week go, and go to gym 5 times a week. I stick religiously to the diet - to ensure 80 grams protein per day_around 400 g raw chicken breast/lean beef/ cod fish....

As to how the trainer calculates the muscle mass, i am not so sure about the details. I have been measured on 11 sites_waist, suprailiac, chin, cheek, pec, tricep, Sub scapula, Midaxillary, UMB, Knee, calf (dont know what's UMB)..and the overall body fat is calculated based on the measurements above i believe..

And the waistline is my stubborn area....i usually gain fat in the lower ab part very easily...but not for the upper ab which looks quite toned by now..
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    It's very easy to pinch in a different spot.. or grab a different amount of skin.. than last time - regardless of the trainer's experience. Ask your trainer to check it 3 times and take the average of the 3.
    babyperson wrote: »
    And the waistline is my stubborn area....i usually gain fat in the lower ab part very easily.

Yeah, that's the way it is with most people. :+1:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016

Thanks! I believe the significant muscle gain, though it looks too much to you lol, is also because I suddenly increase a lot of protein intake. I used to eat very little, let alone protein_probably less than 10 grams per day before. I was told to eat 80 grams protein per day since 2 months + 1 week go, and go to gym 5 times a week. I stick religiously to the diet - to ensure 80 grams protein per day_around 400 g raw chicken breast/lean beef/ cod fish....

As to how the trainer calculates the muscle mass, i am not so sure about the details. I have been measured on 11 sites_waist, suprailiac, chin, cheek, pec, tricep, Sub scapula, Midaxillary, UMB, Knee, calf (dont know what's UMB)..and the overall body fat is calculated based on the measurements above i believe..

And the waistline is my stubborn area....i usually gain fat in the lower ab part very easily...but not for the upper ab which looks quite toned by now..

Gaining 3kg of muscle as a woman over 2.5 months is impossible no matter how hard you "believe" it. 3kg of muscle would be a good gain for a man training intensely for one full year. I'm not trying to be harsh but its important to be realistic here. Eating more protein doesn't somehow justify an amount of muscle mass gain that would outdo male competitive bodybuilders on steroids (3kg in 2.5 months).

You've been measured twice with calipers by a guy at your gym, its not accurate enough to give you a change in muscle mass and you haven't gained that much muscle I'm sorry.

Keep in mind that even if 100% accurate calipers are measuring percentage of bodyfat. From your percent bodyfat and your total weight you can calculate your lean body mass which is your weight without any fat. That weight includes everything that is not fat, including water. If you happened to be retaining 3kg of water that day then it would show up as a gain of 3kg of lean mass. Lean mass is not necessarily muscle, important to understand that.

Chances are its a combination of innaccuracy (calipers aren't 100% accurate) and changes to your lean mass that aren't muscle (ie water retention from starting resistance training, a common affect). Thats fine, its not "bad" at all...but I think its better to know that than to think mistakenly that you have somehow achieved the impossible. Continue tracking with calipers and after something like 12 independant measurements you can probably get a more reliable trend that can give you an idea of your progress...but don't expect a lot of muscle gain over the period of months, that is not realistic.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I agree, you haven't gained a significant amount of muscle, even accounting for newbie gains. It's important to understand this as if you carry on gaining at the rate you currently are, you're going to end up with body fat increases you'll be unhappy with. I think you need to get a handle on your calorie intake as you're gaining too rapidly for optimal results (unless you are deliberately wanting to add mass, any mass, including fat at this stage).
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Eating more protein doesn't somehow justify an amount of muscle mass gain that would outdo male competitive bodybuilders on steroids (3kg in 2.5 months).

6lbs in 10 weeks on PED's? That is modest I would say given the correct supplementation/food/training of course.
  • babyperson
    Thanks for the comments! Will update you all continuosly on the progress.
  • babyperson
    I agree, you haven't gained a significant amount of muscle, even accounting for newbie gains. It's important to understand this as if you carry on gaining at the rate you currently are, you're going to end up with body fat increases you'll be unhappy with. I think you need to get a handle on your calorie intake as you're gaining too rapidly for optimal results (unless you are deliberately wanting to add mass, any mass, including fat at this stage).

Tracking calorie doesn't work for me.. The more attention I pay to the food.. The more I feel deprived of the pleasure of eating...I did track the calories for the first month.. I became cranky easily and paranoid about the food I eat..which lead me to eat more..or even binge..so later I give up on the approach but just eat when I feel like eating

• babyperson
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Eating more protein doesn't somehow justify an amount of muscle mass gain that would outdo male competitive bodybuilders on steroids (3kg in 2.5 months).

6lbs in 10 weeks on PED's? That is modest I would say given the correct supplementation/food/training of course.

PED stand for ?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

Tracking calorie doesn't work for me.. The more attention I pay to the food.. The more I feel deprived of the pleasure of eating...I did track the calories for the first month.. I became cranky easily and paranoid about the food I eat..which lead me to eat more..or even binge..so later I give up on the approach but just eat when I feel like eating

Whatever your approach, the basics of CICO still apply :)
  • babyperson

Whatever your approach, the basics of CICO still apply :)

CICO stand for ?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator

Just wanted to point out, while I agree with what everyone is saying about accuracy, those changes in body fat % are not changes in muscle, but rather lean body mass. I can easily gain a ton of lean body mass just by modifying glycogen storage.

But yea, accuracy will probably be the biggest driver.
  • babyperson
    psulemon wrote: »

Just wanted to point out, while I agree with what everyone is saying about accuracy, those changes in body fat % are not changes in muscle, but rather lean body mass. I can easily gain a ton of lean body mass just by modifying glycogen storage.

May I know what's the difference between lean body mass and muscle? Is it a good thing to have more glycogen storage? Why would my body have the change in glycogen storage?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator

May I know what's the difference between lean body mass and muscle? Is it a good thing to have more glycogen storage? Why would my body have the change in glycogen storage?

Lean body mass is everything that isn't fat; glycogen, blood, muscle, tissue, bone density, organs, etc.. Glyocgen is a source of fuel, especially on a carbohydrate based diet. One can store up to 2000 calories in carbs (great for endurance). This is also why you can see huge losses in weight when you go on low carb diets (think Atkins/Keto). Glycogen is very beneficial during anaerobic exercise, which heavy lifting is.
  • babyperson

Lean body mass is everything that isn't fat; glycogen, blood, muscle, tissue, bone density, organs, etc.. Glyocgen is a source of fuel, especially on a carbohydrate based diet. One can store up to 2000 calories in carbs (great for endurance). This is also why you can see huge losses in weight when you go on low carb diets (think Atkins/Keto). Glycogen is very beneficial during anaerobic exercise, which heavy lifting is.

Oh....actually my trainer never says I gained 3kg muscle ..but 3 kg lean mass...which I believe is a good sign...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Oh....actually my trainer never says I gained 3kg muscle ..but 3 kg lean mass...which I believe is a good sign...

It's just not true, unfortunately.