Weight loss food poisoning

Options
I got food poisoning for 3 days and i cant keep food down barely juice. I have been losing weight. I dont even want to look at food. I have tried saltines water medicines. I dont want to lose weight this way i just dont know what to do anymore. I cant do meal plans i can barely keep in calories how dangerous is it not to. Does it hurt and deteriate my muscle that i have accomplished?l

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to the doctor? I think you should be more concerned about dehydration and make sure that more serious things aren't happening to your body.
  • sc1979LC
    sc1979LC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 5lbs in one day due to food poisoning in February and it was awful. I'd see a doctor if I was you because you obviously can't keep much down. It will take a good week before you feel like you can eat or even think about exercising so don't worry about it just get well. :)
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Relax, If you are sick listen to your body the most important thing is getting back to 100% health.
    Try to stomach some soup or broth - nothing fancy - and sip that a few times. You can also use an electrolyte drink to ensure that you are getting proper nutrients.

When you are able to start stomaching solid foods again start slowly (toast, saltines, banana, plain and bland items), you will see a gain on the scale but this is due to not being well - so don't let it bother you.

I don't think that you will be doing too much harm (to your muscles or your weight-loss efforts) as you are sick, but keep in mind the main aim is to get you back to complete health.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You're sick - concentrate on feeling better, eating what you can stomach, staying hydrated. Forget about the rest. The human body is surprisingly resilient and can weather a few days of illness. You might feel a bit rubbish when you're getting back into it, but forcing yourself to eat when its just going to make you ill does you no favours whatsoever.

Pretty much this. When you're sick, you're sick. Everything else gets put aside except keeping yourself hydrated and resting. Get well soon!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Would not worry so much about anything like losing muscle from not being able to eat and perhaps dropping a pound or two. The first couple of days it will be a lot of water weight and not fat loss anyway..

Your body is needing to heal itself, so what ever you need to do in the meantime to help that process (i.e. get to a doctor) do that. Doctor can prescribe things to weed off nausea, etc.

If a doctor is not an option, look for the things you can consume like drinking your calories. And if you cannot consume anything, make sure you stay hydrated.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I had an awful stomach flu for 72hrs and when I felt like eating again anything I had lost came right back.
    You are losing water weight anyhow and its only been a few days.

Feel better.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I get migraines and sometimes can't for a few days. Sip water and Gatorade. Don't panic if you can't keep anything down. I haven't eaten anything but broth and oyster crackers(barely any) in a few days, today I'm able to eat soup. Don't force yourself to eat If you can't keep anything down. If you are sick it will pass relax and get better.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Focus on hydration and getting better. Talk to your doctor if you haven't already. Feel better soon! :)