Constantly hungry

Any ideas on particularly filling foods? I'm endlessly snacking. In the morning I tend to have cereal but that doesn't seem to sustain me for long.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Perhaps a breakfast more protein/fat packed?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Try egg whites scrambled up with tons of veggies and a few glasses of water, even throw in some turkey bacon. I find that really filling and satisfying in the morning. Also, a cup of Greek yogurt with some fruit and nuts is a good option to keep full. Personally if I eat carby breakfasts such as cereal I'm typically hungry right after I'm done eating it.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    I made a nice sausage, kale and cheese fritatta for breakfasts for the week. It gets tastier as the week goes on and it's sticking with me much longer than the greek yogurt I usually have.
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    when i first started on here... i had that constant hunger feeling. i felt like i had to keep my calories maxed out at 1200...and i was never satisfied. that's usually when i fail. after 2 weeks, i was really tired and lethargic. then, someone suggested i eat more. i was horrified at first, but it's working pretty well. I now have between 14-1600 calories each day. And the best part is, im not hungry (except sometimes at night).

I like to carry a protein bar in my purse in case i feel "starving" while at work. I find them very filling. It's better for me to go a few calories over during the day then binge when i get home from work. and they aren't bad, but not tasty enough to tempt me unless i really am overly hungry. I sometimes eat them for breakfast on the run because they are filling. Breakfasts that include eggs are usually pretty filling too.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Cereal, fruit and yoghurts etc doesnt fill me either, I have a toasted sausage sandwich with mustard and onion in the mornings, or toast with lean bacon and poached egg, both around 400 cals and im full till I have my lunch at 1pm. Try to get the most out of your calories and dont skimp on fat or youll be hungry an hour later.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    I agree with everyone else. I love cereal and it is filling--for a bout 30 minutes....after a few servings. I suggest some eggs--any style. I tend to prefer lower carb during the day and save them for evening but you can play around with macros however you like. however you may want to try complex carbs like oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, lentils, quinoa and see if that makes a difference in hunger....always pair them with fat/protein for increase satiation/slower digestion.

If you love cereal and still want to have it in the morning, make it fit into your day but get as much protein as you can with it or for later meals so you don't feel so hungry...hope this helps. I struggle with the hunger aspect a lot too.
  • vitty1
    vitty1 Posts: 58 Member
    Higher fat = never hungry
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Filling snacks: Two hardboiled eggs, plain greek yogurt with fruit or honey, apple with peanut butter.

I've also started having big salads with lunch with some sort of protein (salmon, shrimp, chicken or tofu) and throw on some quinoa, edamame or other legumes. Sometimes that even fills me up until dinner.
  • hayleyf6051
    hayleyf6051 Posts: 52 Member
    Thank you guys - you're so great (and helpful). I'm going to try these! Honestly thank you for taking the time to reply.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Eat more protein & eat more frequently. I have breakfast, a midmorning snack, lunch, an afternoon snack & a late dinner ( I get home from work late). Do drink water. Especially if you think you're hungry have a glass before you eat anything
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Eat more protein & eat more frequently. I have breakfast, a midmorning snack, lunch, an afternoon snack & a late dinner ( I get home from work late). Do drink water. Especially if you think you're hungry have a glass before you eat anything

And pay attention to what works for you! I hear all the time people say the above (eat small amounts all day) but sometimes that doesn't work for an individual. I, personally, could go all day without eating and never get any hunger pains... however once I eat anything at all, even something small, I am instantly starving the rest of the day and never feel full.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    I actually just started intermittent fasting 16:8 and I am eating less frequently and I am rarely hungry. Just a little twinge in the morning, but it passes. Eating more often makes me eat more. You have to test to see what works for you. Good luck. :)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    You have to try different things. I see here that a lot of people feel immediately hungry after cereal. I'm quite the opposite. Hi fiber, voluminous cereal keeps me okay until lunch (not anything Cheerios or corn flakes though). It's something like shredded wheat or Puffins. When I eat oatmeal, I'm starving in 30 minutes. Anything that doesn't have a lot of volume and is soft, leaves me hungry. I do okay on eggs if I eat three of them. But then I blow out my calories. The most filling breakfast I had was a slice of Ezekial toast, 1/4 avocado, and 1 egg.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    The only time i have cereal is for dessert, not as an actual filling meal!

I couldn't be bothered faffing about in the kitchen in the mornings. I sometimes make egg muffins which keep in the fridge for a few days, and just bing in the microwave to heat them up for breakfast, they are very filling.

You can use any ingredients you want, i use:

6 or so scrambled eggs
    chopped bacon
    chopped asparagus
    chopped fresh tomatoes
    a knob of butter
    sour or normal cream

Mix it all together in a bowl and transfer to a muffin tray, bake in the oven until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited October 2016
    hz9omlkcbfka.jpg
    I make a bunch of zoodles ahead and then add a microwave poached egg (30 seconds) with sriacha. Very filling at 100 calories + a Greek yogurt with PB2. 200 calories total.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    The only time i have cereal is for dessert, not as an actual filling meal!

I couldn't be bothered faffing about in the kitchen in the mornings. I sometimes make egg muffins which keep in the fridge for a few days, and just bing in the microwave to heat them up for breakfast, they are very filling.

You can use any ingredients you want, i use:

6 or so scrambled eggs
    chopped bacon
    chopped asparagus
    chopped fresh tomatoes
    a knob of butter
    sour or normal cream

Mix it all together in a bowl and transfer to a muffin tray, bake in the oven until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.

Ya, I have cereal /oats as a bedtime snack, not for breakfast. Need more protein.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    hz9omlkcbfka.jpg
    I make a bunch of zoodles ahead and then add a microwave poached egg (30 seconds) with sriacha. Very filling at 100 calories + a Greek yogurt with PB2. 200 calories total.

Yum! This looks delicious!

• EnaMcD
    EnaMcD Posts: 2 Member
    Unless you're short, it's unwise to be on 1200 calories a day. Assuming you are trying to lose weight, when you get nearer to your goal and will need to drop your calories further, you won't have anywhere left to go. I would'nt follow MFP's recommendations. It told me I needed 1200 calories but I set it at 2000 and am successfully losing (although I should add that I lift 3 times a week and have an active job)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    The chances are that if you are overweight/obese then you do not know what real hunger feels like. If you are eating a sensible amount of calories with a sensible weight loss goal then it is usual to feel a bit hungry but nothing extreme.
  • hayleyf6051
    hayleyf6051 Posts: 52 Member
    Thank you. At the moment I keep losing and putting on the same pound!