Kitchen cupboard stock up

Options
treelorex
treelorex Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi,
starting today and it's food shop day tomorrow - I shop online at Tesco - can anyone recommended good products to stock by fridge/cupboards with. I always take a packed lunch to work and need quick things to cook for tea with the kids.
Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken breast tenderloins - bake in about 20 min or go well in a slow cooker. I keep tinned black turtle beans and tinned corn around and make a salad with colorful peppers, oil, and vinegar. Low-sodium rice mixes. Frozen vegetables, for stir-frys. Frozen pre-cooked shrimp - toss into stir-frys at the last minute to thaw and warm.
  • judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've turned my kids on to heuvos rancheros (eggs poached in salsa with some grated cheese on top- served on tortillas for them and over salad for me) - it cooks in under 5 min. So eggs, mild salsa & grated mexican cheese mix are always on my shopping list. A favorite snack is deviled eggs - I cook about 1/2 dozen hardboiled eggs 1 or 2 X/week and refrigerate them peeled. 15 sec in the microwave heats them up nicely.
    Other quick favorites are apple slices and peanut butter (makes a great snack), ditto for peanut butter toast (whole grain toast with peanut butter).
    Good luck!
  • treelorexbex
    treelorexbex Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks Sira125 - love chicken and also stir fries so I'll stock up on chicken and lots of veggies.
    Thanks too judis100 - saw heuvos rancheros on a cookery programme - looks delicious and my eldest loves Mexican. Never thought of chilling hard boiled eggs in their shells - great idea and perfect for packed lunches!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My usual cupboard staples are: all kinds of beans, pasta, whole grains and oatmeal, white rice, instant noodles (for a calorie controlled quick meal when I'm too busy to prepare anything), soups, semolina, all kinds of spices, frying oil, vinegar, chicken stock cubes.

My usual fridge staples: fresh fruits and vegetables, all kinds of dairy products, eggs, diet soda (I don't drink it often, but I like having it on hand for when I do)

My usual freezer staples: chicken breasts, frozen ready packs of peas and carrots, ready packs of frozen corn, certain frozen vegetables and leafy greens (which I buy fresh in bulk in season then freeze), pre shredded cheese, tomato sauce which I make in bulk at home then freeze.

Of course we also always have lots and lots of potatoes, onions and garlic. Wheat flour and sugar we buy in bulk so we don't restock these often, in addition to 48 liters of olive oil a year for a family of 4.

Everything else I buy on a to-need basis.
  • Sira125
    Options
    I also buy fresh mixed greens and use in salads and sandwiches. Pre-shredded cabbage (slaw) is great for adding crunch to sandwiches and wraps. Frozen fruit and vegetables (mostly spinach) for smoothies. Carrot sticks go well with hummus or peanut butter, or as a crisps substitute with a sandwich.
  • Sira125
    Options
    Pork loin can be done in a slow cooker for pulled pork sandwiches. Chicken and taco spices can be done in a slow cooker for tacos, burritos, salads, etc.
  • treelorex
    treelorex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks amusedmonkey and again Sira125 :smiley:
    I did a big shop and stocked up on chicken, wafer thin ham, salad items, lots of veg, sugar free jelly pots, rice cakes. I like the idea of carrot sticks instead of crisps as I often like a pkt with my sandwich.
    I've done ok food wise over the last three days - seems to help having a healthy stocked kitchen - always good choices ready :smile:
  • niallcavanagh
    niallcavanagh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Tins of chickpeas are great to throw into anything stewed, especially spicy food, in place of a side of rice.
    Brown rice is tasty and healthy - much nicer than white and easier to cook without it going to mush.