Treadmill

Options
Wondering if anyone is doing incline while doing cardio... AM I DOING WRONG??? Hahaha

Replies

• octopusplum
    octopusplum Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use incline, especially since it's easier on my knees. .5 is my minimum but I'll interval it up to 2 to really get a good burn going.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Incline is good! What could be wrong? Falling off the back would be wrong! Not a good idea, IMO. LOL
  • jennlampert5
    jennlampert5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a 12.5 incline but just at a walk/jog ... slow on the miles ... just over 2 in 30 mins.... but soooo new to all the exercise... I don't know what I am doing !!! Lol
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Treadmills- I hate them, I have one 15 feet from my desk an have never been on it. Outside running I go out to find good hills. It gets my heart thumping!
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Look for a book called the ultimate treadmill workout. It is for runners of all level, if you are a beginner or experienced. I just finished the program and was really happy with the result. It will teach you how to use incline to increase your calorie burn and build your endurance. It is really a great book and program.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to set the incline at between 1% - 2% which mimics a flat surface....I use this whilst running
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Are you holding onto the sides? If so, you're negating a good part of the extra calorie burn from the incline.

Personally, if I'm using the treadmill I will sometimes use the "hills" setting (which will raise and lower the incline variably and at intervals) for shorter runs, but not every time. Usually I do a speed/tempo run once a week and a hills one as my two shortest runs, and the rest of my workouts are easy miles with no more than 2% incline.