Hi I am new and need to lose 70lbs.

Options
Do you'll have any good pointers to stay on track and not get discouraged?:blushing: :blushing:

Replies

• 22silvia
    22silvia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We all fall down, don't be hard on yourself, get up and keep on going!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Eat! Starving yourself won't do you or your weight loss journey any good.

Switch things up - regularly. Our bodies get used to what we're doing and when they are comfortable - they don't lose weight as quickly.

Drink enough water.

This is a lifestyle change NOT a diet. Don't be so strict with yourself that you start to feel resentful or depressed. There's no harm in enjoying the small things you enjoy in life - just learn to enjoy them in moderation.

Good Luck! You can do this!
  • Shanell802
    Shanell802 Posts: 37
    Options
    Take it slowly and a day at a time. Know that you will make bad choices sometimes, and be willing and determined to get back up and do better the next meal or day. You can do it! My big thing is tracking...if I don't track what I eat, I eat too much. Stay accountable with yourself.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Track your diaries here daily - you will be surprised at how easy it is to hold yourself accountable. Make it a point each day to log in, post your food/exercise diary. Make friends (feel free to add me if you like) and share frustrations, successes and anything else you feel like sharing! (Recipes are always great!) LOL

Welcome and congratulations - you have a great goal - now go get it!
  • Shelbug65
    Shelbug65 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't deny yourself anything! Just account for the calories! One of the ways I have found most successful for me is planning my entire day in the morning- that way if I know I'm going out for dinner I can plan those calories and what I have for breakfast, lunch and snack accordingly!

It is a lifestyle- not a diet! And it's all about making you feel happier and healthier!

:smile:

7424767.png[/url]
  • www_getfitrx_com
    Options
    Chevy88 said it all ... this is not a diet ... never think of it that way! This is nothing more than retraining the way you make decisions.

Right now you are at the base of a mountain ... and if you look to the top - it is overwhelming and you feel helpless ... but if you just look at the steps in front of you ... it isn't bad at all ... You are here so the first step is done ... now just focus on each and every decision you make (aka steps) ... and focus on daily victories in your decisions ...

Treat you body like someone you love ... and it will love you back ...
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Never give up!
  • hanksj3
    hanksj3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I would also love to lose 70-75 lbs, I have lost 63 before and let life get me down and gain some back....I haven't gained it all back but I am not far and I never reached my goal then. I want to do it this time and not let anything get in the way!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady. Change one thing at a time. I started with JUST food and then added in exercise after a couple of weeks. Drink water (don't drink your calories). Know that it's going to take you a year (or more for some people, I think I'll be near 70lbs lost at my 1 year anniversary next month).

One bad day (or one bad week even) will not undo the hard work you've done til then and you can just start new the next day!
  • Vcaser
    Vcaser Posts: 36
    Options
    Keep in mind that it takes at least four weeks for a new behavior to even start to become a habit! You didn't gain weight all at once, and you won't lose it all at once either. Making tweaks in your lifestyle will take time, but measured against the rest of your life, and the improved quality you'll enjoy, it's nothing!
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have about the same amount to go. I've lost 10 so far. All I can say is I have really done so much better since I started logging on MFP everyday, even if I go over. It makes me accountable for everything, and by doing so I decide to not eat as much as I might have if I were not logging it. Also, a MFP friend challanged me to open my diary where it is viewable to others. Although I was nervous about it and thought I might not log everything because it can be embarising some days, it has helped keep me in line knowing others can see what I ate. And believe it or not they are not all analyzing my daily food, but it does keep us more aware. I also think just this past week another thing that has helped me is to finally make little mini goals as I see on so many signatures, instead of the BIG ultimate goal. It has made it mentally easier knowing I only have 10 lbs to go to my first goal. You can friend me if you like and I will try to help encourage you.
  • chocolatesweat
    Options
    these are really some good pointers... thanks y'all. I never kept a food journal so that's something I'm going to do as well and drink I lot of water instead of the cokes. I'm not on any particular diet--- but I do want to eliminate all the bad foods (junk food) and exercise more. I feel like I'm in a desperate state of being right now.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Just remember that when you fall you get back up. It goes the same with dieting. You are going to have good day and bad days. You just have to stay positive so that your good days outweight your bad days. Keep up the good work. If you need someone to keep you motivated, feel free to add me. I have 131 more pounds to lose. We can do it.
  • capopend
    capopend Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey there. What I have found to work is to track what I eat. Faithfully. I like to eat out alot, so prior to going to a restaraunt I will look up the nutritional content and decide what I am going to eat. I have been quite suprised how well this works, and typically I don't feel like I am being cheated on what I can eat. Secondly, drink your water. 2 of my colleagues have joined this site and we motivate each other.
  • BrianaLyn123
    Options
    A few other people have said this, but being faithful to tracking your calories and exercise is key. When I look at my day's diary, it helps me to know where my weaknesses are and address them the next day. You will find a lot of inspiration on this site, too! Good luck!
  • canadasaurus
    canadasaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! Checking caloric values prior to going out to eat is REALLY helpful. I was shocked when I discovered how many calories are in some of my favourite "healthy" meals. Generally you can find 1 or 2 healthy options at any restaurant, you just can't be afraid to ask for it. For example: my friends like to go to Buffalo Wild Wings a lot. Nothing is very healthy. But if you get chicken tenders "naked" (grilled not fried) and have your sauce on the side for dipping instead of smothered on top. You actually have a fairly low cal meal that tastes pretty good! Researching ahead is key!!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Eat! Starving yourself won't do you or your weight loss journey any good.

Switch things up - regularly. Our bodies get used to what we're doing and when they are comfortable - they don't lose weight as quickly.

Drink enough water.

This is a lifestyle change NOT a diet. Don't be so strict with yourself that you start to feel resentful or depressed. There's no harm in enjoying the small things you enjoy in life - just learn to enjoy them in moderation.

Good Luck! You can do this!

Chevy is soooo right!!! small changes......
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I would say, spend some time right here, on these message boards. Find a thread that consists of folks you identify with and join that discussion thread. Friend-request folks here so you'll be met each day with messages from folks doing the same thing you are doing!

Personally, (and this is JUST MY OBSERVATION - it's what's working FOR ME...), I recently disovered I do much better with a "structured" program than an "eat what you want, just in moderation" type system.

I started the 17 Day Diet last month and it seems to be a perfect fit for me! I'm discovering that I'm a person that does BETTER with more restrictions rather than more freedoms. Don't let this scare you off of looking at it - it's really more of a structured "system" where you go through cycles of eating... at the end, when you're at goal, you'll find you are also off of processed sugars and carbs, sodas, fried foods, all that stuff you want to get rid of in your diet but don't know how.

If you're interested in more info on this, please friend-request me and I'll be glad to share! Be sure to include a message in your friend-request so I'll know who you are! Or you can go read my daily blog, which I started on 6/23, Day 1 of the 17 Day Diet. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Iceskatefanrn?month=201106

If this program is not for you then please keep looking around - so many inspirational and encouraging folks are here, you can read about all kinds of weight-loss program options, and I'm sure you'll find the right fit for you!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! Checking caloric values prior to going out to eat is REALLY helpful. I was shocked when I discovered how many calories are in some of my favourite "healthy" meals. Generally you can find 1 or 2 healthy options at any restaurant, you just can't be afraid to ask for it. For example: my friends like to go to Buffalo Wild Wings a lot. Nothing is very healthy. But if you get chicken tenders "naked" (grilled not fried) and have your sauce on the side for dipping instead of smothered on top. You actually have a fairly low cal meal that tastes pretty good! Researching ahead is key!!

I do this ALOT!!!!
  • Reese104
    Reese104 Posts: 26
    Options
    WELCOME!!!!