Is hot sauce considered a processed food?

Options
It may sound like a silly question but considering the ingredients in Louisiana Hot Sauce (Aged peppers, vinegar, and salt) versus those in Valentina (water, chili peppers, vinegar, salt, spices and sodium benzoate) I'm wondering whether or not Louisiana falls under the processed food category.

I'd love to hear of any other non-processed types/brands of hot sauce (if there is such a thing).

Thanks!

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    good question! i'd like to know the answer too :)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would say no, but the Valentina, because of the sodium benzoate, would be. The problem is that "processed food" is a super vague term that a lot of people interpret however they want to.

I try not to eat anything chemically processed (but, for example, I'd drink wine and beer, and consider fermentation a "natural process"), and I'd eat the Louisiana hot sauce. As a general rule, if I recognize all of the ingredients, and I'd eat them separately, I'll probably eat it. I hope this helps!

Added: I absolutely love Cholula (very typical in Mexican restaurants) and Yucatan Sunshine (an habanero sauce).
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    If loving hot sauce is wrong, then I don't wanna be right!
  • www_getfitrx_com
    Options
    Well there is the debate between processed and whole foods ... obviously the peppers have been "processed" into a powder/liquid ... but overall ... I usually exclude spices and items like hot sauce and try to find ones without preservatives and ingredients I don't find in nature ...

Even the USDA does not consider spices and certain flavorings in the "Certified Organic" process ... so this all gets really tricky ...

It is really easy to make your own hot sauce too! and then that problem is resolved!!! cayenne and vinegar ... bam!!! :smile:
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without hot sauce. I've probably got about 10 different types of hot sauces and chili sauces in my kitchen right now.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I think any condiment/prepackaged food can be considered processed. But you are not eating it the same way as say frozen and fast food.

With hot sauce you just have to be mindful of the sodium. It's all about moderation and portion!

Have an extra glass of water to flush out the sodium if you are concerned.
  • Spreadborough
    Options
    I love hot sauce. My "go to" hotsauce is Frank's RedHot, ingredients are (Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Natural Flavor and Garlic Powder). As others have noted, the main problem is the high sodium content for a rather small serving (with Frank's it is 190mg in 1 tsp).

In moderation, I think it's fine, and can be part of a balanced intake.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well there is the debate between processed and whole foods ... obviously the peppers have been "processed" into a powder/liquid ... but overall ... I usually exclude spices and items like hot sauce and try to find ones without preservatives and ingredients I don't find in nature ...

Even the USDA does not consider spices and certain flavorings in the "Certified Organic" process ... so this all gets really tricky ...

It is really easy to make your own hot sauce too! and then that problem is resolved!!! cayenne and vinegar ... bam!!! :smile:

Agreed. I make a delicious hot sauce using jalepnos, cubanelles, onions, garlic, vinegar and a smidge of brown sugar. I put this stuff on everything. If you make your own a few words of warning: WEAR RUBBER GLOVES AND KEEP THE KITCHEN WELL VENTILATED!!!! All of that capsacian(sp?) and vinegar is no joke. But totally worth it if you love hot sauce.
  • nichrism
    nichrism Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all of the insight guys! I'm embarking on a processed food free diet and it didn't dawn on me until this morning that hot sauce might not make the cut... considering the amounts of hot sauce I eat daily, such an awful realization was enough to bring me to tears! Perhaps I'll stick with the Louisiana Hot Sauce and try to whip up my own renditions of Valentina and Green Tabasco.