Is it too early to talk Thanksgiving?

2»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Yes, it is too early to talk Thanksgiving, at least in the USA! Let the turkey "live" a little bit longer and don't worry so much about something that it is two months away. Planning is good, over planning...not so much.

It's never too early for pie.

That is if you like and eat pie..

Giggity.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I think I did 3500+ calories for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year... it's the damn desserts! I usually just eat the stuff I really like though (I really don't care how good for you green beans are).

It's just a couple days so whatever. Just make sure to stick to your deficit the rest of the week and you'll be fine.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2016
    For the past two years, I have stayed under my daily calorie goals on Thanksgiving.

I do not do the traditional turkey dinner. I rarely have, over the years.

This years menu is:

Pan Seared Pork Tenderloin with Root Vegetables
    Spinach Salad
    Not sure what wine, yet
    Pumpkin Pie

This photo was an appetizer, one year. Seared Scallops.

kpnfwuwfiumh.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Yes. It's too early. It's too early to talk about Halloween, or this Friday even.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    So funny you mention this. I just posted on a thread called early holiday prep, where I discuss my eating strategy and also doing holiday tasks early so I have less stress and a slower pace. Often its shopping for hours at a time (because holiday lines at stores), lead you to the exhaustion of a fast food drive thru.

I also have a strategy for eating sweets and treats this time of year, to not offend hosts or give up on your calorie goals.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Good tips. I usually just watch my portions but have no idea how many calories I eat.
  • MissDi321
    MissDi321 Posts: 87 Member
    I'm trying to focus less on the food and more on the plan that my son, DIL and grandson are coming for a visit. More of a focus on family and conversation, less on eating so much that I am concerned about the calories. Focusing on being thankful that I even have food to eat. That is how I am approaching the holidays this year.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    your meal sounds wonderful. I will probobly be eating at my MIL's which means I won't be eating. I plan to stay on track. Dessert is a treat I will accept, but only if its cheesecake and I know how many calories are in it.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    I'm basically going to quote myself from previous thread where someone else was discussing the upcoming holidays and possible weight gain:

"I looked at my "records" for Halloween to New Year's from last year. I went to two Halloween parties, a Thanksgiving gathering, a Christmas gathering and a New Year's Party. I ate/drank what I wanted on those *five* occasions. I also averaged my calories per week and not by the day (still do), so I was able rearranged/shift my calories around for the parties. I was 18 lbs lighter at the beginning of the new year than I was at Halloween and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. It's all in the planning. As someone else pointed out, it's not every single day of those few months that you are having to deal with parties/food being thrown at you. Just a handful spread out. Easily balanced if you are just aware and take a moment to plan."
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    It was thanksgiving in Canada on Oct 10. Turkey with apple and sausage stuffing, gravy, roast potatoes, yams and onions, vegetable 'surprise' (boiled and mashed carrots and turnip), pecan pies and a baked pumpkin pie cheesecake.

It was marvellous!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Halloween is my birthday, so anything goes. We actually almost always have a pot of chili so other than snacking in Halloween goodies and some cake/ice cream, I'm not too worried. I have to commit to keeping Halloween candy on Halloween (which I feel I can do). I have decided to keep it business as usual on Thanksgiving and Christmas and enjoy foods on those days and not before/after. In the grand scheme of things, I think it will be fine.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Halloween is my birthday, so anything goes. We actually almost always have a pot of chili so other than snacking in Halloween goodies and some cake/ice cream, I'm not too worried. I have to commit to keeping Halloween candy on Halloween (which I feel I can do). I have decided to keep it business as usual on Thanksgiving and Christmas and enjoy foods on those days and not before/after. In the grand scheme of things, I think it will be fine.

My birthday is the day after and I always claimed Halloween as my own as well lol... Candy!!! :D
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    I'll be cooking and will make healthier options, but in general I try and build up a bigger deficit the days prior and just watch my portions the day of.
  • Monisha4005
    Monisha4005 Posts: 10 Member
    As a sub for pumpkin pie you could make pumpkin cake/muffins/ cupcakes I made this recipe this week 1 Box Angel Food Mix +1 can 100% pumpkin + vanilla+ pumpkin pie spice + water made muffins and it is Approx 153 per muffin and tastes awesome. U could pair it with a low cal cool whip icing and not add much calories. I think this is a WW recipe pintrest is ur friend.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Nope, not too early. Thanksgiving is over already! (Bwahahah)
  • Chef_Barbell
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Nope, not too early. Thanksgiving is over already! (Bwahahah)

Next year I am celebrating both Thanksgivings :laugh: Pie X2.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I think I am going with a Hawaiian themed Thanksgiving:

Kalua chicken
    Spicy ahi poke
    Hawaiian sweet rolls
    Baked sweet potatoes
    Ginger wasabi chips
    Some type of green salad to balance out the meal
    Fresh pineapple
    Hawaiian beer

Passionfruit Island Lava
    Salted caramel pie (assuming Fred Meyer is still selling this - only buy at Thanksgiving)
    Irish cream on the rocks

The first time I made kalua pork, it was with a proper bone-in pork shoulder cut. It was out of this world delicious. I decided to try it the next time with pork loin because calories. Yeah, that was absolutely nowhere near as good. It was a waste of meat. Now pork is not an option period for this meal (long but doesn't have to do with calories - outside the scope of MFP). I can forget chicken breast, will dry out and not be as flavorful because it is basically the same as pork loin in terms of fat/connective tissue content. Bone-in chicken thighs though should be able to stand up to the long cooking time, be moist and flavorful.

I've made spicy ahi poke with ff mayo before. It tastes the same to me because a lot of the flavor is coming from the sriracha and sesame seed oil, not the mayo itself.

Hawaiian sweet rolls, this is what it is. I'll probably make this with half AP/half WWW flour, but otherwise, keeping to the recipe.

The baked sweet potatoes are going to be just pressure cooked in the IP and served with kosher salt and butter (both regular and ICBIINB Light). These are not going to be candied or covered in marshmallows or whatever.

Island Lava is so, so good. Going to splurge and pay the outrageous price to get it shipped to me if the Hawaiian store a few towns over does not have it.

This is my fourth weight loss maintenance Thanksgiving. Planning on again not calorie counting, but making sure I get in my 10k steps (probably will do this first thing in the morning). Assuming I even want to eat the next day, back to the old grind. NBD.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    I'm gong to eat everything that I love on Thanksgiving including stuffing and gravy. Lucky for me, I'm not that into pie so will have a bit (or pass!). I won't log what I eat on a holiday but I do try to not just eat for the sake of eating. When I wake up on Friday, It's back to normal for me. Entering EVERYTHING into MFP. That means much less stuffing & gravy from then on, of course! But there will be lots of lean turkey around and some awesome soup!
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    This is a recipe for loaded potato bites. They're the size of a golf ball. Even though the recipe is vegan you could easily just make it with traditional ingredients. Out of all the appetizer recipes I've made lately this is one of the lower calorie options per serving.
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/12/03/6-vegan-appetizers-for-parties-potlucks-holidays/
    l2cj901vvogv.jpg