Workout clothes

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    My workouts consist of barbell training at home, so workout clothes are Old Navy. Inexpensive, yes, but also the only place I can get compression leggings in Tall. They last, fit me perfectly, and don't get see through during squats.

Recreation/Outdoor is where I drop the big bucks. Like NorthCascades and Peleroja said, keeping comfortable in extreme conditions is super important, and those items don't come cheap.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I am a SAHM so most of my clothes consist of just workout wear, so I do spend a little more money on them. I buy a lot from Under Armour, but I tend to get it pretty cheap at the outlet or even on Ebay. I just started Fabletics, and so far I am loving the choices and I am happy with how it fits me. As for shoes, I pay a little more because as a runner I find that good support is important.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    I love my lululemon. I love how it fits and how comfortable it is. I wear my workout clothes pretty much every day and take good care of it. I put a lot of time and investment into taking care of my body so it's my fun, happy reward purchases. I usually buy something new whenever I meet a new goal. The swifty tanks and speed shorts 4 way stretch are my favorites. I always end up going back to those, it's like my uniform. I like alo airbrushed capris and Oiselle sports bras. I work out at 5am and I lay out my outfit the night before. It's more motivating for me to jump out of bed when I have something all ready that I like wearing and makes me feel good to go out the door. Worth the cost to me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2016
    I buy everything except shoes from Goodwill. I can always find a nice selection of good quality, name brand, high tech, lightly used (sometimes new) workout wear for $2- $10 per item. Now I just scan the racks for the weekly colored tag sale and see if there's anything I want. At these prices you can get something you like even if you don't "need" it.
  • Healthygeekster
    Healthygeekster Posts: 10 Member
    I have found that the more I like my workout clothes the better motivated I am and even more confident! I have all range of pricing but I have never spent more than$40 on a single Item (not counting shoes). I just look for sales all over the place! Even amazon has high end brands for really cheap if you buy the offseason color. just have to look
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Outside of my squat shoes and PL singlet (which are special equipment), pretty much whatever works and is comfortable. I haven't found a need for anything more expensive than a regular pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I spend a lot on shoes and am considering spending more on my clothes. I think the cheaper dri fit shirts tend to get stinky really fast. I just tossed out a shirt and bra because even though I had washed them, they were offensive.

I also spend money on good socks. Smart wool makes awesome socks that last a long time and fit well - I have big feet.

I will say that I do appreciate looking good in my workout clothes. I recently put on a long sleeve shirt for running that was way too tight in the spring and again wore it last week and it fit properly, I felt more like an athlete. My budget's pretty tight these days so I'll need to hunt down some clearance sale items, but won't go the super cheap route.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I don't go the cheap route. I purchase from Under Armor, Ivy Park, and Mika Yoga Wear. It all lasts a long time and is good quality.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    I buy what works well and look for sales.
    I wear mostly kids' athletic gear as I'm fairly petite and it's half the price or less, so I'm always on the lookout for, like, kids' Nike Pro tights on clearance racks and that kind of thing.

I recently discovered the same thing! I was at the Underarmor outlet and couldn't figure out why two nearly identical tanks were so different in price. Then I realized that one was Girls and the other Women's. Tried on the Girls XL and it fit just like the Women's small. Saved a ton of $.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    My workout clothes cost substantially more than my every day or work clothes. I have found that the cheap stuff needs to be replaced frequently and ends up costing more.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I tend to shop sales & clearance racks and outlets. For tops I'm not too picky. But I do adore my Victoria's secret bras. Not because I need the support, but because I need the shape so I don't look like a 12 year old boy. The VS tights are also great for giving nice shape to my saggy, middle-aged bottom. And they hold up extremely well. No holes in the knees even after several spectacular wipe outs during my pre-dawn runs. They can be pricey, but there are deals if you watch for them.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I'm all about the fitness gear! And definitely having the correct gear for the activity... Cycling? I wear a cycling kit. Yoga? Yoga clothes. I will buy things on sale, but I believe in buying well-made things that last rather than something cheap for the short term. And when it comes to safety (ski bindings, helmets, things like that)--I am willing to pay a premium for the safest, best quality. And my husband will tell you that I like pretty things, regardless of cost. When we were looking at a new road bike for me, it came down to two very comparable models. I chose what I felt was the prettier of the 2--of course it was the more expensive one.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    I spend more on athletic wear than my regular clothes. I can't train effectively if I'm uncomfortable, chafing, have blisters, too hot, etc. I do get a lot of shirts from participating in running training programs at the running store here. I love getting Lululemon bottoms as they are very high quality and last a long time. And one of the seams started to come undone on one of my pairs of crop pants, they had me send them back and sent me a Lululemon gift card to replace them, no charge. I get way too hot wearing cotton Tshirts so tech tank tops are the way to go. A good sports bra is imperative, wal mart won't cut it. Also good socks matter a lot when you're running 10 miles.

I do like to buy the stuff on sale when I can, however.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    For now I buy cheaply-priced items with the exception of sports bras and shoes. Once I get closer to goal weight (I'm pretty darn far from it now) I plan on spending a bit more as I'll be wearing it for much longer. For the time being it doesn't make much sense for me to get spendy items that I'm hoping to only wear for a few months and then size down.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    I wear things that are cheap, comfortable, and flattering enough that I like them. I hate spending money on clothing in general. The only exception are climbing shoes. I'll balk at paying $10 for a shirt, but I'll buy $175 climbing shoes like money is no object.

However, I also, again, hate buying clothes in general. If people like it and it motivates them, awesome!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I have never had to replace a piece of workout clothing because of it being worn out. My workout capris/shorts come from Marshall's, Target, or Kohl's. My tops can come from anywhere. Right now my favorite four tops are an old college t-shirt, a 5k freebie, and two pajama tank tops.

My shoes, on the other hand, are pricier. I justify the cost because they either will last a very long time (lifting shoes) or I wear them often enough that the per-usage cost is low (walking/running shoes.)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I have a mix of high-end stuff and lower-end stuff. I do like how the higher-end stuff generally holds up better (less resistant to pilling, not see-through when you squat, etc) but I really don't have the budget to be buying ALL high-end stuff. I usually wait for the holidays to get gift cards for the high-end stuff. This mainly pertains to pants as for tops, I usually just shop at Forever 21 or wear wrestling t-shirts.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I have some cheaper shirts from Walmart, but use them for yard work, etc. Under Armour is simply better. Sure, it costs more, but it it lasts longer. Hell, I have Nike shorts that are 10 years old.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    I buy cheap everything. I get most of my tanks and shorts from the walmart website on clearance, so everything's <$5. I do have some fancier nike/adidas stuff and the quality's pretty equivalent. Same sweat-wicking anti-microbial fabric. Leggings, on the other hand, are hit and miss; and I can't depend on price or brand to get ones I like. My favorites are from aeropostale, but not sold anymore :(. One day I'll spring for some fancier UA gear and see what I'm missing.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Oh, I love workout clothes and must have them. I make sure they are on sale or reasonably priced. But I don't just throw on anything. I pick out my gym attire or what I am wearing to the gym like I pick out my clothes....lol