How do you, personally, determine how much water to drink?

I always hear so many different things about water needs. Some people say drink half your weight in ounces per day. Some people go by the 8 cups rule, but I don't think either of those are really based in science, just suggestions. I have no clue how much water to drink in a day. I think I sweat more than most people, so that's a factor. Also I don't want to drink too much water, as it'll deplete the electrolytes from my body so that's bad too. And what if you drink a lot of water in the morning but taper off in the afternoon? I can't really use the pee test because I take multivitamins that make my pee yellow (which I know is excess vitamins my body doesn't need, but I don't want to stop taking supplements completely, just probably should take ones with less vitamins). I just want to hear how you personally determine how much water to drink.

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    By thirst.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I just drink when I'm thirsty.

There's no set amount that anyone "needs". It varies from person to person, day to day depending on activity, weather, how much water is in what you eat and tons of other factors. Just keep in simple and drink when you're thirsty. That's how we're designed.

(And i never did figure out those color charts. Did they mean the color in the toilet, because then it's diluted by water, and some toilets have more water than others... and if not the color in the toilet, do they expect you to pee in a cup or something? Probably overthinking...)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    8 cups isn't a "rule"...it's a general guideline...I take a multi vitamin too and have no issue using the pee test.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I drink when I'm thirsty, usually about100 ounces a day more or less depending on salt intake and/or exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    By thirst generally and an occasional colour of pee check

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    edited October 2016
    But I always hear that if you're thirsty you're too late. And for example I could go all day sitting in the air conditioned office not feeling particularly thirsty and not drinking anything, then go for a jog in the hot evening sun and feel thirsty and dehydrated, so I'd have to drink something prior to going jogging - how would one know what is enough?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    By thirst generally and an occasional colour of pee check

Courious what is the pee test?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    by thirst and color of pee.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    But I always hear that if you're thirsty you're too late. And for example I could go all day sitting in the air conditioned office not feeling particularly thirsty and not drinking anything, then go for a jog in the hot evening sun and feel thirsty and dehydrated, so I'd have to drink something prior to going jogging - how would one know what is enough?

They used to say that but it's not evidenced based. It's ok to just drink when you're thirsty and not force it. Here's some quotes from articles on a recent drinking study that might put you at ease:

"Farrell says the discovery is further evidence that controversial advice to deliberately drink fluids is wrong. “It shows we have several very subtle mechanisms for regulating the amount we drink. If left to your own devices, you will drink the requisite amount of water to maintain balance.”

Farrell says even people doing exercise just need to drink according to their thirst. “These are well refined mechanisms forged on the anvil of evolution.”
    -New Scientist

"If we just do what our body demands us to we'll probably get it right -- just drink according to thirst rather than an elaborate schedule." -Michael Farrell
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Thirst here too. But I pretty much keep a bottle with me at all times and drink a sip here and there.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I go by thirst too. In summer i can easily get through 3L a day, but in winter i struggle to finish my 1.5L bottle.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I drink a glass of water/tea with meals and then whenever I am thirsty.
    My urine is very light colored.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I go by whenever I feel like which is pretty often.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    I'm not a fan of rules. I just drink whenever I'm thirsty. Most of my food contains water too, so I stay hydrated. My pee said so. :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I always hear so many different things about water needs. Some people say drink half your weight in ounces per day. Some people go by the 8 cups rule, but I don't think either of those are really based in science, just suggestions. I have no clue how much water to drink in a day. I think I sweat more than most people, so that's a factor. Also I don't want to drink too much water, as it'll deplete the electrolytes from my body so that's bad too. And what if you drink a lot of water in the morning but taper off in the afternoon? I can't really use the pee test because I take multivitamins that make my pee yellow (which I know is excess vitamins my body doesn't need, but I don't want to stop taking supplements completely, just probably should take ones with less vitamins). I just want to hear how you personally determine how much water to drink.

My mother-in-law always told us we weren't drinking enough. Then her doctor told her she was drinking too much!! Her body was deficient of stuff that the water completely washed out.

I aim for 8 glasses but sometimes don't even get halfway there.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Thirst.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    By thirst.

Yup.

I tend to drink throughout the day, so I imagine I end up drinking a lot (and I am not worried I will drink too much), but I really think your body can handle this. Check pee color if you are worried.