My First Time on My Fitness Pal instead of Weight Watchers

Options
2»

Replies

• bonnienicholson
    bonnienicholson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You have all been a great help. Thank you so much.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I avoid salads. Any day while I'm losing weight that can be achieved within calories without having to resort to salad is a win in my book. Unless you adore salad and would eat it every day regardless of weight loss salad, I would say ditch it in favor of foods that you WANT to eat.

I will say that sometimes now I choose cheese OR sour cream on taco night to stay within goal. Those kind of compromises make sense, and TBH, I don't really miss the sour cream or feel the meal is incomplete without it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I hated WW. I find MFP is easier and makes more sense.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I like a salad made with baby spinach and some kind of protein. I find it filling and tasty.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    the only time i eat salads is when I put my meal on top of the lettuce, otherwise it's not filling. I'm actually eating more bread & potatoes, something i hardly ever ate before, but always loved & am loosing weight. I really like mfp. I can eat whatever i want within the daily calories i have and I have & am learning to eat more variety of foods. I love zucchini & green beans, i can eat alot of those without going over, I also put those in my smoothies along with fruits
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    on another note, when i first started mfp, I went out to lunch with a friend. I had a large cesar salad. When i logged it, it was over 450 cal!! since then, i'll have grilled chicken, ground turkey or beef with baked potato, butter, green beans & occationally 1/2 ice cream on a cone. So filling & less or a little more calories than that salad depending what kind of meat i had
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - on your diary page, click nutrition (bottom), then highlight calories. In the top middle, you can toggle between daily and weekly. Just keep the weekly number at goal and you should be fine.
  • Christiee1993x
    Christiee1993x Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your WEEKLY calorie goal. I aim for that more than daily, if I eat 1200 one day but 2000 the next I don't care so long as it evens out. My daily goal is 1680 a day, I try to save 80-180 of those a day if I know I am going out on a weekend or something. Those are my 49 weekly PP :) I use to do weightwatchers on and off but hate the fact fruit and veg were free, they still had calories after all! Though I don't beat myself up if I go over goal now and have had a good day loaded with fruit and veg.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Oh I do eat lettuce, but its to add some greens to a meal like Evamutt basically said (put my dinner on top of some lettuce). Its a nutrient addition, not the star...would never call it a salad. I suppose its semantic at somepoint if you call two chicken breasts ripped up and put over a bed of lettuce a "Salad" or not.

When I picture a salad I picture lettuce with dressing and like some seasame seeds or some small pieces of chicken or bacon tossed in. I don't think thats a good "go-to" for an entire meal for someone who is attempting to lose weight because most of the calories end up coming from a dressing which is basically oil.
  • flipflopfridays6071
    Options
    OP: You said beans are high in cholesterol....that's not true. Black beans and garbanzo beans that you mentioned have zero cholesterol. Make sure you are reading labels correctly.

• Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of salads, but I like salads. Sometimes they are a side for bulk, sometimes they are the meal ( or as Aaron says a meal on a bed of lettuce lol). My typical side salad is about 140 calories due to cheese and croutons and dressing, so more than a side of green beans or other veggies. But as I said, I enjoy them.

Coming from weight watchers, it will take a bit to get used to the reality of calories. That free Apple is now 80- 100 calories. But that 7 point serving of 23 Mike and Ike candies is only 140 calories. You're not being manipulated to make the "right" choices with punishingy inflated points values any longer.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    i can understand the free fruit and veggies .. when your my size its hard to eat enough of them to go over calories ..
    I do count mine now towards my goal , but there are times im at goal and still hungry so an apple is my go to fruit ,, and i do log the apple

Good luck and welcome to MFP , the system works and gets easier the longer you use it . i find i eat alot of the same foods so logging is easy