Not eating enough carbs-does this matter?

I'm having no problem reaching my daily calorie goal and often go over it slightly. I always hit the protein goal and go over with fat but struggle to get the carbs.
I've realised this could be due to the database as some foods don't have carbs recorded but I do find it hard to fill up on carbs as my appetite is small. Does this matter? I know that calories are calories, but keep reading here that carbs are crucial for weight gain.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Use the correct entries on here. If they don't have it; create one yourself. There is no point logging random foods that don't reflect what you consume.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Use the correct entries on here. If they don't have it; create one yourself. There is no point logging random foods that don't reflect what you consume.

Very true. They reflect the calories (when I'm able to check- it's not always possible;eg a loaf of bread from the local bakery)but I've realised they don't always reflect the carbs and protein content
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member

Very true. They reflect the calories (when I'm able to check- it's not always possible;eg a loaf of bread from the local bakery)but I've realised they don't always reflect the carbs and protein content

When that happens and you don't want to create a whole new entry, you can always add macro grams manually. Just search in the food database carb gram and they'll be an entry for 1 carb 0 calories. On the flip side they also have a minus carb gram which is -1 carb 0 calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

When that happens and you don't want to create a whole new entry, you can always add macro grams manually. Just search in the food database carb gram and they'll be an entry for 1 carb 0 calories. On the flip side they also have a minus carb gram which is -1 carb 0 calories.

Very good way to do it!
  • comptonelizabeth

Very good way to do it!

Thanks,that's really helpful!
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    I'm having no problem reaching my daily calorie goal and often go over it slightly. I always hit the protein goal and go over with fat but struggle to get the carbs.
    I've realised this could be due to the database as some foods don't have carbs recorded but I do find it hard to fill up on carbs as my appetite is small. Does this matter? I know that calories are calories, but keep reading here that carbs are crucial for weight gain.

Only if you feel like you have no energy, other wise It doesn't matter.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I would like to add that I eat low carb, and I have still been able to gain weight.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I would like to add that I eat low carb, and I have still been able to gain weight.

That's good to hear. Hard to get in the carbs whilst controlling the ibd!
    I do now realise,though,that I may not have been recording some foods correctly- the calories are accurate but the macros less so!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If your energy level is good, hitting your minimal protien and fat requirements is number one.

Carbs are important for bulking in the aspect they give you energy to hit the weights hard and be replenished in energy and muscle repair wit proper rest.

If you are drained, you are not lifting at optimal energy level.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    If your energy level is good, hitting your minimal protien and fat requirements is number one.

Carbs are important for bulking in the aspect they give you energy to hit the weights hard and be replenished in energy and muscle repair wit proper rest.

If you are drained, you are not lifting at optimal energy level.

Thanks - that's helpful. I'm not feeling drained but at the moment I'm only following a beginner's body weight programme so guess I'll need to up the carbs as I progress.
    Thank you for explaining!