How much water?

Options
How much extra water should one drink to help with weight loss?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    All the water! Seriously minimum 64oz and more. Helps with satiety (fullness) so you don't eat as much which will help with weight loss. Ultimately caloric deficit is what causes weight loss, not water.
  • celestial2763
    celestial2763 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok makes sense thank you
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Water will help fill you up but won't help you lose weight technically. If you're an avid soda drinker flavored water may help you to keep from adding calories that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Water doesn't have anything to do with weight loss...there is more to health and well being than weight loss...staying hydrated is healthy and good for the body and helps your body function optimally...

There is no magic number...just stay hydrated...

8414092_f520.jpg
  • celestial2763
    Options
    Thats true..i remember seeing something where you multiplied your weight by something to get how many ounces you were to drink (at least) daily..just can't remember where i saw it
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Thats true..i remember seeing something where you multiplied your weight by something to get how many ounces you were to drink (at least) daily..just can't remember where i saw it

Nah...it's highly variable...

I live in the desert at over a mile high and train like my life depends on it (because it does)...I need more water to stay hydrated than someone living at sea level in a temperate climate who is sedentary...

All of the "multiply X by weight" or 8 cups a day kind of stuff are just arbitrary guidelines...you need enough water to be hydrated and that is all...and don't forget, you get water from food as well as what you drink.
  • celestial2763
    Options
    I kinda figured it varied per person based on lifestyles, locations,health etc..working as a health aide for almost 30yrs you see quite the variety..I was just looking for a base line and I myself would need additional water due to my health I want to make sure I take in enough especially with the cold weather coming :|
  • flipflopfridays6071
    Options
    I aim for a gallon a day...I pee a lot too! :D
  • RobynTheresa
    RobynTheresa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Water doesn't have anything to do with weight loss...there is more to health and well being than weight loss...staying hydrated is healthy and good for the body and helps your body function optimally...

There is no magic number...just stay hydrated...

8414092_f520.jpg

This is a very good guide for most people, however certain medications can discolour the urine, in which case the chart can be misleading, so be aware of the effects of your medications. Some dietary supplements can also discolour the urine.
  • RobynTheresa
    RobynTheresa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Adequate hydration is necessary for weight loss precisely because water is needed in order for the body to function optimally. If the body isn't functioning well, harder to lose weight. Plus fluid retention results.

Having said that agree with above posters saying variable depending on climate, activity levels and body size. Bigger people need more, high activity levels (lot of sweating) need more.

Good rule of thumb is 2 litres a day then adjust upwards for other factors.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I kinda figured it varied per person based on lifestyles, locations,health etc..working as a health aide for almost 30yrs you see quite the variety..I was just looking for a base line and I myself would need additional water due to my health I want to make sure I take in enough especially with the cold weather coming :|

8 cups (2 liters) per day is a good baseline to start with...you can adjust up from there if need be.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was told by a dietetics student (although who knows how accurate this is) that you should drink to stay hydrated, because it will help a little with satiety, and that when the body has enough water it sort of keeps your metabolism working. It's when your body doesn't have enough that things slow down.

Maybe that's true. Maybe it isn't, but I feel better when I get my 64 ounces in.
  • celestial2763
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great tips.. gonna work towards 12c doing 8c right now plus all the xtra water will take the place of some of the food! I just better not wander off to far at first! ;)