Modified cardio in the 30 day shred??

Options
I know, I know, there is no modified jacks... blah blah blah.. but today on day 6 of level 1, I found pain in the knees. ONLY when doing the jacks, jump rope and butt kicks. Even on my mat. I have had surgery on one knee and the other a dislocation that needed surgery but that is a whole other post. I have been pushing to do the shred and find myself needing to watch the knee impact at the moment.

What would be a modified jack? I know for butt kicks, I just try to jog in place. Then for the jump rope, will the motion of jumping without getting air be enough? I can get away with maybe 1 or 2 sets, but not the whole cardio sets. When I am in the pool, I really try to work what I cannot do on land more.

I think I may have just worked it too hard yesterday, as I did almost all the cardio jacks and kicks.... lol

Much thanks! :)

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I was having issues with my ankles and knees during level 1 when I first started. I would jog in place, and do some high knees which are in level 2. You can always substitute a plank in there. She does a lot of them in level 2 and in her new dvd im doing for one of the cardio moves we just hold a plank for 30 seconds.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    replace it with upper body cardio. i injured ankle and knees during the shred. instead of doing those things i would grab my weights and throw punches with them while doing a small squat. that really got my heart rate up. or i would do pushups-which also got my heart rate going too. good luck!
  • panda_rocks
    panda_rocks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what your knee issues were, but I have had horrible knees since I was a teen (caused from overuse etc)...
    I use knee straps. I NEED them when I run, or I dont last long due to agonizing pain...also, I find when doing certain activities (lunges, squats, and yes sometimes Jumping jacks) I need them too to get through...
    http://www.kneesupport.com/straps/index.htm

If you havent, give them a try....they made the world of difference in my workouts...
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I step side to side with high steps and touch the inside foot beside the one I just stepped with and move my arms much like a jumping jack. Its not as intense, but my knee pain was the same and after 10 days I just had to lay off of all impact for a while. Maybe add 1lb weights to get heart rate up more?

I have no idea how people can do jumping jacks, they just slay me.

I'm going to try this again soon, back ache today so I'm going to stick with the interval training on the treadmill again today.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Same as STC74! I step side to side and do the same arm motion as a jumping jack.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I'd check with your doctor to see if the 30DS is doing more harm to your knees than good. I've had two reconstructive knee surgeries and will likely need knee replacement in a few years, and haven't had any pain in them with the 30DS. Have you done good physical therapy? Maybe you need to work on strengthening hamstrings/quads before doing this? Just a thought...
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Just do the body punches, as she tells you to if you have a lower body injury! Great cardio! I did that when I bruised my tailbone!
  • change_happens
    Options
    Modified.... I hear ya! I have knee issues from time to time. Modified jup in jacks - squat just a little for intensity and move one leg out as you move your arm.

Modified butt kicks - push your hands away from your chest as you do front kicks. You don't have to go very high, low is still quite efficient.

Modified cardio - just do everything without the hops and jumps.

I am sure that others will have other modifications. So you are going to have a list of things to choose from :-)
  • change_happens
    Options
    I step side to side with high steps and touch the inside foot beside the one I just stepped with and move my arms much like a jumping jack. Its not as intense, but my knee pain was the same and after 10 days I just had to lay off of all impact for a while. Maybe add 1lb weights to get heart rate up more?

I have no idea how people can do jumping jacks, they just slay me.

I'm going to try this again soon, back ache today so I'm going to stick with the interval training on the treadmill again today.

Good that you are finding something else to do. Stay motivated :-)
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I told my dr of the dancing (zumba, which I have to watch the moves or I will have sore knees there too), biking, walking with a light jog and then the elliptical and I was clear on those.

I had done PT when I had my issues, except, the PT messed up my knee more due to the way my muscles moved when it dislocated.

If I can get through 5 days without pain in the knees, then I know I have the strength to get through it. I just want to do it without injury. That is why I was asking. I knew i could not be the only person that has this same issue, but wants to lose weight. I think I will try modified mixed with the reg and see what that does.

Thanks, thanks, thanks! :)