Weight loss plateau??

Options
OK so let me begin with this, roughly 6 Months ago I was Huge! Even larger than I am now, I was weighing in at 619lbs. I know disgusting. Everybody has an excuse for why they got there, bad home life, depression, anxiety, yadda, yadda, yadda, well I battled with depression for years but still I feel its no excuse for getting to that point.I planned to pursue weight loss surgery, im sure everyone is familiar with the show My 600lb life, it details morbidly obese people such as myself. Rather than going under the knife and risking my life or whatever was left of it I chose to re-evaluate myself and I finally made a change. My sister told me about this app called My fitness pal so I downloaded it and it has been a godsend. I decided to quit moping and blaming everything and everyone else for my weight problem and get off my lazy butt. I began this past May by tracking my calories and adding in some form of fitness. I liked Tae Bo. In the begenning I could barely do an 8 minute video. But over the past few months I've worked really hard built up my endurance and now can sucessfully perform 1 solid hour of Tae Bo. And still have a little gas in the tank. Im now down to 492lbs. still excessively overweight I know but ive come to a point now where im barely seeing the scale move if at all, Ive heard of weight loss platueas but do they still happen to extremly overweight people like myself. Im very determined and I workout everyday from 3pm-4pm. I only take off on Saturdays and Sundays. Im now to a point where im keeping my daily calorie goal from 1200-1400 no more. I also drink 1 gallon of water all throughout the day everyday. I eat a lot of protein with baked chicken skinless and boneless, as well as shrimp and fish and oatmeal. I eat plenty of veggies such as iceberg lettuce, green onions, tomatos, avacados and greenbeans and cilantro. Now my question is what steps should I take to breakthrough this "plateau" if this is in fact what is happening. Also to note the Tae Bo videos I do everyday are the same few videos that i alternate between could this be the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Replies

• skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    OK so let me begin with this, roughly 6 Months ago I was Huge! Even larger than I am now, I was weighing in at 619lbs. I know disgusting. Everybody has an excuse for why they got there, bad home life, depression, anxiety, yadda, yadda, yadda, well I battled with depression for years but still I feel its no excuse for getting to that point.I planned to pursue weight loss surgery, im sure everyone is familiar with the show My 600lb life, it details morbidly obese people such as myself. Rather than going under the knife and risking my life or whatever was left of it I chose to re-evaluate myself and I finally made a change. My sister told me about this app called My fitness pal so I downloaded it and it has been a godsend. I decided to quit moping and blaming everything and everyone else for my weight problem and get off my lazy butt. I began this past May by tracking my calories and adding in some form of fitness. I liked Tae Bo. In the begenning I could barely do an 8 minute video. But over the past few months I've worked really hard built up my endurance and now can sucessfully perform 1 solid hour of Tae Bo. And still have a little gas in the tank. Im now down to 492lbs. still excessively overweight I know but ive come to a point now where im barely seeing the scale move if at all, Ive heard of weight loss platueas but do they still happen to extremly overweight people like myself. Im very determined and I workout everyday from 3pm-4pm. I only take off on Saturdays and Sundays. Im now to a point where im keeping my daily calorie goal from 1200-1400 no more. I also drink 1 gallon of water all throughout the day everyday. I eat a lot of protein with baked chicken skinless and boneless, as well as shrimp and fish and oatmeal. I eat plenty of veggies such as iceberg lettuce, green onions, tomatos, avacados and greenbeans and cilantro. Now my question is what steps should I take to breakthrough this "plateau" if this is in fact what is happening. Also to note the Tae Bo videos I do everyday are the same few videos that i alternate between could this be the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

I just want to congratulate you for your huge weight loss. and personally, i am having the same problem as you. no change on the scale for 4 weeks now. but i guess one of the questions for you. is when was the last time you noticed any changes on the scale? i guess most people wouldn't consider it a weight plateau unless it was 5 weeks or more.
  • kimteale93
    kimteale93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. Have you ever considered your body is "whooshing"?? Basically when u burn the fat the body stores water in your fat cells to keep the cells open incase any fat was to return... but after a while u lose the water and the fat cells then collapse... u might find tat you don't lose any weight for a week or two because of this reason and then all of a sudden u lose like 10lbs in one go... hope u continue with your amazing journey. U are truly and inspiration xx
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    what an amazing change you've made. That takes strength. My initial thought is 1200 seems low for a man... are you eating enough? Maybe bump it up to 1500 or 1600.
  • Rohman24
    Rohman24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well done sounds like you're doing amazing! I've watched a lot of the TV show with Chris Powell 'a year to save my life' and in all cases the 'phase 2' as he puts it is the hardest part and so don't think that you're alone. It seems that you have got to that point and have got slightly annoyed by how much the scales have slowed down even know you are putting the right work in! Just keep going and push through it! Like someone else mentioned time will pass, so make sure when you look back in 3 months you can say that you have it your all and you will see results!
    Good luck
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Wow really good progress!!

Remember weight loss is never steady and it does slow down over time and as you lose weight.

But also you have been doing this a while and are at a very low calorie intake! You metabolism may be slowing down-
    Have you considered taking a diet break to let it recover? This is where you eat at your maintenance calories for a few weeks or a couple months, then go back into a deficit.

Or look up re-feed days. This is similar but you basically once a week eat at or slightly above your maintenance calories and eat high carb. This spikes your metabolism and weight loss hormones.

I'm not sure about the success of this in very overweight or obese individuals but it sounds like you're eating low carb which eventually depresses weight loss hormones, and you've been eating very low calorie for a long time which depresses the metabolism- so it might not be a bad idea to try one of these (diet break or refeed days)

Good luck and congratulations on making a change and getting this far!!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    You also may want to consider actually increasing you calories in general- I believe 1500 is the bare minimum for a male, and most need much more.

You could also reverse diet up to maintenance calories for a while- sort of like the diet break but you slowly increase calories little by little over a few weeks or months to avoid rebound weight gain- when you increase slowly your metabolism has a chance to increase at the same rate as calories increase. There will still be a little weight gain but not as much as if you jumped straight up to maintenance, then when you get to maintenance calories and your metabolism is higher you can go into a deficit again but not such a drastic one- so next time you plateau you have room to drop calories. Right now your calories are so low you have no room to drop them any further when you plateau.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, how long has the scale stalled for? That's important, short stalls are common due to water weight fluctuations and will become more noticeable as you get lighter, because your weight loss will gradually slow down and so the water fluctuation becomes bigger compared to the fat loss each week. If you can give us an idea of how much weight you have been losing each week so far, and how long the stall has been going on for, we can give you a better idea if there is something you need to change in your approach, or if you just need to adjust your expectations.

And huge congratulations on your loss so far, it's a staggering achievement - as is your improvement in fitness.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by the scale barely moving? Different people define that differently. How many pounds have you lost during each of the past four weeks?

Congrats on the huge loss so far!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Yeah- is the scale not moving at all... or are you still losing but just more slowly than before? The latter is completely normal. The less weight you have to lose the slower it comes off. Losing 10 pounds probably seems like nothing to you, but for me that takes 4 to 5 months to come off. What are the #s here?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Since you've lost 100 pound (congrats) it may be time to recalculate your new stats. 1200-1400 is too aggressively low for someone your size.

You may have enjoyed losing weight quickly at first, but it isn't good to stay long on a VLCD. It might be time to up your calories slightly to a more sustainable long term level and work on weight management more slowly.

You can expect a loss of 1-2 pounds on average, but you will likely lose more from time to time since you have more to lose.

Also, like others mentioned, you will have "fake out" scale readings that are recording water retention and may experience a sudden woosh loss soon. Keep going and try not to let little stalls upset you. Look at the overall picture.
  • fordfan1993
    fordfan1993 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, how long has the scale stalled for? That's important, short stalls are common due to water weight fluctuations and will become more noticeable as you get lighter, because your weight loss will gradually slow down and so the water fluctuation becomes bigger compared to the fat loss each week. If you can give us an idea of how much weight you have been losing each week so far, and how long the stall has been going on for, we can give you a better idea if there is something you need to change in your approach, or if you just need to adjust your expectations.

And huge congratulations on your loss so far, it's a staggering achievement - as is your improvement in fitness.

My weight loss is typically 18-20lbs over each three week period which is the interval of time that I go to the gym to weigh. So I would say roughly 9-10lbs a week. But my latest trip to the scale still over a 3 week period I only dropped 5lbs.
  • fordfan1993
    Options
    My weight loss is typically 18-20lbs over each three week period which is the interval of time that I go to the gym to weigh. So I would say roughly 9-10lbs a week. But my latest trip to the scale still over a 3 week period I only dropped 5lbs.
  • jemhh
    Options

Ok, then that is not a plateau. A plateau would be no scale movement in 3+ weeks for a man.

To be honest, I don't know that I can give great advice on this because of your size. In general, I warn people against overly large deficits. But I know that oftentimes bariatric patients are advised to use a very low calorie goal because of the health risks of them being at the higher weight. Saying "that goal is too low" may not be the best advice here. Have you worked with a doctor or dietitian at all?

By the way, are you actually eating 1200-1400 or are you netting that after taking into account exercise calories?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Weight loss is not perfectly linear and you shouldn't predict the same losses week to week. You are still losing weight...at 492 pounds and an intake of 1400 calories there is no way you wouldn't be. This is going to be a long road, but sounds like you got this...just stick with it. Eventually the only surgery you'll be considering is excess skin removal.
  • fordfan1993
    Options
    That is my actual calorie intake by the end of my day. I do not calculate my exercise calories as to keep my calorie counting more simple and easyier to track. No I am not working with doctor or dietitian so far, its just me and my sister helps to keep me motivated. The scale stall has been roughly three weeks I have yet to return to weigh and see if a signifigant change has happened.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    That is my actual calorie intake by the end of my day. I do not calculate my exercise calories as to keep my calorie counting more simple and easyier to track. No I am not working with doctor or dietitian so far, its just me and my sister helps to keep me motivated. The scale stall has been roughly three weeks I have yet to return to weigh and see if a signifigant change has happened.

You lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks that is not a stall. You'd better disuade yourself of the notion that you are going to be thin in 6 months this is going to take time, but stick with it and don't let losses smaller than some you have seen in the past discourage you.
  • jemhh
    Options

Did you have the 5 lb loss the last time you were at the gym or the time before that?

I really think that this may have just been a blip that can fall under "weight loss is not linear." When losing weight, some weeks will be big losses and some will be small. This is your first "small" weigh-in (remembering that "small" is relative) and that is why it feels like a plateau. If you stick with the 1400, you will continue losing weight for quite awhile.

I tried to look up low calorie diets (VLCDs are 800 calories so your diet would just be consider LCD) and the only risk I've found so far is a possible increased risk of gallstones if you lose more than 3 pounds per week. I think it is fantastic that you have come this far on your own and with your sister's help. It shows a lot of dedication and hard work. I do think you should check in with a doctor, just so that you can get a baseline idea of how to handle things going forward.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider, among all that was said above, is the weather is cooling. Has your gym attire changed? Going from a pair of shorts to a pair of sweats, even on a size zero woman, can add 1- 2lbs clothes are heavy!

Also, having battled depression myself, don't forget to be kind to yourself The work and grit it takes to remain at your very aggressive deficit can wear on you mentally and physocally. A controlled diet break may be good for body and mind. The stress, mental and physical, of dieting can raise cortisol production. Cortisol increases can cause water retention among other issues. Diet breaks can release that stress and refresh you.

I know you're rolling your eyes and thinking this chick is crazy. I thought the idea was nuts too. I've not been in your shoes, but my highest weight ever, at 5'5'" and 264 put me squarely into morbid obesity. I love food. I used it as comfort and celebration and stimulation. When I contemplated taking my own diet break, I worried I'd fall off the motivation bandwagon. I did keep logging. I was mindful to include healthier foods and not just McDonald's and pizza. But by a week in I was full. AND ready to get back to my deficit. And lost 4lbs that 10 days (cortisol water release? Maybe?)

I also used that time to really evaluate my deficit and goals. In the end I decided to slow my loss, eat more day to day and hopefully not stress my body as badly. It's worked. I'm happier, more comfortable and losing at a rate I'm pleased with, even if it's slower than the tabloids say is possible.

By the way, I ran a quick tdee calculation for your weight, on a 6 foot 25 year old sedentary man. To maintain, your calories would be in the neighborhood of 4500 per day. You can easily increase your daily calories, lose very nicely AND fuel your body a bit better. Even eating 2500 per day you would lose in the neighborhood of 4lbs per week. And at 492lbs, that's within the safe range of 1% of your body weight per week. Remember, you built some awesome leg muscles hauling around all that weight and you want to keep as much of that as possible. Losing more slowly will aid in that process.
  • fordfan1993
    Options
    Thank you, my small victories seem to refuel me somewhat and helps me keep my endgoal insight. But I will definately try changing my attire. Your imput is greatly appreciated.