Upcoming Trip - need advice on how to stay on track

Options
I'm going back to my hometown and old work place for a few days. I am really excited to see people, eat at some favorite restaurants and have a few drinks but need advice on how to stay on track.

I know a lot of answers will be to earn exercise calories but I need ways to do that without a treadmill or weights. I also would love to eat some tasty food instead of just salads the whole weekend.

Any words of advice? Is it ok to take a few days off or is it a slippery slope?

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Walk.....everywhere you can....no treadmill or weights required. That way, you are earning exercise calories, seeing friends, eating at favorite places, and still staying on track somewhat.
    I am heading out of town this weekend, and plan to start each day with a walk, just like I do when I am at home.
    Good luck,
    Kaye
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Enjoy the trip :)
    With proper planning you should be able to enjoy the trip - most people get afraid of not getting BACK into exercise after they get back... If you feel like you will do so - Don't stress it TOO much...

I also find that I tend to actually crave the better food these days so a nice restaurant and I still want chicken or fish in lieu of a greasy burger you know?

Walking is a great idea - also things like lunges (front and side) will do wonders without weights, squats, pushups (if you can't do a pushup - use the bathroom counter or a couch arm) - no weights needed...

It's important to give ourselves a *little* break from time to time and as long as we haven't fallen off the horse but just hopped down for a quick break - you aren't hurting yourself...

:)
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    having been on 2 vacations in the last 4 months, here is what i learned:

1, pack workout clothes if your staying at a place that has a gym. Just b/c your on vacation doesnt mean you dont have to work out like normal.
    2. no gym = walk EVERYWHERE! Make suer you pack/buy healthy snacks. Eatting out at restaurants can be difficult. Have protein for breakfast and 1 carb (eggs and 1 piece of toast), have a healthy lunch, try to have a salad or HALF a sandwich.
    3. Enjoy your dinner. Stay away from sauces and gravies. Try for protein and veggies.
    4. allow yourself 1 cocktail at dinner for being good all day.
    5. NO DESSERT! If you must, only a forkful is allowed.
    6. Sleep... enjoy 8 full hours or more when possible. You body deserves rest.
    7. Most importantly............Have fun and log your food/exercise every day!
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Moderation on food and drink will help. Enjoy yourself!
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    Okay so i went on a mini vacay w/ some friends to Lake Barkeley not too long ago. But i took my Turbofire dvds and did that in the morning. So just definitely walk a lot, squeezing your glutes and flexing your abs as much as you can remember too. Park as far away from wherever you are going to eat or shop to get that extra walking. Take stairs not elevator or escalator.

Food- ask them to cook your meat in extra virgin olive oil. Tell them to leave the butter off. Opt for salad instead of rolls. Or if you are going to eat bread ask for whole grain if there's the option. if you eat the bread be very light on the butter. Go for lean meats. Fish if you like it. dont eat anything fried, eat all grilled. Snack on something before you go out to eat like a piece of fruit or something so that when you are at the restaurant you aren't that hungry. When you are eating dont drink a lot so that your body can digest the food properly and not digest the fluid & let the food sit in limbo until fluid digested.

Ask for skinny girl margarita or martini. Almost everyone has it. Or go for grey goose and cranberry juice. dont drink beer or margaritas they are real high cal.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I actually just got back from vacation and i actually lost weight!!! i "snacked" during the day, ate anything and everything but never ate a full meal. I did not stress about watching calories, i enjoyed my time off. I drank water almost all day, had a coke here or there but no alcohol. good luck and have fun on your vacation!!
  • skasi1
    skasi1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!