Salad dressing

Options
KetoKris
KetoKris Posts: 78 Member
90% of my caloric intake consist of vegetables.......a.k.a. salad........topped with a protein. Usually chicken or turkey. Although I love vegetables, it's getting a bit boring. Any suggestions for a low-calorie dressing?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason for avoiding fats? I generally use regular or light dressing in moderate amounts.

Newman's Light Sesame Ginger is 38 calories for 2 Tbls. Great on a salad with grilled chicken, almonds, mandarin oranges and snap peas.

Greek yogurt & milk can be a great base for dry ranch dressing packets.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    bleu cheese is my favorite

sometimes I just use sour cream instead of dressing

not sure if either is low calorie, but more flavor means less dressing needed
  • KetoKris
    Options
    No medical reason. I'm just trying to lose weight so trying to keep my calories down. Those sound like good options I will definitely try.
  • ktra2014
    ktra2014 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting your veggies? I recently discovered it and I'm loving it, it completely changes the taste and is not as boring as steamed. I don't usually have salad dressing but when I do I like balsamic or vinegar.
  • KetoKris
    Options
    bleu cheese is my favorite

sometimes I just use sour cream instead of dressing

not sure if either is low calorie, but more flavor means less dressing needed

I use nonfat Greek yogurt on tacos instead of sour cream.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Salsa
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Might sound daft but I was surprised how much salt and pepper makes a salad taste better! Also balsamic vinegar and maybe just mixing up some new toppings - a few almonds or some seeds or some chopped apple/strawberry
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    lemon juice. either mixed with olive oil salt and pepper or on its own.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    There is a raspberry vinaigrette by Maple Grove Farms (sugar free) very low calorie (5 calories for 2TBS) that I like. My favorite is Wishbone fat free chunky blue cheese. It is only 30 calories for 2 TBS. I eat this all the time and have thinly sliced steak and Treasure Cave blue cheese crumbles on top of my greens. I have this almost every day.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar with salt and pepper is my go-to.

This. If you like goat cheese, add a little dollop to make it creamy. Mmm. Also good if you swap the vinegar for lemon. Particularly good on baby arugula.

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    my father in law uses only vinegar on this salads... you can find some amazing infused vinegars all over the place. tastes great and has zero calorie (I think)...
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes some pretty amazing dressing. In the cooler section near the vegetables usually.
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Having good fats with vegetables aid in vitamin absorption - just a little tidbit. That being said, I like hummus (you can thin it with a little water) and this:
    http://gimmedelicious.com/2015/09/27/creamy-avocado-cilantro-lime-dressing/
  • KetoKris
    Options
    Becca_250 wrote: »
    Might sound daft but I was surprised how much salt and pepper makes a salad taste better! Also balsamic vinegar and maybe just mixing up some new toppings - a few almonds or some seeds or some chopped apple/strawberry

I totally agree with the nuts and seeds. I put pumpkin and sunflower seeds and Chia in every salad I eat!

• KetoKris
    Options
    pbandwine wrote: »
    Having good fats with vegetables aid in vitamin absorption - just a little tidbit. That being said, I like hummus (you can thin it with a little water) and this:
    http://gimmedelicious.com/2015/09/27/creamy-avocado-cilantro-lime-dressing/

That dressing sounds amazing!

• DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I buy super fancy vinegars and just use those. The Olive Mill Stores has a great selection. I especially like the white peach balsamic and the serrano chili honey balsamic vinegar. They're like 15-30 calories per serving.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I only use a variety of hot sauces. Rather save my calories for ice cream. And hot sauce rocks.
  • conquertheself
    conquertheself Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Some awesome dressing and super natural healthy ones can be taking from raw vegan recipes. Here is a video of 5 different ones that can be tried out and they are pretty healthy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_z9xhwjOOw