Tinned soup

Options
Hi y'all
So I've been doing LCHF for 12 weeks. Doing very well
However this week I am poorly (stinking cold, cough, feeling very sorry for myself etc etc)
So my diet has gone to pot as I've actually been eating mostly carbs and very little protein.
Although I am still making sure I'm staying under my calorie allowance.
I love soup when I'm poorly and had a tin of Heinz mulligatawny last night and was a bit worried about how much sodium is in it.

Does anyone know of a good brand in the U.K. That offers low sodium/sugar?

Thanks xx

Replies

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question,

but if you feel well enough to throw a small chicken and halved onion, a couple of carrots, and a stalk or two of celery into a pot with some water you could make yourself a really nice soup and just add as much salt as you like.

eta: I hope you feel well soon!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Heinz do low salt/no added sugar soups. The label has a blue stripe from what I can recall.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just add water to the soup to reduce the sodium. Then add some garlic powder or dry herb to add flavor, get well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Just add water to the soup to reduce the sodium. Then add some garlic powder or dry herb to add flavor, get well.

You're not actually reducing the sodium if you do this, you're just diluting it down so that it doesn't taste as salty. If the OP dilutes the soup and then eats it all anyway, they're still taking in the same amount of sodium.

I used to have this same argument with my grandmother. LOL
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they do low sodium options, if not Heinz then other brands. BUT, why is sodium as issue? Particularly if you're keto my understanding is you need more sodium than average anyway? it may cause a little water retention but if you have no health conditions that call for watching sodium then I wouldn't worry.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

You're not actually reducing the sodium if you do this, you're just diluting it down so that it doesn't taste as salty. If the OP dilutes the soup and then eats it all anyway, they're still taking in the same amount of sodium.

But you COULD eat half the diluted soup and thereby eat half the sodium. Just sayin.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

But you COULD eat half the diluted soup and thereby eat half the sodium. Just sayin.

Definitely...but she didn't :smile:
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I hope you can find a low sodium option. If it were me i'd just eat the soup and be done with it. I'd just keep logging and stay within my calorie goals.

Once I got better, i'd make a good bone broth, use the broth to make a rich, homemade mulligatawny, (i'll have to Google that as I don't know what it is haha) put it in serving containers and freeze. This way i'm prepared for next time (or a night when I don't feel like cooking lol)

I'm also LCHF, and make/drink a lot of bone broth. The collagen/gelatin broth is nourishing, and regular consumption helps with hair, skin and nails

Good luck OP and I hope you feel better soon

edit: I just Googled it, omg it looks good.....I have 2 quarts of bone broth defrosting now, i'm making this on Saturday
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks all
    I'm not doing keyo FYI
    Just a low carb diet as they go. Kinda doing my own thing x
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure?
  • bexilashious
    Options
    No
    All normal
    X
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Don't need to worry about sodium unless you have blood pressure/health issues.
  • bexilashious
    Options
    I know
    It's just that when I eat a lot of sodium I retain a lot of water and it makes me feel sluggish
    X
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Tinned soup doesn't contain THAT much sodium. I don't think you'll start feeling sluggish from eating tinned soup.
  • Gracious_Plum
    Gracious_Plum Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been eating these soups recently, not sure on the sodium but they are really nice and filling - especially the green one. http://iamsuperfood.com/