Reactive Hypoglycemia Diet?

Options
OneTwentyThree
OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
edited October 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Please share what works for you if you have RH. Please don't offer general suggestions like "low carb", if you can please share how many carbs, protein, calories, etc works for you. How many meals a day? Or any other info. I've tried so many things and nothing seems to work. I get symptoms if I don't eat enough or don't eat on time or sometimes I get symptoms immediately after eating. I am willing to try anything at this point, would really appreciate any input.

Replies

• lucymagie
    lucymagie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried multiple meals a day e.g. breakfast, a mid-morning snack, Lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner and a after dinner snack??

https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthy-eating/menu-reactive-hypoglycemia

This website has two meal plans which may help

- - - - -
    Also found this online which may help:

Choose foods that are high in soluble fibre and starchy foods that have a low glycemic index at each meal.

These types of foods can help keep blood glucose levels stable.

Foods high in soluble fibre include:

oatmeal, oat bran and barley
    dried peas, beans and lentils
    vegetables and fruits with their skin.
    Aim for 5-10 grams of soluble fibre per day.

Starchy foods low in glycemic index include:

oats, converted/parboiled rice, barley and bulgur
    breads made from stone ground flour and heavy mixed grain such as pumpernickel bread
    dried beans, peas and lentils.
    Most vegetables, fruits and low-fat milk products have a moderate or low glycemic index and can be included at each meal.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I wasn't expecting a ketogenic diet to fix my reactive hypoglycemia, but it did. When the body is no longer reliant on carbs you no longer get the shakes, light headedness, brain fog of fainting. I used to be shaking every two hours and most of the evening. I was beginning to wonder about health problems that would cause shaking. It was pretty bad. I passed out every year or two but I experienced tunnel vision at least a few times per day.

I eat roughly 5% of my diet from carbs. Sometimes 10%. On most days that means I eat usually under 30g of carbs, with a diet between 1500 and 2000 kcal, depending on if I am trying to lose or not. When losing, my carbs were usually under 20g.

Protein is around 20% or 70-80g, and fat is around 75% or 120g.

Calories do not affect my RH anymore. I can fast for the entire day or eat 2500kcal and notice no symptoms at all because my blood glucose is not going up or down. On most days I'll have nothing for breakfast beyond coffee with a teaspoon of coconut oil, and maybe some protein powder. Lunch is often leftovers, or veggies with a cheese dip, or even a bowl of nuts. My dinners usually consist of a meat (roast pork, beef, fish) and a veggie or two, usually with butter, salad dressing or cheese on it.

Yesterday I was out a lot so my foods were easy: coffees (with 3 tsp coconut cream, whipping cream, stevia, and a half scoop of protein powder), a handful of nuts and 2 pepperoni sticks, and salad with "tacos" (ground beef, a bit of refined beans, sourcream, cheese, avocado, and peppers).

If interested, Keto Clarity is good book to start with. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate eating is a great book. Peter Attia's blogs are a wealth of information. Jason Fung, his blog and book, Obesity Code, are also helpful. Wahl's Protocol is along the same lines but more plant focused and used to reduce inflammation. Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is all about steadying your blood glucose and insulin. It is aimed at diabetics but current thinking has it that those with RH have some insulin resistance so it works well for us.

Good luck.
  • benlourie
    benlourie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a bit general, but this is my personal experience & work-around, for what it's worth...

2 or 3 years ago, I started noticing that once every few weeks I'd go hypo, then it gradually became more frequent, in fact almost weekly & usually on a Saturday around mid morning- often when out biking or sometimes mid gym session. Of course it didn't take me long to realise that Saturday was the day I gave myself a break from the usual breakfast consisting of porrige, a banana & coffee, instead opting for juice,toast & marmalade! In other words almost pure carbs! So, now my Saturday breakfast is juice,toast, a protein shake & olive oil. It seems just the inclusion of some protein & fat (in other words, having a more balanced meal) really did the trick, in fact, I've not had another hypo event since.......

Hope this helps
  • lenadstro
    lenadstro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have experienced complete relief of symptoms of low blood sugars. I feel stabilized, cravings decreased, and no more afternoon slumps since starting keto!
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with this for years and noticed that healthy fats and whole grains i.e. Sprouted grain breads, brown rice, quinoa etc are key. I make sure I always have a healthy fat for breakfast and 3 servings a day. 1tbsp of almond butter sticks with me a lot longer than an egg. Usually I can handle 2 servings of whole grains a day without a blood sugar spike but I must be on target with the rest. And of course lots of veggies and some fruit. If I get my fats, I don't really need protein at all. Healthy fats...nut butters, avocado, coconut Milk and oil, Evoo, sesame oil. Real grass fed butter is good too but I've developed a lactose intolerance so I eat it rarely.