Recovering from knee surgery...workout suggestions?

Options
I had ACL repair surgery on Sept 13. I was steadily losing weight and still am but it's a bit frustrating not being able to workout since the surgery. I'm finally back on my feet and working on regaining the muscle back in my leg but aside from physical therapy I spend a lot of time sitting around my house all day. Being on my feet too long causes a lot of pain in my knee. Any suggestions for 10-15 min workouts that aren't too strenuous on the knees?

Replies

• chantal626
    chantal626 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I realized I posted this in the wrong thread but can't figure out how to delete it lol
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I use this, which has very little impact on my knees or lower back which have both had surgery:

bowflex-max-trainer-m5-2.png?sw=700&sh=700&sm=fit

Fair warning, they are not cheap, but Bowflex will generally give you no interest payment options. Once I had used it for about six to eight months I was able to walk more and now even run from time to time. I still go back to it on cold days for a good cardio workout.
  • chantal626
    chantal626 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use this, which has very little impact on my knees or lower back which have both had surgery:

bowflex-max-trainer-m5-2.png?sw=700&sh=700&sm=fit

Fair warning, they are not cheap, but Bowflex will generally give you no interest payment options. Once I had used it for about six to eight months I was able to walk more and now even run from time to time. I still go back to it on cold days for a good cardio workout.

Thanks! I'm definitely looking for a cheaper option since I'm currently on a medical leave of absence from work, but I appreciate the suggestion :)
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Is a gym an option? Ellipticals should be low impact on the knees, that thing is a cross between a stair stepper and an elliptical.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    As someone with chronically bad knees from years of being overweight and several injuries from sports I can tell you that your knees need love! Try side bends, ab crunches, partial squats, and anything that doesn't increase direct pressure on your knees. The above poster gave a good device to use, but that is so expensive. Check on Craigslist or your local Facebook Garage Sale site and see if you can find a good used elliptical machine. Low impact on your knees, but you can get a very good workout in.
  • Spliner1969
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    As someone with chronically bad knees from years of being overweight and several injuries from sports I can tell you that your knees need love! Try side bends, ab crunches, partial squats, and anything that doesn't increase direct pressure on your knees. The above poster gave a good device to use, but that is so expensive. Check on Craigslist or your local Facebook Garage Sale site and see if you can find a good used elliptical machine. Low impact on your knees, but you can get a very good workout in.

Good advice. Even if you don't buy equipment what he suggested can help. I generally use my machine or walk first thing in the morning, but the second half of my workout is designed around not impacting my back or knees. I do my own version of circuit training or cross training starting with inverted rows on a pull up bar I purchased for $20 at Wal-Mart, then incline push ups in my kitchen counters, then I do crunches both normal and side crunches, then I move into planks, go back to crunches (I do 4 sets of 25), then I do regular push ups, go back and do chin ups, rinse and repeat for at least 60 minutes. It's a good workout and I give myself little or no rest between exercises to keep my heart rate higher. Over that 60 minutes I can burn between 350-500 calories depending on how hard I work at it and it doesn't affect my knees in the slightest. So there's a thought. 90% of it is done with body weight. I do have some free weights I'll incorporate at times, but it isn't essential to my routine.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    What does your physical therapist suggest? How about swimming or biking?
  • ronicamckinnon
    ronicamckinnon Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have had ACL ssurgery...not fun! I hope your recovery is going well! My physiotherapist had me on an exercise bike as much as possible and I would go for long bike rides once the initial recovery was over. I also had access to a pool in the apartment I was living at the time which was great so if you can get to a pool that is a terrific workout. I'd suggest more kicking strokes rather than anything that requires twisting (I.e. front crawl would be better than breast stroke). Good luck!
  • corazombie
    corazombie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • safully1
    safully1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tore my ACL playing football several years back. I started with swimming, then stationary bike and onto elliptical. Was almost a year before I could run again. I also did light weight (body weight or low weight) squats and lunges. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Would echo suggestions on swimming, stationary bike, and your PT advice, there may be some yoga, not sure
  • jenkofb
    jenkofb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and both my knees are in bad shape. Here's what I do for legs that basically puts no pressure on my knees (or very little):

Bodyweight exercises:
    Sitting leg raises - works Quadriceps- sit on your butt with legs straight out in front. lift each leg off floor. High reps (25+) and as many sets as you can stand.

Leg circles - works IT band/glutes - lay on side. do circles in the air with leg - 25+ in both directions - as many sets as you can stand

Bridges - glutes/hamstrings - lay on back. lift hips off floor with knees. hold and squeeze for 5-7 secs. 25+ reps. as many sets as you can stand.

Leg raises - 50+ then lift leg on the floor for inner thigh 50+

Exercises with Bands:

Clam - glutes/IT band - lay on side and put band between knees. stretch band 25+

Hamstring curls - hamstrings - lay on belly. position band so one foot holds on while the other foot lifts 25+

Side walks - IT band/glutes - put band between both feet and walk sideways one step at a time

Gym Equipment:

Romanian deadlifts

Overhead leg press with no additional weight and high reps. Feet close together for quads.

Seated leg curl machine

Hip abduction and adduction machine

Hope this helps! :smile:

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What you need to specifically do is talk to your physical therapist or orthopedic surgeon to prescribe you an exercise program. In all due respect please don't ask for advice from people who have no idea what your medical condition is.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I had ACL replacement surgery. I biked, biked, biked! Good strengthening. No pounding.
    good luck.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Had microfracture surgery earlier this year (which made things worse) and am having another surgery (lateral release) in January to hopefully correct things so I'm in a similar boat. jenkofb suggested a bunch of good exercises above. I've found straight leg deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, partial leg press and hip thrust have been the best for lower body. I have limited range of motion, but can do all these without putting a great deal of pressure on the knees.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    What you need to specifically do is talk to your physical therapist or orthopedic surgeon to prescribe you an exercise program. In all due respect please don't ask for advice from people who have no idea what your medical condition is.

I would agree at first, it's best to talk to your doctor. Of course, after back surgery and knee surgery my doctors told me I'd never be able to bend over again, do squats, run, ride a bicycle, ride a motorcycle, etc. etc.. I can do all those things now. I will admit it took a long time to build up the muscle strength to support the weak areas but it gets easier every day.