An unrealistic goal? Kind of a vent, needing support..

Options
I started MFP last week at 219lbs and I'm currently down to 216.4lbs. My ultimate goal weight is to be between 120-135lbs by Oct. 31, 2012 (as you can see on my signature lol) ...ANYWAYS, I told my husband this and his initial reaction was, "That's a little unreaslitic, don't you think?" ..Wow, did that hurt. All I needed was a thumbs up, a little support. It's a GOAL.
Between May 2009 and July 2010 I lost 65lbs ..I would have lost more if I had been strict with myself and exercised more often. There were about 4 months (not consecutive) where I ate whatever and didn't work out at all. So I do have faith in myself that I CAN do this ..

Replies

• faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    You Can do it!!, that's over a year away. The only unrealistic goal is the one never set! Good luck.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you put your mind to! It is doable you just have to do it one step at a time :flowerforyou:
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Your husband is crazy. you will be losing on average about 5-6lbs per month and that is not unrealistic at all. You can do it! just stick with it.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I really truly have no clue if that's realistic for your body...however, I will say your last 20 pounds are brutally slow moving (typically). That's the only thing I really have to add.

I hope someone that has accomplished a similar goal will respond.
  • HankFit247
    HankFit247 Posts: 139
    Options
    Yeah, that was a little harsh. You could get mad, try to figure out his motivation, or spend your energy wisely ON YOUR GOAL!

As a Personal Trainer, I like my clients to keep their ultimate goal in mind, but we focus on the little ones. 5 #'s, 20/25# mile markers...
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Break the goal up into smaller pieces. Show him (and yourself) how achievable it is to get to each milestone within that 15 months of weight loss you have planned.
  • GingerIJones
    GingerIJones Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone else rob you of your dreams. Sometimes people just don't know or have never been taught possibility thinking. I believe if you dream it? It can happen. Often times it takes hard work, blah, blah, blah... BUT all things are possible pretty much especially if you hitch your wagon to the star of your choice. Go for it girl. Good luck to you.
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    See that is the problem with men. They don't think before they speak.

Good for you for setting your goal. I don't think it unrealistic at all. I think it's very very achievable. YOU can do it. Forget your husband, and make sure you show off your great new body when the pounds start coming off.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    That is definitely possible. At first I though it was October of this year lol.
  • littlestarchild
    Options
    The accepted max healthy weight loss is about 2lbs per week. If you can do this even some of the time, you will get there no problem!
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you lose 2 pounds a week for 52 weeks that is 104 pounds in a year. and if you lose 1.5 a week for 66 weeks that would be 99 pounds and that is about you are giving yourself to lose it in. It is doable.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible.. that is somewhere between 84 and 99 pounds in 15 months.... I have personally lost 86 pounds in just over 6 months.... So just prove him wrong :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    he doesnt realize it is just that easy to get to your goal. One year gives you plenty of time, I am seeing people that started when i did and have already lost 40 or more lbs in 2 months!
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! Maybe he is like my husband and doesn't want you to get on yourself if you dont make it. I told my husband my goal and his first reaction was "really, do you think you can do that?" but I've always been a fan of the "shoot for the stars and even if you fail you'll land on the moon" saying.

Your goal is totally doable! Just stick to it and he will be extra proud of you when he sees you succeed. GOOD LUCK!
  • MrsUski10
    MrsUski10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That is definitely possible. At first I though it was October of this year lol.
    haha, I'd have to chop off limbs to achieve that one.

THANK YOU everyone for the positive responses!!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    If you set your mind to it you can do it. I started last july 17 almost a yr ago and have lost 73lbs. So it is possible. Good luck on your journey. I break mine into 10 lb increments and just concentrate on the next 10 lbs because looking at 100lbs seemed overwhelming but with only 27lbs to go it no longer seems overwhelming. I will get there and so will you
  • LCardo24
    LCardo24 Posts: 56
    Options
    That is not an unrealistic goal! You can change you're lifestyle in the course of a year, and hit the goals you have for yourself. We're all here to support you. Best of luck to you, and way to set some solid goals.
  • joyw37
    joyw37 Posts: 38
    Options
    Yes we can!! Just reading the other posts and seeing their success is giving me hope that it IS possible!!!

I've given up expecting the type of support I need from my fiance. He says what he thinks he's supposed to, like "i love you and think you're beautiful just the way you are" and he tries to help me but sometimes he just doesn't get it. The other day we were eating at his parents house. They had chinese take-out and I was trying to make the best choices as possible without seeming rude by saying "no thanks" so I just really watched portions. Knowing I was trying to eliminate sugar, IN FRONT OF EVERYONE at the table, he says " that has sugar you know". Wow, thanks for the guilt trip a**hole lol. Long story short, when i need encouragement, I come here now. Our men mean well and really do want us to succeed, but sometimes aren't very good at expressing it lol.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    A year and 3 months to lose 80 - 95 pounds? Totally doable! That's only 5 - 6 pounds a month, not bad at all. I've got about 85 pounds I want to lose too, and I fully expect to be at my goal weight by October of next year. Tell your hubby to get on the bandwagon and get ready for a smaller wife. :smile:

Good luck!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Turn his negativity into pure motivational fuel!

Also, I recommend you set short term goals within your long term goal. These milestones (say every 3 months) will help you along the 15 month total journey.