BLEH!

Options
64oz of water...UGH! ahaha Im having trouble drinking that much every day! I get to about 5-6 and decide NO MORE!! Is it really THAT important!?!?!!?!?

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yup
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I think 5-6 is just fine but if you are working out you definitely need more.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Simple answer.

YES

Your body is comprised of SO MUCH water. It helps clean out fat an toxins. Your brain is even all watery :P

Heres some info

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_water.php

Why Drinking Water Is Important for Weight Loss

Diet and Weight Loss Tutorial

There are many reasons why it is important to drink water, especially if you are dieting:
    •Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
    •The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
    •Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
    •Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
    •Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
    •A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
    •Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.

How Much Water Should I Drink?

You have probably heard that you should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. How much water you actually need depends on your weight, level of activity, the temperature and humidity of your environment, and your diet. Your diet makes a difference because if you eat plenty of water-dense foods like fruits and vegetables your need to drink water will be diminished.

You can do some research and use a calculator and measuring cup if you like, but nature's pretty good at letting you know the right amount to drink. When you drink enough water, your urine will usually be pale yellow, though vitamin supplements and antibiotics can discolor it. On the other hand, you shouldn't need to run to the bathroom too frequently. When in doubt, drink a little more.

Do not worry that drinking water will give your body a bloated look. There are a number of causes of water retention, including consuming too much salt. But drinking water is not one of them.

It is possible to harm yourself by drinking too much water, but it takes quite an effort. Either through obsessive-compulsive behavior or extended athletic activity, drinking large amounts of water can dilute the electrolytes (sodium and potassium) in your blood to the point that it interferes with brain, heart and muscle function. Athletes compound the problem with the loss of sodium (salt) through sweating, but can drink electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade Endurance Formula to help keep things in balance.

Tips on Drinking Water
    •Drinking other liquids also provides your body with a source of water, but note that diuretics cause your body to expel water. Diuretics include caffeinated drinks (coffee, tea and soda) and alcohol. When drinking diuretics, drink more water to compensate.

When drinking alcohol, drinking water along with it as well as before and afterward may eliminate a hangover headache and feeling of tiredness. The water is optional; driving is not.
    •When you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Try to avoid this situation by drinking in advance. Be especially careful when participating in activities where you won't be able to stop to get caught up.
    •You've heard countless advertisements telling you what product to start your day with. We recommend a couple of glasses of water to rehydrate your body. No charge.
  • ZumbaQueenKelly
    Options
    Try adding lemon or Crystal Light to it :)
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just try to increase it a little at a time. I do think it's important. Believe it or not, drinking enough water helps keep you from retaining water - it regulates your salt. It flushes out a lot of what you don't want in your system. I've even read where it's better to take your weight (in pounds) divide it in 2 ant that's how many ounces you should be drinking. So, for those who are under 160, drink at least 8 - 8oz glasses, everyone else should even be drinking more! I just keep a 20z bottle at my desk and refill it every couple of hours. It gets to be old habit after a while.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    64oz of water...UGH! ahaha Im having trouble drinking that much every day! I get to about 5-6 and decide NO MORE!! Is it really THAT important!?!?!!?!?

Yes, you will eventually start to retain water because you are not flushing sodium out of your system and also it is a total waste of your workout when you don't drink. So if you are serious about losing pounds, you need to drink up. Try flavoring your water with lemon to see if that helps you drink more of it. Set mini-goals throughout the day also.
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    if your having trouble drinkin plain water... try some crystal light or milk etc.... its important to stay hydrated and flush out your system...
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I hated drinking water, but now that is all I drink (just about). I found myself grabbing a bottle first thing in the morning and keeping it at my desk all day long. I feel so much better now that I am hydrated. Never realized before how much I really needed it.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Try adding lemon or Crystal Light to it :)

I hate crystal light! Try mio liquid enhancher it is zero calories! Zero everything.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am. It is important for health and weight loss. When I first started, I hated drinking water too. Especially in the morning, cuz it made me nauseous for some reason. I started out using Crystal Lite (or the cheaper equivilent). They have lots of flavors and some with 0 calories. Now, I have no problem reaching my water goal and then some.
  • sn0wd0gg
    sn0wd0gg Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of discussion recently about the 8 glasses of water "requirement". A lot of experts say that number (8 glasses) didn't come from any particular scientific study or known requirement and some go so far as to say it's bunk. I think the best thing you can do is try to stay hydrated - drink what you can and pay attention to what you're doing. Exercising and working in the yard on a hot day, running, sports, etc. all will demand more water in your body.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time at first too. But after a while you begin to crave it. I can't believe the difference in the look and feel of my skin, especially my face, since I've been hitting my water goal on a regular basis. I swear, water is the fountain of youth!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    use a straw! it makes it easier to drink the water! and it doesnt tast as blah...may be mental but it works for me!
  • rachel_onamission
    Options
    Alrighty! Thank you guys! :) I will try alot harder!