An unrealistic goal? Kind of a vent, needing support..

Options

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your husband didnt mean to hurt your feelings. YOu know you can do this, and we know too! :smile:
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    That's a totally realistic goal! Maybe he was trying to be supportive in his own way, hoping to tell you that you don't *need* to lose all that much weight? Or that he doesn't want you to be disappointed or something? I don't know, hubbies can be so silly about this stuff.

You, my dear, can do anything you set your mind to! Go show him you've got what it takes!
  • doriekaye
    doriekaye Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think that is a very realistic goal. Keep at it and you will do it!!
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I always like to set myself up with a high goal too so that I have something to work extra hard for....you can do whatever you set your mind too and dont let anyone tell you otherwise :) You can add me as a friend for support too
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I set a goal for myself of 5 lbs a month. That would be about 75 lbs in the 15 months you have left. If you increased that to 6 lbs a month, it would be 90 lbs. If you stay on track and honest in your logging and exercising, you can totally do that! (although plateaus may happen, so don't let that sidetrack you. In one now, and it can be frustrating, :grumble: but you have to stick with it. )

Good luck to you! I would recommend the following response to your husband. "Watch Me!":bigsmile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! Lots of time, lots and lots of time! I know what it is when people tell you you can't do it. It hurts, it sucks, and it's a horrible thing people do to others. Don't listen to the naysayers! This is about YOU and not what anyone else says. Not your husband, not anybody. IT'S ALL YOU! You can do it!

To keep yourself motivated, focus on small goals and set yourself up with small rewards! Shopping trips, pedicures, new shoes, workout gear, new wardrobe... whatever floats your boat as a reward. Don't forget a big reward when you hit your ultimate goal (For me it was Hawaii in December)

Good Luck! You got this!
  • tererob
    tererob Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think it is a very realistic goal... I just started a couple weeks ago and my ultimate goal is 140 by July 2012. I have about 75 pounds to lose. Congratulations on getting started and keep up the great work. Don't let anyone discourage you. You can do it!
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone tell you that your goals aren't realistic the only person you need to believe in you is you. As long as your goals are appropriate for your height then anything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and follow through. If you need support there are enough of us on MFP who are willing to motivate you and support you because we have all been there or close to there...
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this will help you, but your weight loss will slow down towards the end therefore dont feel too disheartened if you dont reach your goal.
    My starting weight as of April 2011, was 159. I lost 4lbs in the first week or so which I now realise was probably just water retention. Since then (around 3 months ago) I have lost about 9lbs, which is less than 1lb a week.

I am being quite strict but still allow myself the odd treat once a week or so if I want it. I work out 5 times a week for about 60minutes, doing a mix of cardio and strength training, so I still think I am doing enough to lose weight, its just not happening as fast as I expected it to.

It can be very frustrating to see the scales moving at such a slow pace, but you have to think about it in the long term :)
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Definitely achievable, and it doesn't sound like your husband was trying to be unsupportive or hurtful. He may not have said what you needed to hear, but he absolutely could have meant what he said in a loving way. A lot of people do set really huge goals and end up discouraged, and it could be that he just wanted to make sure that didn't happen for you... and if he hasn't been reading about weight loss, then he might not know what a realistic expectation even is. Unless he said it differently than I'm reading it, I don't think "jerk" right away. :smile:
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I believe in you. Show him who's boss.
  • bloodlesscoup
    bloodlesscoup Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it. I think something that might help is making sure you have little interval goals as well so you're not constantly focused on one monolithic finish line.
  • bloodlesscoup
    bloodlesscoup Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Edit: Just saw your signature, and you do, so good for you!
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! Sometimes those who love us say the harshest things. By breaking up your long term goal, you will stay on track and be successful.

Best of luck and hang in there!
  • arlingtonangel
    arlingtonangel Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Girl you can do it! Stay on track and show him how realistic your goal is :)
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I misread that at first and didnt see that it was a goal to weigh that NEXT year lol! I was about to say don't go cutting limbs off to obtain it just to spite him!
    I dont know why men have to be cruel sometimes. I had a hard day of tempting foods and my husband was awful to me and told me just cause I want to hear supportive things doesnt mean he is going to say them wth?!

anyways that is an amazingly obtainable goal! keep at it and spite him!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    You can totally do that!!! GOOD LUCK!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't think it's unrealistic at all. I would suggest though looking into a program like p90x, chalean extreme, insanity or turbo fire to aid that. As someone said, break up your goal into weekly, monthly, quarterly goals as it will help with your motivation. Also, write them down and put them somewhere you will see them. And best of luck!
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think that's a perfectly fine goal to have, as long as the possibility down the line of not making it wouldn't cause you to ditch the plan altogether.

It took me years to add the weight, it's okay if it takes me years to get rid of it. As long as the scale and/or my fitness level is heading in the right direction, I'm happy. I lost 15 pounds last year, decided to maintain for a while, and now I'm back to it. Even if I only get half way there this round, I'm okay with it. It's still a success.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    That is totally realistic......I thought you wanted to lose that weight by this oct and I was like WHOA.....totally not doable or at least not in a healthy fashion but then I reread and noticed the date!

I ate according to MFP recommendations and exercized and I lost 10lbs a month for 10 months straight. I had a plenty of cheat days and and never deprived myself anything.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!