Thyroid medication and breakfast

Options
I take Thyroid medication when I get up every morning. I'm not supposed to eat for an hour after I take the medication. But, aren't you supposed to eat within 1 hour of waking up? During the week it's not a problem. I have an hour commute to work so I take my med. before I leave the house and eat when I get to work. It's the weekends I have the problem with because I don't get up at the same time and sometimes when I get up I'm starving and it's really hard to wait that hour. Any suggestions?

Replies

• yeahbuddy
    yeahbuddy Posts: 409
    Options
    I take Thyroid medication when I get up every morning. I'm not supposed to eat for an hour after I take the medication. But, aren't you supposed to eat within 1 hour of waking up? During the week it's not a problem. I have an hour commute to work so I take my med. before I leave the house and eat when I get to work. It's the weekends I have the problem with because I don't get up at the same time and sometimes when I get up I'm starving and it's really hard to wait that hour. Any suggestions?
  • purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Does your thyroid medication need to be taken when you get up? If not maybe you can change it to 2-3 hours after breakfast (then wait the additional hour before a snack or lunch). (I know some antibiotics that shouldn't be taken with food give this type of instruction--2-3 hours after eating and 1 hour before eating)
  • meganlorraine
    Options
    I am in the same boat!!!! Things I do to help me out.... I take my meds the same time every day whether or not I have to be up for work. Of course this means climbing out of bed on the weekends, but it's always nice to beable to climb back in and go back to sleep. Also, I don't know if this is completely accurate but, My doctor has told me a half hour is long enough to wait.

If all else fails, hey, at least you're taking it, right??? So if you're starving eat. The waiting thing is just so the meds have time to absorb, right? So since it's such a long term thing (i.e. what you do today will possibly affect you about 3 months down the line) eating right away some times won't hurt you.

:) Good luck!!!
  • yeahbuddy
    yeahbuddy Posts: 409
    Options
    purplapanda, I can take it 3 hours after I eat, which would mean I'd have to wait another hour (for a total of 4) before I could eat again. I'm not sure I could do that but if it's only on the weekends, I could give it a shot.

megan, once I'm up, I'm up (sucks for me, right?) so getting up to take it would just make me cranky all day. I guess if I'm hungry enough, I'll just eat.

Thanks, both of you, for your advice.