How do you balance college and your weightloss journey?

Options
Hi Friends,

I guess I am posting this because I'm notorious for getting really pumped up about losing weight, and being healthy, and it will last for about a month...then I get overwhelmed with reality (college).

So, a little background.
I have lost 40lbs before, gained it back, trying to lose it again.
I have lost about 15lbs so far.
I really enjoy running, and that seems to be a good outlet for the stress of school sometimes.
I do love to eat healthy, and clean. I really enjoy cooking new meals but sometimes that is just too much for someone always on the go like me. Meal prepping does sound like a good idea and I have tried it but I guess I lose motivation after about three weeks.

I'm a BSN major so I am getting my Bachelors of Science and Nursing. The classes (in my opinion) aren't easy, and it's easy to get overwhelmed. Then add on trying to go down a whole journey of fitness and health. . . My point is it can be a lot for someone.

My questions for you all, whoever wants to be generous enough to share their stories or tips, is how do you manage to balance school, and a weightloss journey?

I have gone down a weighloss journey before, but it was the only thing I was focusing on in life at the time. It was literally the center of my world. I lost 40lbs, I gained a lot of muscle and I would say I was the fittest I have ever been. It took a lot out of my day. As I was working out almost daily doing SOMETHING, counting every little calorie, and really focusing on how to be the best I could be.

Now that I am in college, and have been for a while, I just can't seem to bring my full focus to weightloss and fitness when I am concerned about a test coming up, or needing to study for this or that. School is my main concern. I want to balance my weighloss journey with school so that they are equal, because both are equally important to me.

Sorry for rambling, I would love to hear some tips on your workouts, meal ideas, how you manage/managed school and losing weight, etc.

Replies

• nickattel
    nickattel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position and I've packed on new weight and lost a lot of the muscle I gained in high school. Within the last couple of months I've finally gotten back to a consistent workout routine, as well as working on my diet. Personally, it made a world of difference as soon as I got into the routine of going to sleep at a decent time and waking up early. That alone shot up my energy and motivation to get back to it. I know for me, it was a struggle to go to sleep at a decent time and consistently while in college but changing that set me back on the right path. Hopefully that helps! Personally, I never realized how much a consistent routine can re-energize you and set your mind straight.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I am doing a biology degree, working, doing volunteering and other stuff on top of it. I still get the exercise done. Time management is key. Do at-home workout programs. Try for the shorter ones that can be completed in like 30 mins a day.
  • leenzkhan
    leenzkhan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hii. I am struggling with something similar. There are not a lot of healthy food items to choose from on campus in a limited budget. I usually overeat because of stress and there is something to stress about constantly whether it is studies, people and so on. Really struggling not to resort to food in these situations.
  • VeryGoodBadThing
    VeryGoodBadThing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same here! Just started my masters. Started gaining weight in my undergrad. My freshman fifteen was more like sixty. Just got diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few months ago and this is probably my fourth "fresh start" but it's my first on thyroid medication so I'm feeling much more optimistic. I'm going to try to take advantage of the free fitness classes on campus so maybe that's something you can try too :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you living on campus or are you living at home/on your own?

If you can cook for yourself, you can plan out lower calorie meals so that your diet stays on track while you are busy in your classes. Batch cook on the weekends so that you have stuff to take with you to school.

As for the exercise part, you said you like to run. If you have breaks in between your classes (like an hour or so), try fitting in a run. If you don't, try to do it after school or before.

I get that college can be hard because you get so busy and it's hard keeping up with the work load, but it can be done.
  • kms375
    kms375 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time managing all my school work and raising my 3 kids and everything else in my life. I got to overwhelmed and gave up on my diet. When I started again I decided to just work on counting calories and not exercising. I just couldn't handle everything at the moment. And then once I got back into the swing of things I very slowly adding a little bit of exercise and I just keep increasing the amount
  • 2bPhat
    2bPhat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel you totally. I am working a B.S. in business and working full-time. I just started back to working out and I'm just going to keep it simple by counting calories. I try not to worry as much about what I eat, but how much I eat. Everything I put in my mouth, I put on fitness pal. Then I work out 5 days a week for 30 min only. Most cardio, and two days of those 5, I do strength training. I ditched the scale too. I suggest set a calorie goal, and as much fitness in you can. 30 min. Is all I can do for right now.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Having a routine!

I'm going for my bachelor's in speech and language pathology and I have 2 kids as well. Working out has helped me so much with my anxiety. I am very prone to getting overwhelmed and since ensuring I get my workout helps so much. I also schedule specific times to study. Take constructive breaks. I will study for an hour, do my run, study for an hour, then do a chore around the house. I try to limit my lazy lounging to sundays. Lol I have been sick the past week and it's been so frustrating! You can do this though, add me if you'd like. I've lost almost 40 lbs and I've got probably at least 50 to go.
  • Sierra_Christine97
    Sierra_Christine97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for tips and advice! It really helps and I appreciate the motivation.

Add me if you would like :)

Hope to see you all on my newsfeed! I'd love to have people who are going through or have gone through my situation.

Thanks again! Much love!