Help! Difficulty losing weight after using Birth Control!

Options
I started birth control in June 2015. I have always been between at the time the most I had ever weighed was 120 pounds, before I started BC I was in between 98 and 110 pounds which is normal for my height of 4'11. Around August 2015 my appetite and metabolism did a complete 180 on me and I gained 20 lbs within a month. I kept gaining and then I stopped taking my BC at the end of October 2015. I thought that once I stopped my metabolism and appetite would go back to normal, however, I was wrong. I kept on gaining and gaining and soon enough I was almost 160 and I'm now currently 155. How do you fix my metabolism and apetite...I want to be healthy again, not clinically overweight. Any help is appreciated'

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Your metabolism isn't broken. You just ate/eat too much food. If you have removed the initial problem that made you eat more or move less, in this case the BC, all you need to to is calculate how much you want to lose with MFP and eat the calorie amount it gives you for a while. The metabolism doesn't experience extreme changes unless you're in an extreme situation. Your metabolism is fine, your intake and output have changed.

ETA: I don't mean for that to sound accusatory or defeatist o like I'm saying "it's all your fault". It is a result of behaviors you have unknowingly enacted, but it's not a matter of "fault". I say this not to accuse or blame you, but to give you the happy news that it is something completely within your control so you can fix it, and that's happy news when there are so many unpleasant things in our lives that we do not control and thus cannot fix. It's a personal thing: I find nothing more defeatist or horribly irritating than people reassuring me "It's not your fault!" as though that was going to make me feel better. If it's my "fault" then I have the power to fix it. I only want problems I can fix, so I hope you see in spite of my poor delivery, that I'm trying to give you a positive message:)
  • BridgetHarrington
    BridgetHarrington Posts: 41 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Depending on what you were taking, it might take a year or even two for things to go back to normal. Any artificial BC upsets our bodies' natural systems, and because we are female and our body fat percentage is higher than men's (so things are stored), all the hormones and chemicals have to work their way out of your system.

I had a Paragard IUD and had it for 10 years. During that time, I gained about 35 pounds. Some of that was through bad food choices, but I don't believe for a second that the IUD had nothing to do with it. I was thin my entire life and even had a hard time gaining weight when pregnant. I went up two jeans sizes within 3 months of getting the IUD but didn't make the connection. I blamed it on age-related weight gain. Doctors will tell you a Paragard is non-hormonal....but it messes with your body in a way that changes its relationship to estrogen. And that is why a lot of women with IUDs gain weight. BC pills and shots do the same. Since I got mine out, I've lost 25 pounds. In less than 3 months. Again, some of it has to do with making better food choices. I'm 48 and now going through menopause. But it's uncanny that I tried and tried to lose weight with the IUD and couldn't, and now it's falling right off.

You might want to check into a holistic physician in your area. A standard MD is not going to help you, because most will not acknowledge that BC causes weight gain. A holistic physician will and will be able to help you. This is a physician in my area -- will give you an idea of what to look for. And yes, most do take insurance. You could even have a thyroid problem that the BC kicked off. I am on two Facebook private groups for IUD-related health issues, and this is not unheard of with any BC method.

http://www.naturalhealthct.com/
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    For many of us the contraceptive pill dis-regulates our hormones causing all manor of problems, this is recognised by the medical profession but not spoken about openly. Weight gain is never accepted as a reaction to BC. The ignorant tell us we are over eating. Those of us who suffer these problems are more sensitive to the disruption than others. The pill is seen as the only answer to irregular/probably heavy periods but it conceals the real reason for the problem which if addressed properly, probably by private practice makes life so much more comfortable. I have read when all works properly periods are regular 28 days, are light but most of all pain free. Our female physiology is different to that of the male our bodies have more demands made on it by our reproductive cycles which functioning is still not properly understood.

I agree with Bridget above, Start with the natural health site and do as much research as you can. Use reputable sites but there is a great amount of information out there if you look. Hope everything comes right soon.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    For many of us the contraceptive pill dis-regulates our hormones causing all manor of problems, this is recognised by the medical profession but not spoken about openly. Weight gain is never accepted as a reaction to BC. The ignorant tell us we are over eating. Those of us who suffer these problems are more sensitive to the disruption than others. The pill is seen as the only answer to irregular/probably heavy periods but it conceals the real reason for the problem which if addressed properly, probably by private practice makes life so much more comfortable. I have read when all works properly periods are regular 28 days, are light but most of all pain free. Our female physiology is different to that of the male our bodies have more demands made on it by our reproductive cycles which functioning is still not properly understood.

I agree with Bridget above, Start with the natural health site and do as much research as you can. Use reputable sites but there is a great amount of information out there if you look. Hope everything comes right soon.

Did no one read her whole post? She stopped taking the BC in October 2015. It's been a year folks. And while her hormones may not be the same as they were before BC, they are not so violently disturbed at this point that she cannot lose weight merely by eating fewer calories and burning more.

I AM of the opinion that hormonal birth control affects weight. I think it makes people hungrier. I think it makes people retain water. I think it can make people want to move less subconsciously. I think it can even make people's CO different. It does not ruin your ability to burn calories for two years after you stop taking it. It does not magically extremely alter the metabolism for two years after you stop taking it. Sometimes it helps people lose weight too, so lets not demonize it altogether and discourage this new member who CAN achieve her goals with simple eating-behavior changes.

Agreed - for my part, I did gain when I went on birth control the first time, but I was already logging at this point and I noticed it was just because I ate more. I felt hungrier so I ate a lot more than I should have been eating and then I had been eating before (and really, I just didn't care at the time that I was doing it). Then when I went off birth control, even though my doctor said that it would only linger in my system for 1-2 months, I continued to eat just like I had when I was on it well past the 1-2 month mark. I had no excuse to anymore, I wasn't really even that hungry, it was just that was how much I was used to eating by then. Once I started really paying attention and actually trying to change my diet and stick to my calorie goal, the weight started slowing coming off, both when I wasn't on birth control and now that I'm back on it.

And really, I should have known better. My doctor did say at the time that it could make me feel more hungry and that I needed to be careful not to overeat because of that but I didn't really listen to her. I guess you live and you learn.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I have come on and off BC a few times now in the last 10 years. I won't lie, each time I came off I lost. BUT I also had very poor diet before and that was the reason I gained. And I came off it because I had a break up so stopped eating!

This time around I've come off it whilst maintaining and I've noticed a few things (been off it since Jan now) and the main thing I noticed is my hunger reflex. Actually, my "full" reflex. I never used to have one! I would just eat and eat and eat untill I either felt sick or I had stomach ache. Since coming off the pill I do eat less because now when I'm starting to feel full, my body wants me to stop eating.

Also sex drive is waay up ;)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I did actually read the post. My experience obviously has been different to many of you, my body did not return to how it had been, after using the pill. Many of you seem to experience an increase in hunger, I did not. I was very conscious of what I was eating and my exercise levels, I was counting calories even then, because I gained weight and could not loose it. I find it insulting for strangers to consider they know better than I, what was going on in my body when I was holding myself to account. You can't be sure your body will revert to its previously established hormone levels or that no damage has been done, No two people are the same.

If, I knowing what I do now, were I in the position of needing contraception, I'd avoid pills, coils, and implants because I value the natural balance of my body because regaining it has been so difficult for me. If asked, I would not recommend anyone else did either. It has to be each to their own. I hope no one goes on to have the issues I have had.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

ARGriffy wrote: »
    Actually, my "full" reflex. I never used to have one! I would just eat and eat and eat untill I either felt sick or I had stomach ache)

Absolutely this! I had been on some sort of BC for my adult life and suddenly I realized never feeling "full" wasn't actually normal. Just yesterday I told my husband that for the first time in 8 years I felt full after dinner!

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
    Options
    Been on the pill for 18 years or so and never blamed it for anything. It makes life great for me. I also don't think I'm more hungry due to it. I do think thought that the pill can make some people hungrier. What I don't believe is that it makes people store more body fat. Think about it: if your body is storing food as fat it's not using it for giving you energy, for preserving your muscles, making sure your hair and finger nails grow, your organs are probably functioning properly. You cannot nourish yourself and use the same energy to store as fat. It's either this or the other.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Been on the pill for 18 years or so and never blamed it for anything. It makes life great for me. I also don't think I'm more hungry due to it. I do think thought that the pill can make some people hungrier. What I don't believe is that it makes people store more body fat.

Of course it makes your body store more fat. You're hungrier so you're eating more. Where do you think the extra calories go? :wink:

Now, everyone's experience of pregnancy is somewhat different and everyone's experience of birth control is somewhat different. Some people hardly gain any non-baby weight while pregnant - and I think that's largely hormonal (i.e. they don't get the severe extra hunger that others do). Some people gain large amounts of weight while pregnant - some of it fat, some of it water weight - and are hungry ALL THE TIME. After all, when you're pregnant, your body is "saving up" calories as body fat in order that you'll be able to breastfeed the baby. And some of us seem to have bodies that go a little too far in preparing for that.

I am one who gained quite a bit of weight on the Pill because it made me hungry on a level that could not just be ignored. I was actually calorie counting at the time and watched my intake go up due to the crazy crazy hunger. I was pregnant within a few months of stopping the Pill so never really experienced an "off the pill" drop. And I gained a lot of weight with each pregnancy. So my basic conclusion is that, for me, pregnancy hormones (whether "real" or "fake") cause insatiable hunger and make me gain weight.

The good news is that, after recovering from both pregnancies and not going back on the Pill again, I've had no problems losing weight "the normal way" by counting calories and consuming less than I burn. And if I can do it, you can too!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for several years and gained 80 lbs.. realized that for the last two shots each, I gained 7 lbs within 2 days after each one (I can't even imagine how much water i wss retaining because i was already using mfp lol)

Once I quit taking depo, it took a few months got my body to level out and then start consistently losing. Every body is different, but i would suggest just keep going, tracking calories, getting some exercise, and wait awhile...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    The implication here is that the only way to lose weight is to stop taking birth control.

I just want to say that I COULD blame the thirty lbs that crept on to me over the past few years on my implant, or I could just accept that I ate too much and drank too many empty calories whilst not being very active, which may or may not be due to the BC.

Whatever the reason, I HAVE lost most of that now, and am still losing, even having had a new implant fitted this year. So even though I am STILL on hormonal BC, losing weight is entirely possible.

I love my implant. Not having a monthly bleed? Marvellous. So even if it is responsible for my weight gain I'd rather keep it and work around that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I started birth control in June 2015. I have always been between at the time the most I had ever weighed was 120 pounds, before I started BC I was in between 98 and 110 pounds which is normal for my height of 4'11. Around August 2015 my appetite and metabolism did a complete 180 on me and I gained 20 lbs within a month. I kept gaining and then I stopped taking my BC at the end of October 2015. I thought that once I stopped my metabolism and appetite would go back to normal, however, I was wrong. I kept on gaining and gaining and soon enough I was almost 160 and I'm now currently 155. How do you fix my metabolism and apetite...I want to be healthy again, not clinically overweight. Any help is appreciated'

It's not your metabolism

It is your appetite

Your metabolism needs no fixing. Although your lifestyle might ...get more active generally, walk places and take part in some purposeful exercise (progressive resistance ideally)

Then fix your habitual appetite issues with conscious decision making, calorie counting by weight, with accurate food entry, is a great aid

Do this for 8 weeks to a calorie defecit
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I am also interested to know when these daily, even multi-daily, threads come up, what people think is happening physiologically that makes the body do the exact opposite of what it's designed to and stores body fat without an excess of calories but in magical isolation? Now that is a bit sarcastic but also largely deadly serious. I cannot think of a reasonable explanation that means women suffer for years after taking birth control with a messed up metabolism or that the only thing their body now does is store fat (spoiler, if that were the case, your skin would horrible, hair falling out, muscle mass decreasing and a whole bunch of other stuff because it would have to divert the energy required for all of that to fat storage).

I have been on and off the pill, mostly on, since my teens due to acne and painful periods. I gain and lose because of how much I put in my pie hole and how much (or largely not) I exercised. Even when I was on powerful psych meds that made me ravenous, it was what I put in my mouth that made me gain weight.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    BC overrides the bodies natural hormone production. Doctors found it easier to block ovulation than sperm production. If you are fortunate not to have issues, Please count your blessings.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    BC overrides the bodies natural hormone production. Doctors found it easier to block ovulation than sperm production. If you are fortunate not to have issues, Please count your blessings.

Birth control leads to weight gain in some cases due to increased appetite and inability to control eating so consuming excess calories.

While it can have side effects they are not magical and the solution to,weight gain is the same for anyone

OP is no longer on birth control and hasn't been for a year

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Your metabolism is fine. If you gained weight, you ate too much. Set your goals up in MFP to lose weight and take steps to stay in your calorie deficit and you will lose weight.