Lemon in water

Options
I have a friend who says drinking a glass of water with the juice of 1 lemon in it every morning helped her to loose a bunch of weight.
Dose anyone else do this or have tried it? If so what were your results?
Also is there any scientific evidence that helps this? Theres lots of different conflicting evidence online im not sure what to believe.

Replies

• melymuu
    melymuu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In itself, it doesn't help with losing fat. As they've told you, you need to be in a caloric deficit in order to start shredding pounds. However, I've tried it and found that it help with digestion, specially if I'm feeling bloated. This is because it hydrates you and helps you get rid of some water weight (but it doesn't create fat loss). Water has to be warm and it's also a good idea to add a pinch of baking soda in it. Every time I drink it, I do in on an empty stomach.
  • mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Water will help you feel full.
    Adding lemon may help you drink more water.
    This may well help with appetite control.

So while weight loss is indeed calories in, calories out - drinking lemon water sounds like a good strategy to manage fluid intake and help you feel fuller.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    No scientific evidence that lemon water helps you lose weight, at all. Good news for your friend - she did it all herself!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If "conflicting evidence" means confusion and myths and woo, then yes, there's lots of conflicting evidence online.

To lose weight, you have to eat less and move more. If this makes it easier for you eat less and move more, it's useful for you.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Lemon water is more palatable than plain water, so people will drink more. When you are drinking water more often, you are feeling full more often.

The lemon water tip is literally just making the 'drink a glass of water before meals' tip more appealing. May as well do the flavored water things. Mioooooo.
  • dannybias46
    dannybias46 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Use lemon juice. Lemons have acid in it that will remove enamel from your teeth
    Lemons are a natural duietric
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think drinking lemon water helps with weight loss. Everyone here is saying it's just calories, but I don't feel that's strictly true. I think there are a combination of things that have to be taken into account for optimal weight loss. First, calories, how much you are eating on a daily basis. Then, exercise, how much you are burning on a daily basis. Then water, how you are drinking on a daily basis? Sleeping, how much you sleep on a nightly basis. Spread... how you spread out your food over the day. I think eating all your calories in one meal would make you lose more weight (I did) than spreading it out. It's about what works for everyone but as you can see, there are a host of things that effect your weight loss.

Now going back to lemon water, I think it's a good thing to incorporate into your diet. Not only does it banish belly bloat, but it detoxifies you and is good for your digestive system. I personally thinks it helps with my weightloss.

Good luck ❤️.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I think drinking lemon water helps with weight loss. Everyone here is saying it's just calories, but I don't feel that's strictly true. I think there are a combination of things that have to be taken into account for optimal weight loss. First, calories, how much you are eating on a daily basis. Then, exercise, how much you are burning on a daily basis. Then water, how you are drinking on a daily basis? Sleeping, how much you sleep on a nightly basis. Spread... how you spread out your food over the day. I think eating all your calories in one meal would make you lose more weight (I did) than spreading it out. It's about what works for everyone but as you can see, there are a host of things that effect your weight loss.

Now going back to lemon water, I think it's a good thing to incorporate into your diet. Not only does it banish belly bloat, but it detoxifies you and is good for your digestive system. I personally thinks it helps with my weightloss.

Good luck ❤️.

Eating your calories in one meal vs. three makes no difference. It's completely personal choice, and one person may lose better eating only one meal because they stick to their calorie goal better, but meal timing doesn't affect weight loss.

Your system doesn't need detoxifying, your body takes care of that for you itself. If there's something that your body can't detox, it's going to need a lot more than lemon water to get rid of it.
  • Gymgrl421
    Gymgrl421 Posts: 26 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Use lemon juice. Lemons have acid in it that will remove enamel from your teeth
    Lemons are a natural duietric

Where does lemon juice come from, if not from lemons? :smile:
  • loseitin_2016
    loseitin_2016 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I drink lemon water throughout the day simply because I don't like plain water.It is a natural diuretic but I don't believe I have ever lost any weight from it.It helps me drink more water.I think there is supposed to be some reasoning online about drinking hot water with lemon before breakfast but I drink mine with ice.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Lemon water is alkaline and it helps to offset an acidic system and cleanse the liver. If you like it.. it can not hurt. I personally believe in keeping my diet alkaline. However.. there are those on here who believe you can drink diet soda and 1400 calories in skittles a day and it is the same as drinking lemon water and eating 1400 calories in fresh vegetables, healthy fats, and fish.

I totally disagree.