Why do i ruin it

Options
By binging.... been fighting the urge to binge for 3 days and today I finally gave in
Really annoys me that I can't control it and I have no idea how to stop it. I've been doing it all my adult life and I wish I could stop!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you restricting yourself too much? Telling yourself that certain things are off-limits?

I feel that once you get that out of your head, it is easier to stop the binges.

By making something taboo or off-limits, I feel that it makes you want to do anything to get your hands on that food and it can lead to destructive behaviour.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    alqotaibi wrote: »
    By binging.... been fighting the urge to binge for 3 days and today I finally gave in
    Really annoys me that I can't control it and I have no idea how to stop it. I've been doing it all my adult life and I wish I could stop!

What is going on in your life/head when you get the urge to binge? Maybe start a journal and see if there is a pattern.
    What is normal eating and what is a binge to you?
    Are you on a very restrictive diet (calorie or food types) when these episodes occur?
    Do you try to manage your urge through other means (therapy, meditation, exercise, etc) or just try to ignore it?
    Do you have a lot of negativity toward yourself or food?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Make some observations about the circumstances that surround the binge and the time leading up to it. Are you under an unusual amount of stress, is it TOM, things like that. Eventually, you're likely to notice a pattern. Once you do that, you can begin to see a binge coming. You can also begin to develop some coping techniques, hopefully some things that will diffuse the urge.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What are your calories?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think we all get to a point were we don't give a crap and eat eat eat ...get back on track next day and move forward is all you can do ... Quitting is not a option .. I find I'm weakest when I don't get enough rest ..
    Good luck
  • Missbright14
    Missbright14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.
    I'm not restricting at all. I'm on 1750 cals and I eat most of my exercise calories too. I am ready to ovulate which does make me crave stuff. I just don't know how to stop it.

I had yesterday before work. 4 twirls and half a pack of nuts (the share bag) then got home and had full jar of Nutella, twirl bites and a takeaway.
    I feel fine now n feel like it's outa my system and I can start again.
    Just wish I could stop binging altogether xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.
    I'm not restricting at all. I'm on 1750 cals and I eat most of my exercise calories too. I am ready to ovulate which does make me crave stuff. I just don't know how to stop it.

I had yesterday before work. 4 twirls and half a pack of nuts (the share bag) then got home and had full jar of Nutella, twirl bites and a takeaway.

Are you eating your feelings? A lot of people binge as a coping mechanism for other things?
  • xbrains
    xbrains Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well I try to surf the urge rather than going under. Next time you get the urge, tell yourself you need to ride it like a wave. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Thanx guys.

Maybe stop buying stuff you binge on.

I liked your post, but... Speaking from a binger on the Eating Disorder side.

That doesn't work when you have access to money when the binge urge hits. It is extreeeeemely hard to resist it.
    That's true. But it depends on how the binge urge hits you. If you feel compelled to leave your house and go buy food and binge, or if you binge on boiled cabbage, you have a bigger problem than if you'll eat whatever sweet stuff is in your cupboard, but can't be bothered to go to the store and buy what you crave. The last scenario is so easy to fix.

OP, I suggest if bingeing is an often occurrence, go talk to your doctor.
    I agree seeking professional help is smart if unwanted behavior stems from emotional or physical dysfunction. If it's just about structuring your day differently or stop reading women's magazines, going to doctor would be overkill.

Think about how to phrase how you feel during, too. Do you even feel hungry? Or just extreme urge to eat? Huge difference between the two.
    This is important. I have found "the hunger scale" and eating a more nutritious diet to be a great help.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanx guys.

That doesn't work when you have access to money when the binge urge hits. It is extreeeeemely hard to resist it.
    That's true. But it depends on how the binge urge hits you. If you feel compelled to leave your house and go buy food and binge, or if you binge on boiled cabbage, you have a bigger problem than if you'll eat whatever sweet stuff is in your cupboard, but can't be bothered to go to the store and buy what you crave. The last scenario is so easy to fix.

I agree seeking professional help is smart if unwanted behavior stems from emotional or physical dysfunction. If it's just about structuring your day differently or stop reading women's magazines, going to doctor would be overkill.

Think about how to phrase how you feel during, too. Do you even feel hungry? Or just extreme urge to eat? Huge difference between the two.
    This is important. I have found "the hunger scale" and eating a more nutritious diet to be a great help.

I'll eat whatever is near, and all of it... xD; The urge hit me while I was out, but the binges can include anything and everything you even have at home. I ended up eating all my safe foods [medjool dates, fruit medley, etc]. If it is the second scenario that you brought it, it'll definitely be easier on her.

The hunger scale thing. That is super important. When it was a genuine health issue, I was actually FEELING hunger all the time. I felt like I was 'starving', was so hungry. Pretty much all the time. Turns out I had preeeeetty bad ulcers. xD; And I had only gone to the doc because I began throwing up blood.

OP, if you feel genuine hunger all the time, leading to the binges.. Def think about going to doctor.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.

I'll eat whatever is near, and all of it... xD; The urge hit me while I was out, but the binges can include anything and everything you even have at home. I ended up eating all my safe foods [medjool dates, fruit medley, etc]. If it is the second scenario that you brought it, it'll definitely be easier on her.

The hunger scale thing. That is super important. When it was a genuine health issue, I was actually FEELING hunger all the time. I felt like I was 'starving', was so hungry. Pretty much all the time. Turns out I had preeeeetty bad ulcers. xD; And I had only gone to the doc because I began throwing up blood.

OP, if you feel genuine hunger all the time, leading to the binges.. Def think about going to doctor.
    Oh, dates. No more "date nights" for me :( I've stopped buying dates. I may buy one pack when it's getting Christmas'y. Keeping "snack foods" around just makes things harder for me. But I eat good meals and really look forward to them, so I don't feel deprived. That's the big difference - I used to live off "diet foods", well, as long as I could, until I couldn't anymore, and then I had no structure to my eating. A good, reasonable, kind but firm, meal structure is good for me.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Forget all rules about eating and stop telling yourself you're on a diet. Just eat without putting pressure on yourself. Also experiment with other methods of eating. Bigger meals, different macro ratios, meal timing etc.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    I've had these issues previously aswell. What's worked for me is intermittent fasting. Timing my big meals around the end of the day just to have that full feeling while dieting.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.

Oh, dates. No more "date nights" for me :( I've stopped buying dates. I may buy one pack when it's getting Christmas'y. Keeping "snack foods" around just makes things harder for me. But I eat good meals and really look forward to them, so I don't feel deprived. That's the big difference - I used to live off "diet foods", well, as long as I could, until I couldn't anymore, and then I had no structure to my eating. A good, reasonable, kind but firm, meal structure is good for me.

Dates are never a safe food in my case. Ate nearly 500 calories of them last week while being "controlled and reserved". Good thing I was pretty active that day so I could afford them and willingly chose to spend my calories on them. Can't imagine how many calories I'd plug in if I was actually binging on them.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.

Dates are never a safe food in my case. Ate nearly 500 calories of them last week while being "controlled and reserved". Good thing I was pretty active that day so I could afford them and willingly chose to spend my calories on them. Can't imagine how many calories I'd plug in if I was actually binging on them.

They are safe for me because I tend to not overeat them. xD; Thank goodness I only had a few left in the package [3?].