Pregnancy

Options
janjan1981
janjan1981 Posts: 14 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
We were VERY shocked to find out I am pregnant yesterday. About 4 weeks along so still very early but I just started this weight loss journey and now I'm not sure how to proceed.

I started at 153.2 (I'm 5'5") and wanted to go down to 133.2 (so 20 pounds). I lost 3.8 pounds the first week. Can I continue eating 1200 calories a day my first trimester in hopes of dropping another 10 or so? I hate that I'm starting this pregnancy overweight and with an unhealthy BMI. I was at a perfect weight with my other 3 pregnancies. :(

Replies

• janjan1981
    Options
    And yes I will talk to my obgyn about this but I wanted to know if anyone else had experience with this situation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No. 1200 is too little for you to be eating while growing a baby. Your weekly goal is likely set at 1.5 or 2 lbs, which is too high for your stats even when not pregnant. I would suggest eating at maintenance (full maintenance, not maintenance less exercise) for now.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    No. 1200 is too little for you to be eating while growing a baby. Your weekly goal is likely set at 1.5 or 2 lbs, which is too high for your stats even when not pregnant. I would suggest eating at maintenance (full maintenance, not maintenance less exercise) for now.

This. You're at the top range of a healthy weight, so losing right now is not a good idea.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Some doctors will tell VERY obese women that its okay to not gain, or lose a little.
    I don't think any doctor is going to tell a woman in the healthy BMI range its okay to lose that much weight.

Eat food. Nutritious food. Now is not the time to get all tense about 20 pounds, when you'er growing a whole new person.

Growing a whole new person requires decent amounts of healthy fat, calcium, and protein. Don't make that new person pull all the calcium from your teeth and bones, and all the fat from you stored fat that's full of dioxins and BPA. Give it good material to work with.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I think you should consult with your doctor not ask for advice on the internet.
  • janjan1981
    Options
    Aaron I think perhaps you failed to read my first comment on this thread.

Anyway, thanks for the advice ladies. Lots of things I didn't even consider, i truly appreciate it.
  • Mrs_413
    Mrs_413 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also started at 140 lbs 5'4" and I my girls just turned 5 months... I am down to 142 with a goal weight of 135! You can do it!
  • janjan1981
    Options
    Thank you so much Mrs_413! I hadn't even considered setting my goal to be able to track healthy weight gain, that's a great idea