Calories burned MFP Vs. Map My Run

Options
trudiebamford
trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've recently started using the Map My Run app, but the difference in calories burned is pretty big, compared to the same exercise inputted in MFP. Take today, for instance. I ran for 66 minutes, at an average speed of 11.10 min per mile. I weigh 150lb. Map My Run said I burned 815 calories. If I input it manually into MFP, as running 5.2 mph (a little slower than my speed, but the closest I can find), it says I've burned 680 calories.

Which is closest?! I'm going by the lower number to be on the safe side, but I would like to know why the big difference. Is it the speed? Is Map My Run accounting for hills??

I am going to get a HRM, but in the meantime......

Replies

• EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would go with the one which better matches your intensity level. The intensity you entered on MFP is almost HALF the intensity of what recorded on MapMyRun, you can't expect them to be close. Try entering "running" into MFP, there was one in the database for 10.9 mph. Regardless, both are just calculations based on statistics based on weight and time/distance. Look into a heart rate monitor, that's going to be the most accurate! I think they have some which sync together. [edit] I just saw that you are going to get a HRM, good call!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You burn 0.62 calories/lb/mile. HR doesn't matter in calories burned.

So, your 10 mile run burned about 930 calories.
  • trudiebamford
    Options
    Sorry, I think I confused the issue by using two measurements. I ran an average of an 11.10 minute mile - that's approx 5.4 mph.....
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Isnt running (your weight)*(distance)*(0.63)?

So, do that and ignore the apps!
  • trudiebamford
    Options
    Right, thanks!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

So, do that and ignore the apps!

Yes...this is the formula for net calories burned (it takes calories burned by your normal metabolism into account). I find that most apps overestimate my calories burned.
  • trudiebamford
    Options
    The dreaded net calorie burn!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options

This will give you an estimate for running on the flat but is only a rough estimate - incline plays a significant role in calorie usage and in addition things like wind, how good (efficient) a runner you are, and even what surface you are running on can affect the figure.

Just know whichever "measurement" you use will be an estimate, and hard to say which is most accurate in your specific case - if you're trying to lose weight then going for the lowest figure is a good idea.