Does walking really do that much?

Options
According to my health app, I average about 10 miles per 8 hours a shift at work. It's a very slow walk. I'm a security officer for a retail store. According to the app, my available calorie intake sometimes exceeds the original calorie counting am allowed. I guess my question is, can walking that slow actually help me?

Replies

• EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Maybe it's helpful to differentiate between "activity" and walking for fitness. I sit at work for 8 hours, so your daily base burn is going to be higher than my daily base burn because you are more active at work. But if I walk 5 miles at an ideal intensity, my burn could exceed yours if you don't do anything extra fitness.

Does it help that you are active at work, sure. Is it a substitute for walking for fitness, no.
  • octopusplum
    octopusplum Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If it's part of your regular routine then you shouldnt factor that on. Is it good for your health? Sure! It isn't however an exercise activity.

I walk to work every day, if I counted that 30 minutes of my regular routine it would affect my calories on MFP. Since I don't want that to be considered an additional "exercise" I just let it figure into my pedometer as I always have. If it was something new I was changing as part of my health journey, I'd count it in on MFP as exercise.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    LonDavi78 wrote: »
    According to my health app, I average about 10 miles per 8 hours a shift at work. It's a very slow walk. I'm a security officer for a retail store. According to the app, my available calorie intake sometimes exceeds the original calorie counting am allowed. I guess my question is, can walking that slow actually help me?

Help you in what way? It certainly increases your calorie burn compared to somebody who sits at a desk all day, so it helps create a calorie deficit. As far as cardiovascular fitness, the effect would be pretty minimal.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If your activity level is set to sedentary, then I'd definitely count that walk to work as additional calories to eat. Maybe not eat them all back, but 70%-80% of them should be fine. You're burning calories and thus, need to replace them. That is, if your activity level in MFP is set appropriately.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns for walking are for the most point in relation to your distance not your speed.
    For a reasonable calorie estimate:
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles)

If you are looking for fitness improvements then walking faster and elevating your heart rate is important.

Whichever way you look at it walking is far better for you than sitting on your *kitten*!
    So yes - it's "helping you".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    LonDavi78 wrote: »

Help you in what way?

The more you move, the more energy you expend...you expend far more energy than a sedentary person. As a matter of fitness, walking is a great low impact activity but has a pretty low ceiling in regards to improving cardiovascular fitness.