Apple cider vinegar

Options
124»

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    There are many non-doctor-prescribed substances that help alleviate symptoms of illness. But they cannot be prescribed by doctors due to strict regulations, tightly controlled regimens of care directed by insurance companies and their restrictions on what they will pay doctors for, and because there are no clinical trials for non-patented chemicals. Somebody mentioned chewing on a root. Licorice root helps with symptoms of indigestion and reflux. I wish my doctor had recommended that I at least try some diet and lifestyle changes to treat my GERD, maybe chew some licorice root before putting me on a medication that wound up causing me to have extreme nutrient malabsorption after 4 years of use. I wish my doctor had instructed me to try all of the dietary and lifestyle changes that would have easily alleviated my symptoms. Instead she wrote me a prescription. A prescription that is only intended to be taken for about 2 months, I was going to be on it for life. She did the same when my cholesterol was elevated and blood pressure was high. Doctors here in the US prescribe pills for everything at the drop of a hat, including things that could be easily managed by dietary and lifestyle changes. I have managed high blood pressure, GERD, and high cholesterol myself, while my doctor wanted to put me on 3 different prescriptions with zero advice on lifestyle change. Our system does not advocate making healthy lifestyle changes and doctor's words are not gospel.

Acetic acid isn't a nutrient, but that doesn't mean that the relief that some people get from drinking it should be discounted. Drinking the raw sludgy ACV with "mother" might be helpful to some people because it introduces beneficial bacteria. Maybe it has antimicrobial properties. Or it might be placebo. If ACV helps alleviate your symptoms, whether it is a placebo effect or not, there is no harm in using it.

So 100% this.^^^^ My BIL has been a doctor for 30 years. He's also a very healthy eating advocate for lifestyle changes. He told us that when he offers diet/exercise/vitamin suggestions to his patients in order to help them avoid a drug, that of the patients he offers those changes to, about 20% will do it. The other 80% tell him they just want a pill to take care of it. THAT is sad. :-(
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Except that "prescribing" licorice root means telling your patients to go eat something that is non-standardized, not consistently labelled, and depending on growing conditions may have very different amounts of the active compounds.

Straight licorice has an ingredient (glycyrrhizin) which is actively dangerous in larger quantities and perhaps in moderate quantities if consumed regularly over time. You can buy de-glycryrizined licorice -- but labelling and standardization on it are unregulated.

A doctor that just told you go "go chew some licorice root" could be in serious, serious trouble if you went out and found some on your own, or went to a self-described "herbalist" who doesn't believe any plant can be dangerous (yes, I know plenty of that type of woo-meister).

I've said this before but it's worth repeating - just as there are good and bad medical doctors, there are good and bad natural practitioners. It really does come down to a person doing their due diligence of vetting someone. When I interviewed our current natural doctor she went through 45 minutes of answering questions that I specifically knew that only a good natural doc would know. A *good* herbalist (sounds like you know some that aren't) will only recommend DGL (deglycerinized licorice). And it's definitely good stuff for stomach trouble (indigestion, etc). By the same token, a doctor that is willing to say they are not comfortable making a recommendation because that area is out of their expertise shows their wisdom in knowing when to refer someone out. For me, that is another sign of a good practitioner (MD or natural). As always, vet your doctors well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It doesn't have any magical properties that help with weight loss...it is tasty in many BBQ recipes and I like using it in some of the dressings I make.

It does help with a charlie horse though...

Do you apply acv directly on the skin, like a salve? I get Charlie-horses frequently.

Applying ACV directly to the skin does get rid of skin barnacles. I've done it two ways 1. put it on a piece of a cotton ball and used a band aid to get it to stick and 2. made a paste with bentonite clay powder.

I used to get Charley horses but no longer do - I think for me the cause was a vitamin deficiency that I have since corrected. My SO used to get them a lot but no more after upping his water consumption after passing kidney stones.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/muscle-spasms-cramps-charley-horse

I thought you were joking when you used the term "skin barnacles". What a horrifying thought! :lol: Then Iooked up what they were. TIL I have skin barnacles.

Do NOT -- I repeat -- do NOT use Google Images to search for "skin barnacles". <shiver> Needs a trigger warning.

Ok, I had to look :dizzy:

For those who want to see what we're talking about without being traumatized, this is the sort of seborrheic keratoses / skin barnacle I was able to remove with ACV.

seborrheic-keratoses-1a.jpg

Like the article I posted above says, it's wise to keep the ACV on the barnacle and not the surrounding skin.

* I am not a dermatologist and this should not be construed as medical advice. Consult your dermatologist.
  • crawlingfish
    crawlingfish Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could say it works for weight loss in that, after chugging a shot of the stuff, you won't feel like eating anything for at least an hour....
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Vinegar is awful and I avoid it at all costs.

Edit: I do use white vinegar as a rinse aid in the laundry. It's brilliant for that. I hold my nose and dump it in. Can't stomach the smell of the stuff.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Edit: I do use white vinegar as a rinse aid in the laundry. It's brilliant for that. I hold my nose and dump it in. Can't stomach the smell of the stuff.

Vinegar also acts like a natural fabric softener. Wet clothes will still smell a bit like vinegar, but this goes away as they dry.
  • EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It helped de-skunk my dog. I originally bought it for health, but it's disgusting. I'd rather take a swig of pickle juice.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

You'd hate my kitchen. LOL. I have about seven different types of vinegar in the house at the moment. The most recent addition was Cherry Almond Balsamic. :smiley:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

You'd hate my kitchen. LOL. I have about seven different types of vinegar in the house at the moment. The most recent addition was Cherry Almond Balsamic. :smiley:

They took two of my favorite things - cherries and almonds - and put them with vinegar.

I can't even.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've read that studies have shown that ACV (or any vinegar) improves insulin sensitivity when taken with meals. So does green tea. I have no idea what the mechanism is, but am pretty curious.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Forget vinegar - I've got four different lactofermented pickles bubbling away in my kitchen right now!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Kombucha anyone?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Kombucha anyone?

Me!!!! Have two scobies. One is being fed with strawberries and apple mint and the other with mango and cinnamon basil. Herbs grown by me! Mix it with a little tart cherry juice before bed.

This reminds me--I need to bottle soon. :smiley:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,038 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It doesn't have any magical properties that help with weight loss...it is tasty in many BBQ recipes and I like using it in some of the dressings I make.

It does help with a charlie horse though...

Do you apply acv directly on the skin, like a salve? I get Charlie-horses frequently.

Applying ACV directly to the skin does get rid of skin barnacles. I've done it two ways 1. put it on a piece of a cotton ball and used a band aid to get it to stick and 2. made a paste with bentonite clay powder.

I used to get Charley horses but no longer do - I think for me the cause was a vitamin deficiency that I have since corrected. My SO used to get them a lot but no more after upping his water consumption after passing kidney stones.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/muscle-spasms-cramps-charley-horse

I thought you were joking when you used the term "skin barnacles". What a horrifying thought! :lol: Then Iooked up what they were. TIL I have skin barnacles.

Do NOT -- I repeat -- do NOT use Google Images to search for "skin barnacles". <shiver> Needs a trigger warning.

Ok, I had to look :dizzy:

For those who want to see what we're talking about without being traumatized, this is the sort of seborrheic keratoses / skin barnacle I was able to remove with ACV.

seborrheic-keratoses-1a.jpg

Like the article I posted above says, it's wise to keep the ACV on the barnacle and not the surrounding skin.

* I am not a dermatologist and this should not be construed as medical advice. Consult your dermatologist.

Seborrheic keratosis are benign and harmless.

As long as a doctor has verified that is what the lesion is ( and not a skin cancer or solar keratosis which leads to skin cancer) then if people want to treat with ACV, sure, go ahead

It may or may not work but doesn't matter anyway.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Vinegar also acts like a natural fabric softener. Wet clothes will still smell a bit like vinegar, but this goes away as they dry.

It's also amazing for setting dye in new clothes. If you have a brightly coloured garment that's going to run, run it through a rinse cycle on cold with a cup of white vinegar. No more running.
  • JadeRoatch
    JadeRoatch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    it may not help burn but it does have other things to help with your gut health and depending on the recipe you use like im using it now only because i have digestive problems and im trying to see if it helps with that but i think its more the workouts and eating less thats helping me and it does seem to give me a boost of energy which i like
  • nupururja
    nupururja Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There are claims that it helps weight loss but none of them have been proved to work.