:) Proud of how far you've come, but don't want to tell anyone because...

Options
you feel you don't look any different. That's when you have to remember why you started...and focus on the bigger picture. Which won't be me.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I don't like people focused on me and my body. Most people do not care at the end of the day.
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My weight loss has been such a gradual loss over the past two years that only my Mom really noticed. I can see the knowing looks on some of my friends faces when they see me after not having seen me in awhile, but they still haven't said anything. I have lost around 30 and I still have 10 or 15 left to lose, but it is not in my personality to talk about myself without being prompted to, so I don't bring it up as well.
  • callea1
    callea1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A pound here and there may not feel like much, but stay consistent!! Stick with it and you'll totally be thanking yourself later when those single pounds here and there result in a BIG change!!!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    For the ones I haven't seen in a while, it will be more fun to wait and see the looks on their faces.

Those that I see all the time already know. They are familiar with my routine and see what I am eating. They regularly ask what the total is as well as tips on food.
  • HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you, for your input. 265# and only 42 days of charting... And nothing good comes from tootin you horn. Let's stay focused and beat this weight issue.
  • noddy230983
    noddy230983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I haven't told everyone what I did weigh at the outset and exactly how much I have lost up until now!!
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    What were their responses??? Have you lost a lot? I am just in the beginning of my journey. Trying to comprehend making it into a life long structure. I do believe now, that is the only way to maintain from doing this over and over again.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I keep it to myself. In the past I have mentioned losing weight and then everyone would look at me differently and constantly making negative comments.

If someone brings it up and notices it it feels great. If not then it doesn't matter because I'm doing it for me.
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    You are all right, I am doing this for my self. We are doing it to be healthier.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I beleive you all have valid reasons. However along the journey it is good to have supportive friends on MFP as they are like minded and in the same boat
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed the compliments and said thank you and moved on. A few have asked how I did it and I said reducing calories and using the MFP app. EVERY single one of those few who asked how I did it blurted out that it's too much work. So I change the topic. (They are right-it is a lot of work but I want it bad enough.)

I got called "scrawny" by a co-worker. (I'm 5'2", 158 lbs-far from scrawny) and it hurt. I also got told yesterday I "look like a completely different person." I know it was meant in kindness but that hurt too. I'm just more of a fragile flower somedays I guess.

No matter what, it's for ME and MY health.
  • EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately many people don't know how to compliment, or mention the changes they see in you in a constructive or supportive way. It's nice to get feedback until you get a back-handed compliment like, "Wow, you use to be so huge, now look at you!"

For me personally, there's a lot of shame associated with my weight and any time someone comments, I want to make a quick get away. I don't want to discuss my weight related challenges with people I see regularly, or irregularly. Here on MFP, there's less risk to the discussion, and you can more easily dismiss tactless or unhelpful comments.

I come here to boast about my successes and moan about my challenges. It's just overall safer here than in real life!
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    I guess, because, a few people I know, who stop by all the time to visit, all they talk about is their diet, on how they don't drink pop. And doesn't my wife look good. She stands and twirls waiting for a compliment on her outfit, nails. So I give them, every time on every thing she wants me to take notice of.... and never gives one back... on any level of thanks for any thing. I know it's just them... their personalities.
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    I'm 62 what do I still get so .... move on Judy.