Mojito's aren't THAT calorific are they?

Options
I mean, i know it's alcoholic and made with sugar, but with 584 calories left for today, do you think I can have one? Or will you all be telling me to 'STAY AWAY FROM THE DRINKS CUPBOARD, I REPEAT, STEP AWAY FROM THE DRINKS CUPBOARD' ?

Replies

• rubbingbirds
    Options
    :noway: I was shocked that they are actually very high in calories!! even the ones made with "fresh" fruit!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    According to a quick google search, an average mojito is around 160 calories. I say have one, but be careful what else you eat with your remaining calories, because of the effect the mojito may have on your nutritional decision-making. :)

http://www.projectfoodie.com/news/articles/the-10-most-fattening-cocktails.html
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    Mojitos are my favorite drink in the summer. You could order a "skinny" one.... slightly less calories.
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    Sure you could have a couple with 584 left! How many calories can it have? 140 for the rum? A couple of teaspoons of sugars, some mint, lime and a touch of soda.
  • holliehhobbie
    holliehhobbie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make fresh mojitos and when I add the ingrediants to make one comes out ot be 230 calories a drink and 30 sugars.
  • Nytram81
    Nytram81 Posts: 44
    Options
    A skinny one?? Tell me more.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    there are commercials for a premixed one from jose cuervo i think? 100 calories per serving!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Very high in calories and BAD calories at that. processed sugar is BAD BAD BAD calories. Say goodbye to the six pack abs if you want to drink mojitos.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    get them to make it without the simple syrup and put a splash of sprite in it instead! or skip the sprite too and just squeeze some extra lime in there!
  • luckymommy
    luckymommy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    crystal light has a mojito mix out right now, its not to bad, I add alcohol and fresh mint to it. saves lots of sugar!
  • Nytram81
    Options
    I shouldn't have asked, I should have just made one. Oh well, water it is for me.
  • chmie662
    chmie662 Posts: 31
    Options
    i'd opt for a 6 pack of bud select 55 = 330 calories.
    stay away from the skinny girl margarita they sell in the liquor store...disgusting!!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    A skinny one?? Tell me more.

Its served in a highball glass (tall and skinny) instead of the bigger glass. Some places use a lower-calorie mixer for the "skinny" versions of their drinks.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would totally drink the mojito with that many calories left, but this is coming from the girl who will be drinking her own version of a skinny margarita tonight :wink: Sorry, but all work and no play is no way to live, or at least no way for *me* to live. If this is a "lifestyle change" and not a diet, then it will include alcohol here and there, and not just crappy low carb, reduced calorie alcohol.
  • TJ50
    TJ50 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can make simple sugar with Splenda or just use splenda which saves on the sugar calories and then you just have the rum calories. Or as someone else mentioned, have the Crystal Light and add some mint leaves and pretend there is rum in it!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I would totally drink the mojito with that many calories left, but this is coming from the girl who will be drinking her own version of a skinny margarita tonight :wink: Sorry, but all work and no play is no way to live, or at least no way for *me* to live. If this is a "lifestyle change" and not a diet, then it will include alcohol here and there, and not just crappy low carb, reduced calorie alcohol.

that's what I am talking about..
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i make mine with splenda... :).. fresh at home... i wouldn't get them out.. and i use a diet sprite or something to give it the little extra sweetness is lacks from the sugar :)
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Its not really the same, but I :heart: Patron and Sprite Zero. 1 oz of Patron, Sprite Zero with a lime = 69 calories!! Its so good!! :drinker: BUT I think you would be okay if you had at least one mojito!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really all depends on where you get it! Some places add sour mix in addition to the sugar so the calories can be quite high.

I make this one at home and it's only 75-80 calories:

Wholesome Sweeteners - Organic Blue Agave Nectar, 0.16 tbsp
    Bacardi Superior - Rum, 1 fl oz
    Schweppes - Club Soda Sodium Free, 4 oz
    Generic - Fresh Mint Leaves, 1 g
    Realime - 100% Lime Juice, 1.5 TBSP (1 ounce)
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 80
  • Nytram81
    Options
    This would be a home-made one. One shot of rum. about 9 mint leaves, half a pint glass of soda water, fresh lime juice, a tablespoon of sugar and ice cubes. but because i only started eating sensibly '2 DAYS AGO' I should probably cut back for a while. I've gotten a banana instead. But Mojito's will come back ... one day.