gout :((((((

Options
I am a patient of gout , How do I have to feed you ?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean that you have gout and how do you need to eat?

I also have gout...I eat a substantively plant based diet...vegetarian 3x per week most weeks and when I eat meat it's only once per day usually and usually fish or chicken...red meat and shell fish tend to be the worst offenders for most people, but that's something you're also going to have to play with because we all react differently to different things with gout...there's no true one size fits all strategy. Regular exercise will also help you keep uric acid levels down. Drink lots of water and watch your alcohol.

Some plant based foods are higher purine, but you don't really need to worry about those...most studies out there indicate that they aren't an issue...

Some people like myself can keep things under control with just diet and exercise...some people require medications to get their uric acid to acceptable levels.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of berries. They help lower uric acid levels.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I tend to get gout attacks a few times a year, due I think to the diuretic I'm on for blood pressure. What I've found is: having red meat more than once in a two day period is likely to trigger an attack for me. Other foods don't seem to bother me as much as having a couple of hunks of red meat two or three meals in a row. Last time I noticed this, I had steak and eggs for breakfast, and barbecue for dinner; next day, ouch.

I take tart cherry extract capsules. I read about them a couple of years ago, and started taking them when I felt an attack coming on. They seemed to reduce the intensity and length of the attack. I prefer them to the juice extract because of the convenience.

So I decided about a year ago to start taking two of these capsules every morning, whether or not I was having an attack. I haven't had an attack since. Maybe it's coincidence (and there's no hard proof tart cherry juice reduces gout inflammation yet), but I'm sticking with it as long as I'm symptom free.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/09September/Pages/Cherry-juice-touted-as-treatment-for-gout.aspx
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You should consume low protein foods and foods low in purines. My cousin has it so he eats most carby food and makes smoothies with safe fruits, limits dairy, no meat or beans. But he has severe gout.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My husband has gout. He treats it with a diet that is moderate protein, low fructose, lower carb, and lower in grains.
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband had severe gout episodes that we contributed to high sugar intake. Cherries helped immensely. Especially frozen ones just slightly thawed and eaten plain. At the first sign of an attack eat any sort of cherry, fresh, frozen or concentrated juice and it will stop the onset. Also hydrate as much as possible.
  • firat4s4s
    firat4s4s Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    very Thank you. good luck :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This would be something to discuss with the doctor that diagnosed you with gout.