Too much water?

Options
It's only 3:15PM and I've already had (12) 8oz cups of water. I still have 7 hrs to go before I get to bed. Can a person drink too much water in a day? I normally drink 10-12 cups a day. For some reason today it's easy to drink and feels great!

Replies

• _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Nope. As long as you have functioning kidneys, you will just pee out whatever excess you have.

Are you excessively thirsty though? Without real reason?
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can but it's very hard to do so.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm

Or you can google water intoxication to learn more about it. Just make sure you add in gatorades/powerades to help with areas that water does not.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Keep drinking your water..... You would have to drink a ton and not urinate for it to have a bad effect and possibly kill you.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    ^^ You need to be drinking around a gallon of water an hour to come close to toxicity.
  • Millie77
    Millie77 Posts: 39
    Options
    Not sure if you can have to much, but if you are drinking it because you are thirsty constantly, that can be a sign of diabetes.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Drink away! Water is great! You may make more frequent trips to the restroom but thats okay!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    You can but it's very hard to do so.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm

Or you can google water intoxication to learn more about it. Just make sure you add in gatorades/powerades to help with areas that water does not.

Yeap what she said!
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Nothing to worry about :-) I drink a gallon of water per day and I feel great. If you feel good don't worry then, you are doing your body a great favor :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Nope. As long as you have functioning kidneys, you will just pee out whatever excess you have.

Just a normal day not excessively thirsty. I joke with my hubby I pee like I'm 8mths prego! I've just kicked back in gear and started taking a water bottle everywhere with me. (Took it with to fold laundry, play with the kids, outside to clean out the car, etc...) I also have a softball to sit through tonight and see the sun is finally coming out. I expect once I get out in the sun I'll start taking in even more.

I've never had an issue of drinking too much it's usually me struggling to drink the water. I wonder if it my body needs it to recover from the last 2 weeks of eating like crap and all the pop I drank.

Had anyone experienced this?
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It is physically possible to drink too much water. There have been cases where lung and functions shut down due to too much water (I think it also affects neurological functions). However, I heard it’s not so much how much you drink but how fast you drink it. They said most people affected by too much water are hard core athletes who look to quickly replace water loss. Since you met your daily water consumption goal, I would just sip throughout the day to prevent dry mouth, but not necessarily go too crazy. I think most of us would feel sick before getting to a dangerous point (I know drinking too much water makes me feel sick to my stomach-I can feel water sloshing around). Hope this helps.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Actually, yes, it is possible to drink too much water ... but most people don't.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I dont' know where you are but it's extremely hot here and I seemed to have drank more water today than normal, maybe that's it?
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I dont' know where you are but it's extremely hot here and I seemed to have drank more water today than normal, maybe that's it?

South Dakota...until a few mins ago it was cool (well cool for us) and rainy. I feel great just wondering if I should back off the water. I didn't drink it all at once I've going since 5am today.