Getting tips from other people

EmilyQC
EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
So I was jogging with my son yesterday, and we passed a man that lives in our neighborhood. He's really nice, walks his dog a lot, anyways he stopped me to tell me to drink water... fine whatever yeah I know I need to drink water while im running its the summer and its hot and i'm sweating. Thanks for your advice. Next time around we meet him on the other side of our block, as we were walking/jogging in different directions, he stops me again and asks how often I run? I say I do about 10 miles a week, this day I was doing 5, and he says why do you run? DUH i'm trying to lose weight, its fun and my son enjoys it. Then he gets all concerned , "are you eating enough food?", "do you eat enough vitamin k? because if you don't eat enough meat you'll die of a vitamin k deficientcey" and I was like im pretty sure vitamin k is from leafy greens, he says no you need to eat a lot of meat so you don't die. I told him I eat mostly organic, raw, fresh, homegrown, local produce, he says "oh organic doesn't mean anything, its not really good for you at all", some meat to make up my protein, and calcium from almond milk and yogurt, he said oh "you need more than that, adults need to drink whole milk for the milk fat, everyone needs to drink cows milk for the milk fat" , and I was like um no. Wow so morale of the story is when listening to someone tell you what you should be doing be poilte but go home and make sure you know whats good for your body, research everything and make sure that your getting the correct vitamins and minerals, calcium, ect. that YOU need.

end rant.

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    General rule of thumb - The more people talk, the less they know.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Unsolicited advice...gotta love it.

My first thought was this: Next time this person stops you and asks you what you're doing, look him straight in the eye and say "I've recently switched over to cannibalism. People who talk a lot taste really yummy - something about all the jaw movements and hot air flow makes the meat really tender."

But that's just me. I don't like it when people poke into my business uninvited. However, if you see this person every day and/or live in a small town, things could get awkward. A smile and nod would probably work better. Or - cross the street when you see him coming. [I say this out of the spirit of not wanting you to break your stride when you're running...I gotta think that's a bit irritating, too!]
  • Lol, folks like that are the reason I take everything I hear with a grain of salt.
This discussion has been closed.