Infatuation vs Love

Options

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Infatuation is like a fast food burger. Its quick, its convenient, it tastes pretty good, but it is probably not all that good for you. Love is a Steak burger. It perhaps took some effort to find the right cut, the right doneness, the right seasoning, but when you do, you will never taste anything as good as that steak burger ever again.

Of course you'd make this innocent thread, all about oral; well done! :p:o
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Infatuation=A feeling, fleeting, short lived, no roots

Love=knowledge, consistency, long lasting, deep roots

Also I would like to add that to me love is a deep trust. It means you are safe in someone's love
  • bigmuney
    bigmuney Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Both are fun
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Infatuation is like a fast food burger. Its quick, its convenient, it tastes pretty good, but it is probably not all that good for you. Love is a Steak burger. It perhaps took some effort to find the right cut, the right doneness, the right seasoning, but when you do, you will never taste anything as good as that steak burger ever again.

Of course you'd make this innocent thread, all about oral; well done! :p:o

Infatuation = oral, love ...
  • Raechel120
    Raechel120 Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    Infatuation=cheap batteries from a pound store
    Love = duracell rechargeable batteries.

This has to be the absolute best answer ever!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I think most people never know love only an inflated form of infatuation
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    AnnyisOK wrote: »
    How do you define the two?
    I think people can fall out of love with a spouse, but not as much with their children. Many would sacrifice themselves for their children out of love. For spouses................well with a 50% divorce rate on average, probably not so much.

Infactuation is just a "dream" wish of a relationship that likely isn't really going to turn out that way.

The issue here is that many people on average may have 7 serious relationships in their lifetime and they are choosing the best relationship from that. And with over 4 billion people on Earth, that's not a lot to really know if you've really met the love of your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »

I often think this too.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I think people can fall out of love with a spouse, but not as much with their children. Many would sacrifice themselves for their children out of love. For spouses................well with a 50% divorce rate on average, probably not so much.

Infactuation is just a "dream" wish of a relationship that likely isn't really going to turn out that way.

The issue here is that many people on average may have 7 serious relationships in their lifetime and they are choosing the best relationship from that. And with over 4 billion people on Earth, that's not a lot to really know if you've really met the love of your life.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And this is a fear of mine. What if you never find the love of your life? What if people over time settle for content? Well, I guess there's nothing wrong with that, better than being unhappy.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Very tough subject.
    Firstly, I'm fairly scientific so I guess that's kind of a passion killer on the subject and there are so many definitions of 'love' vs a fairly straight cut definition of 'infatuation'.

I know this.

Recently me and my girlfriend split up, we have our differences!

We got back together after a week of missing each other like crazy - we know each other's imperfections, we drive each other crazy sometimes and annoy each other at least ONCE a day.

I also know this, I can't see myself being happy with anybody else - that is my personal definition of love - I worship the ground she walks on, physically and mentally I find her attractive and no matter how many differences we have, that doesn't change.
  • _Minx
    _Minx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Very tough subject.
    Firstly, I'm fairly scientific so I guess that's kind of a passion killer on the subject and there are so many definitions of 'love' vs a fairly straight cut definition of 'infatuation'.

I know this.

Recently me and my girlfriend split up, we have our differences!

We got back together after a week of missing each other like crazy - we know each other's imperfections, we drive each other crazy sometimes and annoy each other at least ONCE a day.

I also know this, I can't see myself being happy with anybody else - that is my personal definition of love - I worship the ground she walks on, physically and mentally I find her attractive and no matter how many differences we have, that doesn't change.

Well said and very true
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »

I often think this too.
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And this is a fear of mine. What if you never find the love of your life? What if people over time settle for content? Well, I guess there's nothing wrong with that, better than being unhappy.

We all settle, we never attain 100% of what we desire; in any facet of life! Settling is why despite there being numerous people around the world, we tend to choose someone; within a few miles!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    heck, I'd settle for infatuation....

it's better than nuthin' *shrug
  • sw33tp3a_1
    sw33tp3a_1 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    There's many types of love. I have known two kinds..your first love... and then the love that you will always compare to someone else. Loving them regardless if you are together or not and knowing that no one will ever take their place in your heart.

I've also known infatuation. Those people are replaceable. They come into your life for whatever purpose...then they go.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,599 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who took a human sexuality course in college. They posed this same question and the answer they came up with was, "You know when it's over".
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I had a friend who took a human sexuality course in college. They posed this same question and the answer they came up with was, "You know when it's over".

I completely agree with that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Lots of great replies on here. Not sure I can add anything new. Infatuation is when you feel lust and attraction, you want to have sex with them and experience them that way, you are living out a fantasy with them (and you know that), it's fun, but you probably know it's temporary because you probably aren't compatible in certain ways, but you indulge in it for fun because you have chemistry and sexual compatibility that lasts until it wears off. Love is when your friendship/relationship causes you both to grow as people and become better, healthier, happier, self aware people. When you know that they are the one you always want most. When you stand with each other through the most difficult things in life to catch each other during those difficult times and it increases your love instead of decreasing it. When the things that you get annoyed by are actually things you love about them too. When you each want the other to be happy. When you can envision every life stage with them. When a hug from them takes your stress away. And you see yourself in a better way through their eyes because they love you.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you like him/ her physically it's infatuation
    If you like him/ her intellectually it's admiration
    If you like him/ her physically and intellectually is a combo of infatuation and admiration.
    If you don't know why in the world you like this person more than anybody else it's love :smile:
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    Infatuation. I'm currently experiencing this at work. lol It's lust, seeing the outer shell, not seeing the inside - that comes when you truly want to get to know someone and take the time to get there. Wanting the physical, not really concerned with the heart of it all. I do believe love can grow from an infatuation, given time.

Love. For me, it's my best friend. I love him. More than words can say. Distance separates us. Perhaps one day it won't. But, that's ok. I know he loves me too. Encouragement, loving without restrictions, knowing all and realizing that the person is only human and their imperfections are indeed real..but you still need/want them anyway. A sacred bond that only the two of you know, see, feel and fight for. When you can truly be your true self within the comfort of them.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me wonder if infatuation can't turn into love. I think there's more to infatuation than just lust. I think it also means seeing the object of your infatuation through rose -colored glasses. You only see the good. Even things that would be annoying or less-than-ideal in a long-term relationship can be things you find cute or endearing in someone you're infatuated with. But who's to say that after that wears off you don't still find yourself attracted to and caring about - or even loving - that person? We definitely don't start off loving someone we've just met, so we've got to start somewhere. I'm not saying that all love starts off as infatuation, but I'd imagine some does.