epic (for me) community service trek in nepal

Options
I am on my way home after five or so weeks in the Himalayas, where I worked as part of a medical team in a really rugged and remote part of Nepal. Some stats: we walked approximately 140 miles, climbed five passes over 17000 feet (and about as many more at 15000 feet or more), and accumulated the equivalent of going ten miles straight up.

Along the way, we did six official medical clinics, four or five impromptu clinics, treated about 900 people (most seeing more than once clinician) and six or seven horses and mules.

Preparing for this trip has been the focus of my last eight months of gym (weights and cardio) and outdoor (hiking and climbing) work. I am happy to report that I didn't get hurt, or even too sore, and even better, I had enough energy to enjoy working in the clinics in addition to the physical challenges, for which I was well-prepared.

I think my next challenge is prepping for a ten day mountaineering course that ends with a three day climb of Mt. Rainer. I'd love to make some new friends that spend time in the gym so they can do this kind of stuff...

Replies

• arjeffries136
    arjeffries136 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!!!!
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Great job! It's hard being at those altitude. I didn't look to see where you live, but if you're in Washington they have the Mountaineers with great climbing courses.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!