I just had a baby and I can't lose the weight!!

Options
Ahhhh... I need help. I had my son 2 months ago and I gained 30 lbs. I feel so bad about myself!

Replies

• octopusplum
    octopusplum Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath, you just had a baby! Your hormones are and have been wonky,and if you're breast feeding you're going to keep weight on longer.

Even if you aren't...you just had a baby! Enjoy that. The weight will come off with time. Just eat healthy and do some exercise when and as you feel ready.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Remember, it takes 9 months to gain it, it is going to take some time to come off. My little girl is 6 mo old and I just began working out and eating right about a month ago. I've lost 4 lbs so far with hard work and determination. just remember, it will happen...don't rush yourself and enjoy that precious little bundle.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    And, just in case you really want to lose the weight, remember that no matter what else in going on in your life emotionally or medically, if you eat less food that you need every day, you're going to lose weight. It can seem really complicated and threatening when you're stressed and distracting, but it's truly that simple. You can do it no matter what else is happening. It may even give you the sense of control you're lacking in other areas as life gets all crazy with a new little one in the house.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? It was basically impossible for me to lose weight while nursing. Smell your son's head, remember that you've made a human and cut yourself some slack!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    2 months is nowhere near enough time to be worrying about weight loss.
  • claudiaheye
    claudiaheye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    Are you breastfeeding? It was basically impossible for me to lose weight while nursing. Smell your son's head, remember that you've made a human and cut yourself some slack!

My daughter is three months old. I thought I would get my body back my breastfeeding I haven't at all. I am hungry all the time. I also stress eat. Where you hungry all the time and that is why you had a hard time losing weight?
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both of my babies and the weight just fell off. I gained twice your amount. Breastfeeding burns more calories, so you're naturally going to be hungry. You'll also be very thirsty. Be sure to always drink water while you're feeding. I credit all my weight loss to breastfeeding. I did try to eat healthy and my only exercise was light yoga and pilates. Good luck!. And 2 months is not enough time to take the weight off. 9 month mark is usually right.
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Kellikat80 wrote: »
    I breastfed both of my babies and the weight just fell off. I gained twice your amount. Breastfeeding burns more calories, so you're naturally going to be hungry. You'll also be very thirsty. Be sure to always drink water while you're feeding. I credit all my weight loss to breastfeeding. I did try to eat healthy and my only exercise was light yoga and pilates. Good luck!. And 2 months is not enough time to take the weight off. 9 month mark is usually right.

I think that your experience is common, but it's also completely normal not to be able to lose while breastfeeding. Hormones do wacky things. For me, I could not lose anything at all while breastfeeding.
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Whoops - I didn't mean that to be unmotivatipnal to the OP at all!! Just wanted to say, give yourself time and don't feel like something is wrong because the weight isn't falling off the way it may have for some of your friends.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I had a baby 4 months ago and my weight is not coming off yet. I'm tired every minute of every day so it's hard to find the motivation to work out consistenty, plus I've been making a lot of easy food for the family, which doesn't help. Dont beat yourself up. The newborn phase is way too short. Time spent cuddling your new human is way more precious that time spent working out or stressing about weight!
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My son is 9.5 WEEKS and I am breastfeeding. I have lost about 36 lbs since I delivered, logging for 4 weeks now and have lost about 17 since starting my logging. I set it to 2 lbs per week then I manually changed my calories to 500 more than that and that's what I do. It's working and my supply isn't affected. Have you been logging? Weighing your food?