Lose weight with spinal disability

Options
princessemma24
princessemma24 Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2016 in Introduce Yourself
I want to lose weight to become a mum and to be healthy again but I'm struggling with my spinal condition which affects my every day life including excersise has anyone got any tips on where to start when I'm in agony? Also I'm looking for friends so feel free to add me

Replies

• rlilly697
    rlilly697 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    it would depend on your Spinal condition n the extent?
    You can do plenty of seated exercises that would have little impact on your spine which you can find on-line.

Good Luck!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Know that weight is lost primarily in the kitchen. Provided that you eat less than what your body burns in a day you will lose weight - whether you are able to exercise or not.

Welcome to MFP! :)
  • larryc251
    larryc251 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you have but my bottom 3 discs are damaged and i had gotten 3 epidurals, 1 in each disc, after that i have been perfectly fine. I go to the gym 7 days a week now and haven't had any issues at all
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less calories than you burn to lose weight. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, many people don't. I lost 100# before I even began walking more. Now I go to the gym everyday. Exercise is important to overall health.
    You should always consult with a health care professional when you begin a weight loss program, and in your case where you are in agony, it is especially important. You do not want to undertake anything that could exacerbate your condition.
    Best of luck to you!
  • princessemma24
    princessemma24 Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thankyou everyone, I have had trauma to my brain and spine which has unfortunately concluded a spinal and brain condition. I experienced this during dv
  • amandaward1511
    amandaward1511 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was born with a spinal issue. All her life she has been in pain. My husband who is a body builder encouraged her to do water activities. Water weights,aerobics, and even swimming. She looks amazing now!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone, I have had trauma to my brain and spine which has unfortunately concluded a spinal and brain condition. I experienced this during dv

Still not sure what sort of condition that is. Do you have herniated discs and/or broken bones in your spine, upper spine? Has that injury healed? It's hard to recommend something without knowing the extent of the injury. You may want to consult a physical therapist first to make sure you're able to exercise.

For instance, I have spinal stenosis (arthritis in my spine), 4 previously herniated discs, one which had to be partially removed because it bulged out so far it cut off the sciatic nerve in my lower back. I did not, however, have to do a spinal fusion, so there's some cartilage left in those areas, I simply have to be careful not to herniate it again. So heavy lifting, where weight is placed on my spine, is out of the question for me, but body weight training is not. Walking is ok, and I'm finding that I can now, after 1.5 or more years of losing weight and getting stronger, jog some as well. So it all depends on your injuries and how far the healing process has gone, as well as any permanent issues left from those injuries.

One thing is for sure, if you are overweight, losing weight will help any spinal condition, and exercise is not required for that. It's a bonus, yes, but not a requirement.