Close to goal: weight loss not showing?

Options
So I'm about six pounds from my goal weight, and I've always heard that the more weight you lose, the less pounds off it takes to show (I.E 200 > 190 is a small visual difference verses 160 > 150)

However, I've been losing weight on the scale, but I feel like from going 165 to 155 I've seen /no/ change at all. Maybe it's just mental, but I'm not sure. It doesn't feel like my clothes are getting looser either.

Anyone have this problem or can explain what might be happening? Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How much 5 lbs shows is partially dependent on where you are in your healthy range. I am sure it varies by person too.

My healthy range based on height is 115 to 154. Going from 150 even up to 159 makes no visual difference on me. From 148 down to 146 there is a sudden visual difference.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How tall are you? How much 5 lbs shows is partially dependent on where you are in your healthy range. I am sure it varies by person too.

My healthy range based on height is 115 to 154. Going from 150 even up to 159 makes no visual difference on me. From 148 down to 146 there is a sudden visual difference.

Oh, that's a really good point. Can't believe I didn't realize that, haha.

I'm 5'5" and my "healthy" BMI is 112-150 lbs. So would I have to go down all the way to about lower 140's to see a real visual difference? Jeez :sweat:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Well it varies by person too--body shape, composition, etc. I am pretty straight up and down--no strongly defined waist, carry most excess weight in stomach rather than hips/thighs, my legs (including thighs) are very lean at 146. Other women may not see that until much lower if they carry more fat there (more common female fat area.)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It could also be mental. Have you compared pictures of yourself at your heavier weight, your in between weight, and your current weight?

Because you see yourself everyday, it may be difficult for you to realize it unless you see it all side by side.
  • pavingnewpaths
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Well it varies by person too--body shape, composition, etc. I am pretty straight up and down--no strongly defined waist, carry most excess weight in stomach rather than hips/thighs, my legs (including thighs) are very lean at 146. Other women may not see that until much lower if they carry more fat there (more common female fat area.)

I carry most of my weight in my hips definitely, and my chest I suppose but I'm actually less concerned with losing weight there. I'm about a size 8/10 there and I'm fine with that. I'm mostly concerned with my arms and stomach area. I know I obviously can't control where I lost the weight, but I'm measuring by how well shirts and blazers fit vs pants.
  • pavingnewpaths
    Options
    It could also be mental. Have you compared pictures of yourself at your heavier weight, your in between weight, and your current weight?

Because you see yourself everyday, it may be difficult for you to realize it unless you see it all side by side.

Yeah, I was trying to do this (because I was thinking along that same line), but I really feel as though I look exactly the same as I did when I was 10 lbs heavier last month. Also my shirts seem to fit the same, I think.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Your brain does not show you exactly what is there, sometimes it shows you what you expect to see, especially when looking at yourself. There are people who have lost very large amounts of weight and still see themselves as fat in the mirror. I'm afraid it's just a common brain glitch (body dysmorphia). This is why people swear by progress photos, for some reason you can see the difference better in a photo.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It may also depend where you lost the fat from which would make it more or less obvious