Options
2»

Replies

• CALS0CCERBEAR87
    CALS0CCERBEAR87 Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Eat veggies for health, but I wouldn't recommend them for hunger....they have very low saiety for most people. They aren't free but you'd be hard pressed to eat so many as y9 amount to a lot of calories. Some are more calories than others though.

agreed. like brocc is most filling with something like grilled chicken breast and whole grain brown rice...and carrot sticks with hummus or guac

red beets are pretty filling when boiled and topped w/evvo+balsamic
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No. log them. Sorry. Nothing's free!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    What would all herbivore animals live off if they were free? Seriously?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    What would all herbivore animals live off if they were free? Seriously?

Well to be fair herbavoires have special digestive enzymes in their guts that allow them to digest cellulose and derive nutrition from it. The reason we don't get that many calories out of vegetables is because for the most part we can't digest them. Hence the fiber. I don't know the numbers but I'm guessing if an herbivore ate a piece of celery they'd get a lot more out of it calorically than we do.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how you want to do it. If 1200 already gives you a good deficit, then you may well have capacity to eat plenty of vegetables, say 300 calories a day worth, and still have a decent deficit. Obviously, it won't be accurate and you wouldn't lose weight at the rate expected. But I think the point of vegetables being free (on some commercial diets) is to encourage you to eat more, which is generaly a good thing! Just be aware that some vegetables (avocado, potato, etc) are quite calorific. Good luck!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Eat veggies for health, but I wouldn't recommend them for hunger....they have very low saiety for most people. They aren't free but you'd be hard pressed to eat so many as y9 amount to a lot of calories. Some are more calories than others though.

I find potatoes quite filling, even just on their own. Eg leftover roast potatoes ( I use almost no oil)

Admittedly potatoes are not low calorie and I wouldn't suggest not logging them.

• LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, this is myfitnesspal. To accurately count calories, you have log to EVERYTHING.

Good luck ❤️.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    No you have to count them! I have eaten anywhere from 300-500 calories in veg alone.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Programs like Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers which have 'free' vegetables will be adjusting for them in the allocation they give you (ie ProPoints for WW). They aren't free, they've just factored them in for you to encourage you to reach for veggies rather than something else. So your ProPoints allocation for WW might equal 1200 calories when MFP gives you 1400 because WW factors in that you will eat around 200 cals of veg a day.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ha, I wish veggies were 'free'! Especially since I eat plant-based, so if veg were free I'd be able to stuff my face all day long. Unfortunately that isn't the case :(

Lots of veg are pretty low in calories though. But it's always good to eat lots of 'em! So I'd recommend making 'em a big part of your diet (cause it means you can eat tons) but log 'em. I'm on 1300 net per day and I can easily make up 300 cals or more of that with veg. Especially if you've a low allowance, it can make up a significant part of how much you're eating :)
  • Chrissygalpal
    Chrissygalpal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    THANKS everyone. Thank you so much. Great insight.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Are veggies a free food?

I once saw a women get arrested for shoplifting a rutabaga, so no. ;)

Vegetables give you bulk in your diet without correspondingly high calories. They make an excellent choice for any weight loss program because of that. :)
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Classic WW line "Nobody gets to Weight Watchers by eating too many fruits and vegetables."

Of course your body counts the calories but the nutrition to calorie ratio is much higher. You gots to eat to live. If you're gonna be sloppy in your logging, pick the "Veggies for 100, Alex." (credit to Jeopardy)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm with the masses here. Log it even If it's a piece of lettuce on a sandwich.

Unless you wanna play a game with yourself, Free Veggies!, to encourage better choices. Might knock off a couple hundred calories off of your daily goal and not log them. I've thought about it, but don't want my diary to look like I live off of meat and cheese :wink: