How do you accept weight gain and move on?

Options
Hi all so ya I gained weight because I decided to give myself a diet break and ate whatever I wanted to practice what it feels like to be in maintenance and not surprising I gained 2kg in one months time overeating almost everyday. Would just like to know those of y'all that have gained some weight back..how do y'all get urself back on track and motivate urself without mentally beating urself up? It's getting harder for me to jump back on the wagon as days goes by and I'm starting to count calories again today but it's just so hard. Guess I'm not read my for maintenance

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You cannot be in a calorie deficit forever.. IMHO you should be planning maintenance during your last pounds (for me that's 10 cause it takes so long to lose that last bit)..

You should decide if you keep using MFP to log calories in maintenance or adopt a new way of eating like intuitive eating, etc.. I still log here as do a lot of maintainers do and some do not.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Just keep fighting. It takes me 1-2 weeks to get back to my proper deficit after being at maintenance, because to start with I am hungry and rebellious. Then gradually I adjust to the lower calorie intake and get back into a routine. It's like steering a ship, you turn the wheel but it takes time for the ship to come around.

But you need to look again at your approach - "maintenance" does not mean "eating whatever you want". I think it's a really good idea to practice being at maintenance and I've done it a couple of times now, but I'm still tracking everything and I'm still working to stay within a calorie goal - just a higher goal, that's all. If you stop tracking and just let it go for a week or more, it's going to be harder to get back on track. You can still do it, though, and you will.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    kanaada wrote: »
    Hi all so ya I gained weight because I decided to give myself a diet break and ate whatever I wanted to practice what it feels like to be in maintenance and not surprising I gained 2kg in one months time overeating almost everyday. Would just like to know those of y'all that have gained some weight back..how do y'all get urself back on track and motivate urself without mentally beating urself up? It's getting harder for me to jump back on the wagon as days goes by and I'm starting to count calories again today but it's just so hard. Guess I'm not read my for maintenance

This is not what it's going to be at maintanance. If you check the 'maintaining weight' forum you'll see that people there (myself including) count their caloroes carefully in order to maintain. Maintanance is not eating how you use to eat. How you use to eat is what made you fat/fatter in the first place.
    About your question - I gained 2lbs while on holloday this year (I knew I would as I decided to, I was still logging). When the holiday was over I just got back to my previous routine. That's why creating new habbits is so important - you can easilly go back to them.

Once again - maintanance is still counting. Some people count for years at maintanance.
  • kanaada
    kanaada Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You cannot be in a calorie deficit forever.. IMHO you should be planning maintenance during your last pounds (for me that's 10 cause it takes so long to lose that last bit)..

You should decide if you keep using MFP to log calories in maintenance or adopt a new way of eating like intuitive eating, etc.. I still log here as do a lot of maintainers do and some do not.

I know what u said totally made sense but I still have around 20pounds to lose till my ideal weight!!! I guess maintenance is not as easy as it seems!
  • kanaada
    Options
    Just keep fighting. It takes me 1-2 weeks to get back to my proper deficit after being at maintenance, because to start with I am hungry and rebellious. Then gradually I adjust to the lower calorie intake and get back into a routine. It's like steering a ship, you turn the wheel but it takes time for the ship to come around.

But you need to look again at your approach - "maintenance" does not mean "eating whatever you want". I think it's a really good idea to practice being at maintenance and I've done it a couple of times now, but I'm still tracking everything and I'm still working to stay within a calorie goal - just a higher goal, that's all. If you stop tracking and just let it go for a week or more, it's going to be harder to get back on track. You can still do it, though, and you will.

Yup I totally agree I regretted not counting calories and letting myself go like this. it's like the more I delay the harder it is to get back on track! I guess I will just have to suck it up and accept that in this journey there is bound to be setbacks:( thanks a lot for ur encouragement
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I found this from @cwolfman13. He is spot on in his assessment:

cwolfman13 wrote: »
    People tend to think of reaching their goal weight or whatever as crossing some kind of finish line. The reality is that you've just arrived at the starting line of the real race. People think they're done...but they're actually just beginning. They are finished losing weight...so they slack on their nutrition. People so closely relate exercise to losing weight that they fail to set independent fitness goals and they slack on their fitness and/or drop it altogether when they're done losing weight. These are the things that lead to putting all that weight back on.

It's not hard per sei...but people for the most part fail to truly make a "lifestyle change"....and really, maintenance is where that change comes through. Lifestyle change isn't about logging or keeping a diary or whatever. Ultimately, long term success is only sustainable when you make nutrition central to your dietary eating habits. You ultimately have to live a life that is fitness centric. Your nutrition and fitness have to be your new lifestyle and this is where pretty much everyone fails (about 95% of the population).

The only difference between losing an maintaining is a few hundred calories...that's it. You still have to rock your nutrition and rock your fitness. Failure to do so will ultimately lead to putting your weight back on. Hopefully you've spent some time while you were losing to really learn how to eat...learn portion control and moderation rather than deprivation as they are ultimately pretty necessary tools for maintenance.
  • kanaada
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

This is not what it's going to be at maintanance. If you check the 'maintaining weight' forum you'll see that people there (myself including) count their caloroes carefully in order to maintain. Maintanance is not eating how you use to eat. How you use to eat is what made you fat/fatter in the first place.
    About your question - I gained 2lbs while on holloday this year (I knew I would as I decided to, I was still logging). When the holiday was over I just got back to my previous routine. That's why creating new habbits is so important - you can easilly go back to them.

Once again - maintanance is still counting. Some people count for years at maintanance.

Hi thanks for ur comment. I understand ur point about maintenance and yup it was really my mistake by not counting calories. Maybe it's because I still have the mindset of wanting to lose weight so I did not completely adjust myself to the maintenance thinking. It's more like a diet break for me eating food that I like. Thanks for ur advice anyway appreciate it
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a calm person in general so I just remind myself that even if I've dug myself in a hold it's not the end of the world. Just gotta remind yourself that if you've lost weight before then it's nothing to lose it again, take it one day at a time, and slowly but surely you'll get yourself back on track.
  • kanaada
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I found this from @cwolfman13. He is spot on in his assessment:

cwolfman13 wrote: »
    People tend to think of reaching their goal weight or whatever as crossing some kind of finish line. The reality is that you've just arrived at the starting line of the real race. People think they're done...but they're actually just beginning. They are finished losing weight...so they slack on their nutrition. People so closely relate exercise to losing weight that they fail to set independent fitness goals and they slack on their fitness and/or drop it altogether when they're done losing weight. These are the things that lead to putting all that weight back on.

It's not hard per sei...but people for the most part fail to truly make a "lifestyle change"....and really, maintenance is where that change comes through. Lifestyle change isn't about logging or keeping a diary or whatever. Ultimately, long term success is only sustainable when you make nutrition central to your dietary eating habits. You ultimately have to live a life that is fitness centric. Your nutrition and fitness have to be your new lifestyle and this is where pretty much everyone fails (about 95% of the population).

The only difference between losing an maintaining is a few hundred calories...that's it. You still have to rock your nutrition and rock your fitness. Failure to do so will ultimately lead to putting your weight back on. Hopefully you've spent some time while you were losing to really learn how to eat...learn portion control and moderation rather than deprivation as they are ultimately pretty necessary tools for maintenance.

That's really eye opening for me thank you so much
  • kanaada
    Options
    I tend to be a calm person in general so I just remind myself that even if I've dug myself in a hold it's not the end of the world. Just gotta remind yourself that if you've lost weight before then it's nothing to lose it again, take it one day at a time, and slowly but surely you'll get yourself back on track.

You are right! Thanks a lot! I already know how giving up feels like time to persist!!!'
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I know what u said totally made sense but I still have around 20pounds to lose till my ideal weight!!! I guess maintenance is not as easy as it seems!

You are still losing weight.. no need to stress over that part just yet.. but there really is no finish line.

When you get to the last 10 pounds ask your self if the last 10 is still your goal.. if it is, keep going and be thinking about and planning maintenance.. think of it as two lanes in the road merging together into one.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It's more like a diet break for me eating food that I like. Thanks for ur advice anyway appreciate it
    I would say based on this statement that moving foward you need to work on learning the portion sizes of foods you like that will fit your maintenance calorie goal. So eat these foods more often while losing your last 20 lbs.
    People talk about eating in a sustainable way while losing weight so when you get to your goal you are eating pretty much the same as you will to maintain. Your deficit should be small if you are close to or at a healthy weight so moving to your maintenance level is probably only going to add 100-300 calories unless your activity level goes up. So you aren't going to be able to eat a ton more.

• walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 pounds back, of the 105 I lost. I felt awful and beat myself up for months. I finally packed away my size S/M, 6's and 8's, put them out of sight and filled my drawers with clothes that fit (size 10/large).

It took a little while and some self-loathing but I finally believed all you have is right now. You have to start where you are, right now. I'm back to losing, nearly 15 pounds down and believe me, the journey is just as exciting the second time around.