quinoa recipe ideas??

Options
uptomischief96
uptomischief96 Posts: 10 Member
Had anyone got any recipe ideas for me using quinoa ? I've just been cooking it with garlic, onion and chicken stock, I'm really keen to try something new!

Replies

• roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Minimalist baker has a good quinoa tacos recipe
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    I use it like rice in stuffed peppers.
  • Ibshealthfitnesswithashleys
    Options
    I do stuffed acorn squash with quinoa and chicken sausage it's so good
  • testusertests
    testusertests Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ww
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I like making Mexican chicken with mine, 1-2 tins of chopped tomatoes, paprika, coriander (ground and fresh), cumin, oregano, 1 onion, 4 garlic cloves, 1-2 bell peppers, chili powder and fresh chili, cayenne pepper, chicken stock cube, 3 chicken breasts and 2 cups of quinoa. basically 1-2 teaspoons of the herbs and spices fry everything, add the chopped tomatoes then quinoa and cook till its soft. You may need to add some water through out the cooking process (or red wine!). Serve with a spoonful of reduced fat natural yogurt or a sprinkle of cheese

Or I do few skinless fillets of smoked haddock or smoked cod (this works with most white smoked and unsmoked fish), 1 onion, 1 lemon, 1-2 cups of broccoli or a cup of peas, fresh parsley, 1 glass of white wine, 1 fish stock cube, 2-3 bay leaves, black pepper to taste and about 2-3 cups of quinoa, 1 cup of water. Again fry everything apart from the fish and lemon then add the liquid, fish, quinoa and the lemon in wedges and cook till soft. Serve with again a spoonful of reduced fat yogurt and a bit of fresh parsley.

These are not one meal measurements as when I cook I always make some for meals later in the week and my greedy boyfriend. Also nothing is exact, just use your judgment with what you like for amounts.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Google "Allie Vincent's Quinoa Salad." Quinoa, black beans, mangoes, onion, and a killer dressing! Enjoy.
  • JGilchrist23
    JGilchrist23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've made this a few times and it is delicious

http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-chicken-quinoa-broccoli-casserole
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This quinoa stuffed pepper recipe is vegan but you could easily chop up sausage or chicken & add it to the mix.
    ltdiipbx9qnb.jpg
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/09/30/vegan-stuffed-bell-pepper-cheesy-quinoa-beans/

I LOVE quinoa with a bunch of coconut oil, chipotle powder and freshly wilted spinach & salt. SO GOOD.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    My daughter, Hunter, came up with this recipe and it is so good:

QUINOA VEGGIE PLATE

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp chix bouillion
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning
    Parmesan to taste

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add chix flavored bullion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 8 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with parmesan.

*To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.
  • samrann
    samrann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    While cooking my quinoa in chicken broth, i saute some vegetables that will be mix into the quinoa later. You can chose whatever you like but I always do zucchini, onion and bell peppers. After the quinoa is done cooking and the veggies are sauteed i mix it all together with fat free low calorie italian dressing.
  • ehaleyhoward2778
    ehaleyhoward2778 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Quinoa chicken broccoli casserole. Delicious and healthy
  • debhig10
    debhig10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://fitfoodiefinds.com/category/dinner-2/ Cashew Chicken Quinoa is excellent....we add a little fish sauce to it, and mushrooms. Healthy Chinese!
  • sherri_bee
    sherri_bee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I made this today. It's one of my standby recipes to take for lunch during the week. http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/black-bean-and-quinoa-enchilada-bake/

I just take my portion and heat it up in my crockpot warmer https://www.amazon.ca/Crock-Pot-Lunch-Crock-Warmer-Black/dp/B00942VHOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477253653&sr=8-1&keywords=crockpot+warmer
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cold quinoa salad. Cook quinoa with water as usual, put in fridge to cool. Cut up zucchini, crook neck squash, cucumber, peppers. Make a Dijon vinegarette add sage, rosemary, basil, pepper, salt to it. Combine quinoa, veggies and vinegarette. It keeps for a few days. I eat this on top of greens and some times add a sprinkle of feta or goat cheese. I will also add a few pepitas or slivered almonds too.
  • patriciagriffitt88
    patriciagriffitt88 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cook quinoa with chicken broth and sautéed onions and garlic, when done add a can of drained black beans, can or frozen corn and a can of rotel tomatoes! Makes a Mexican side dish full of good stuff, I serve with chicken or steak. My favorite quinoa recipe so far and simple!
  • littlelivie771
    littlelivie771 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cooked quinoa, olives, garbanzo beans, bell peppers, red onions, grape tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil.