Diabetic Eating

Options
I have a diabetic picky eater in my home. This person won't eat any veggies and when dinner time comes around will pile a plate with meat (usually fried) and sit before the television and eat. Any suggestions on how I can change these eating habits? This person is very set in their ways. Also, anyone possibly diabetic that might want to be included in my friend list that might want to share recipes and advice on how to deal with a diabetic? Thank you greatly for your input.

Replies

• AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    The diabetic has to want to change a little before you can make this happen. I'm not diabetic but I do have to watch my sugar and carbohydrate intake for other health reasons. Try your hardest to bake, grill, and broil all meats. also, veggies are sometimes hard to take in. try cooking them with meat, like stir frys or gumbos. Homemade soup is usually a good way to sneak in nutrition, just watch the sodium. :) happy eating!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You have to want to change your eating habits. If you don't... well... then when the heart attack or stroke hits you while you are young, then I hope the bad eating habits in life were worth the early death.

I was diabetic because I sucked down soda and ate a lot of sugary food and did not eat a lot of vegetables.

I decided I wanted to see 40 and long ago put this stuff down. Today my sugar levels are about normal. But I had to sacrifice the things that I liked the most to do it, and now only once in a while will I indulge.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic. I've found pastas to be a good way to get veggies in (heavy on the veggies, easy on the pasta)--you can sneak ALOT of veggies into a spaghetti sauce or lasagna. Stop frying the meat--sautee it, grill it, broil it, bake it--there are flavorful ways to do all these things. Try mixing some cheese in with the veggies (broccoli with cheese, califlour mac and cheese, asparagus with parmesan, etc), it makes them much less 'veggie-like' but still delicious and healthy. Or, as an inbetween, to wean them off the fried stuff and onto veggies, try frying some veggies (tempura, or something). It might get them accustomed to veggies so you can slowly transition. Just a few ideas...
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    What everyone else said. My dad is diabetic and thinks he can eat whatever he wants because he can pop some pills and get back to normal.

I would say the best option is to show them that healthy food CAN taste good, too. Our society has that stigma that if it's not fried or sweet it's food for cows.
  • emazing96
    emazing96 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can also use a food processor to finely chop veggies and use them in your cooking. They will be so small they won't even notice.
  • Millie77
    Millie77 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am diabetic, I was diagnosed a year ago, this past Feb. I take a pill daily to control it. My A1C test were "above 9" when I was diagnosed. I ate right and brought it down to 6.1, which is a high normal, but then began slacking again and it went up to 7.1. My meds were doubled in strength, and it hit me hard because diabetes complications have killed 2 people in my immediate family, and my dad and all his siblings have it now. Anyway, I don't really cook, I'm not good at it and hate to cook, so I've been eating basically whatever I want, as long as it's in my calorie goal. Lots of fruit, because I love sweets (even though a "diabetic" diet limits them), and my sugars have been the lowest I've seen them! :) I know this may not be the same for everyone, but I find that as long as I stay in my calorie range MFP set for me, the foods I eat to stay in range are keeping my sugars down. Maybe it's a start for this person, not to restrictive, but making wiser choices.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    First of all, like the others said, THEY must want to change, you cannot force them to. Also, I do most of the cooking, so whatever I make is what EVERYONE eats. If they don't like it, they don't eat or can make themselves somthing else. I also do not keep any junk in the house such as cookies, chips, etc. It's a hard and difficult process, but well worth it overall. I make lots of stri frys, with all types of meats from chicken, pork and beef. I use low sodium sauces and fresh or frozen veggies. I had to get creative when cooking, as I get bored easily! There are a TON of web sites that offer diabetic-friendly recipes, Kraft (I believe) being one of them. Also check out your library for cookbooks and books in general on diabetic eating. My huband is diabetic, so we only use whole-wheat pastas and bread. We no longer buy white bread or "regular" pasta. Good luck!
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi there. I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 25 years. The only way they are going to change is if they want to. You can have all the best intentions, but they have to want it.

But....there is a way to make 'mashed potatoes' out of cauliflower. I think Ruby Tuesday's does it. Put a bunch in a food processor and mash until they look like mashed potatoes. Simple! You may have to put some Smart Balance butter on them at first, but eventually you can wean them off of it.

Good luck.

Friend me if you would like!!

Debi
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 25 years. The only way they are going to change is if they want to. You can have all the best intentions, but they have to want it.

But....there is a way to make 'mashed potatoes' out of cauliflower. I think Ruby Tuesday's does it. Put a bunch in a food processor and mash until they look like mashed potatoes. Simple! You may have to put some Smart Balance butter on them at first, but eventually you can wean them off of it.

Good luck.

Friend me if you would like!!

Oh yes, I've made them!!! Here's the recipe, you have to cook the cauliflower first:

Mock Mashed Potatoes

Yields 4 servings

Ingredients
    1 medium head cauliflower
    1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions

Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.

In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.

Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of butter.

Hint: Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh rosemary for a whole new taste

Nutrition Facts:
    Nutritional Analysis Per serving
    Calories 53
    Fat 12 grams
    Saturated Fat 7 grams
    Carbohydrates 8 grams
    Fiber 4 grams
    Net Carbohydrates 4 grams