Bench Plateu (Advice Needed)

Options
So when I first started I was able to increase weight by 5 pounds until I get to about 135-140. For the past month and a half I have not been able to get past that 135-140 for 4-5 rep range. I feel as Im getting weaker as last week I got 140 for 4 then got 4 with 135 my first set. I just need some advice on how I can break this plateu and can start seeing progress. My push routine usually consists of Bench, Flat DB, Incline DB, hammer strength, Cable flys, Overhead tricep, Tricep pushdowns, Shoulder DB press as well as some Lateral raises and rear dets

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So when I first started I was able to increase weight by 5 pounds until I get to about 135-140. For the past month and a half I have not been able to get past that 135-140 for 4-5 rep range. I feel as Im getting weaker as last week I got 140 for 4 then got 4 with 135 my first set. I just need some advice on how I can break this plateu and can start seeing progress. My push routine usually consists of Bench, Flat DB, Incline DB, hammer strength, Cable flys, Overhead tricep, Tricep pushdowns, Shoulder DB press as well as some Lateral raises and rear dets

VERY generally speaking here are a few things to consider:

1) Bench pressing is a skill. Doing it more often can potentially make you better at the skill of bench pressing.
    2) When you are stalled on a particular lift it is often caused by either not enough volume (you need to do more benching) or not enough recovery (you are doing too much).

If you constantly feel fresh and not beat up by your training, and your other gym performance is good in other areas (other lifts are going UP, you feel good) then I would add more bench press volume and in your case I'd probably increase the frequency (bench 3+ times per week).

If you constantly feel beat up then it's possible you're doing too much volume and you need more recovery to progress. One way to test this is to deload for a week and see if your bench goes up the week after the deload.

Finally, it's also possible that your programming needs work.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel summed it up pretty perfectly. Far more than squats and deads, technique on bench has to be on point to progress in weight and the only way to build that technique is to spend a *kitten* ton of time with your back on a bench.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

You didn't say what your set and rep range for your other exercises are. Your muscles get accustomed to the sane weight and reps so you need to confuse them by changing and mixing your routine. You might try doing incline bench first for awhile. Also look at six pack smackdiwn they have a bench pyramid calculator that will set up a pyramid routine for you. I used something simular when I was powerlifting.
  • FLBuckeye34
    FLBuckeye34 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Growth Hormone is what you want to activate. I believe in changing every 2wks or as my Mentor Louie Simmons refers to it as circa max or mini max cycle. Also to make the bench stronger being a compound exercise, you need to have a wide/strong back or base.... The bigger and stronger the base, the bigger the bench. Back shoulders at the rear delt deal with the initial push off the chest. The triceps being a 3headed monster work at various stages of the lift...... Dumbbell lying extensions with the pulling of the elbows back to your face a bit enacts the tri from the inside of the elbow, which is a disregarded part. Breaking up you bench into 2days helps as well...... Mon speed day with 40sec. of rest 10 sets of 3 at 65% of your max is more than enough volume... Think about it you just did 30 reps as fast and controlled as possible. I could write forever and ever. Look for articles from Louie Simmons, JL Holdsworth and Dave Tate.... you can get them on youtube. Brian
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but I recently read that gripping the bar harder can help with your power. Not sure it would be enough to help you break your plateau, but it can't hurt to try it.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel is pretty on the ball for advice. Also are you following a structured bench program to actually incorporate progressive reloads and deloads? I was stuck for about 3 months at 185x3. I looked into both the westsyde method and wendlers 5/3/1. Since I started the westsyde method I've been really greasing the groove of the movement and 185 feels like nothing. You can incorporate both of those rep/weight schemes into a pre existing program.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So... I plateaued a couple years ago. Then I got some great advice: Bench technique is about engaging your lats. It's not just an arm/chest exercise. The lats are huge muscles, and you have to learn how to engage them to really push your bench up. That was REALLY difficult for me to do, and it took nearly a year of constant work on the technique before it became natural to me. There's a lot of videos on YouTube about this. Google phrases like "Bend the Bar" or "Breaking the Bar", for technique hints on how to get the form right.

It may take lighter weight for you to figure this out, but you have to engage your lats. Over time, if you practice it enough, you'll get it. I think bench is the most technical lift out of the big three. It's the one I struggled with the most.

The other thing is: fuel your workouts man. Make sure you're eating right. And I don't mean on just days you lift. Your whole week of food has to be built around your workouts. Make sure you're getting enough to eat, and the right kinds of food.

Good luck.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    really work proper form, tight lats, fully engaged body, leg drive, etc.
    i do a max effort day, a volume/speed day with three different grips. I do a ton of tricep and back/shoulder accessory exercises in the 8-10 rep range. wide grip pull ups are great . I also do board presses, pin presses, benching with bands and chains. all this helps me build my bench. Its a very slow process once you max out your newbie gains. I train conjugate method / westside. mark bell has some good videos
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Some great advice already but one more thing you might consider. Has your food intake changed at all recently? I know that when I'm eating at more of a deficit over time that I struggle to lift the same weights or it just plain feels more difficult.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I wasn't gonna say anything that SideSteel didn't already say. The only thing I wanted to add was to mention that at some point it will take more muscle to move more weight and bulking can help break those plateaus. But you're no where near that point in my opinion.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    B)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    really work proper form, tight lats, fully engaged body, leg drive, etc.
    i do a max effort day, a volume/speed day with three different grips. I do a ton of tricep and back/shoulder accessory exercises in the 8-10 rep range. wide grip pull ups are great . I also do board presses, pin presses, benching with bands and chains. all this helps me build my bench. Its a very slow process once you max out your newbie gains. I train conjugate method / westside. mark bell has some good videos

Mark bell for the win