I JUST DID 2 CHIN-UPS SLOWLY WITH NO HELP!!!

Options
Happy dance!!! Any one else have an exercise related goal they want to share? I just had to shout my victory out to the MFP world!! I am not even going to post it on Facebook. I am now also running 5k in barely under 27 minutes which is super for me. My first 5k that I ran, almost 10 years ago or so, took me about 45 minutes. Inspire me with your victories please!!!

Replies

• Farrell73
    Farrell73 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yay! Way to go!
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Great job!
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Those aren't easy! I'm still working on it! amazing work
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! I'm shooting for 5 full press ups currently
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    WTG!
  • smurfette54
    smurfette54 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Up to 4 now. Man that is hard! Thanks everyone. Keep reaching for the stars.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Nice! Chin ups are far beyond me right now so I definitely appreciate what a victory that is :)
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Great 5k time and congrats on chin ups! I dream of being able to do one :/
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    so impressed with your chins. i'm still doing negatives from the top end and cable pulls from the bottom, and happy enough just with that.

my big win is the turkish getup. i always thought that was about the coolest-looking move in the book, and i tried once and just classed them as right out of my league. then my trainer had this 'challenge' one month where you just did tgu reps, and i learned the proper way to do them from him. that lower-leg part used to just defeat me, but i can bridge up now with real confidence, and hold it for as long as it takes till i'm ready to bring that lower foot back and through. now the 'worst' thing about them is the wear in my kneecaps.

i'm a little bit intermittent with them, which is a shame. i don't think there's been anything in all this time which has done as much to settle and clean up my various shoulder issues.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I finally moved from ring rows as a scale for pull ups to kipping with bands. I'm hoping this will make those muscles even stronger yet!
  • smurfette54
    smurfette54 Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    my big win is the turkish getup. i always thought that was about the coolest-looking move in the book, and i tried once and just classed them as right out of my league. then my trainer had this 'challenge' one month where you just did tgu reps, and i learned the proper way to do them from him. that lower-leg part used to just defeat me, but i can bridge up now with real confidence, and hold it for as long as it takes till i'm ready to bring that lower foot back and through. now the 'worst' thing about them is the wear in my kneecaps.

I need in on this Turkish Getup thing!
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ah well done! I've been doing chin up and pull up training for a while now and I'm so close but not quite there. My negatives are spot on, but getting up from the ground unaided is just out of reach!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I need in on this Turkish Getup thing!

honestly, i'd go to work and furtively wonder if i could zip into an empty boardroom long enough to get a few of them done.

if you want to try: what made the difference for me was to think of the geometry of the whole thing, all the way through. . idk if this will help you, but fwiw: i take this mental line and draw it from my planted foot to my planted hand. if that line passes 'through' my hips on the way, i find that i'm usually pretty solid. the times where you have something else on the ground is just bonus :smiley: i think i try to plant the knee of the bottom leg on that same line as well, actually. it's another one where the negatives seem to be easier and come more intuitively too. so a way to approach them just to test your overall readiness and mobility.

so really, the tgu is a tripod thing. it's all about lines. you get a straight line vertically from your top hand to your elbow or other hand on the ground, and then you get a straight line horizontally from weight-bearing hand to weight-bearing foot. and i really try to use it at the end of my warmup moves as a kind of overall everything-integrator. i can do planks and stuff, but i love the tgu for going into that other dimension. you actually use that core tightness while you move through multiple different levels and plains.

also: a little weight goes a LONG way when you're working it out :tongue:
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    You rock
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    Great job on the chin ups!!!!!!!!

This was a part of my workout yesterday, and thought they showed progress:

vact7e4kp62v.jpg

This was also my NSV. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!