Logging roller derby training?

Options
BeGrandLike
BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all! I've a Q for any skaters around (or any of you who do similar sports). I'm returning to roller derby training today after a few months away, and there doesn't seem to be a way to directly estimate calories for my training sessions on MFP.

What I figure is: I've a two hour training session but I want to subtract the time in between drills, so I'll just "log" one hour. And normally hat I do for cardio is take MFP's calorie estimations for whatever I do and divide it by two (so, say, MFP gives me 500 cals for an hour of cardio and I halve that and eat 250 of em). I'm working on weight loss at the moment so I want to be sure and keep my deficit, but I also know that if I go on a deficit of more than about 400 calories a day I get way too hungry and can't sustain it. (MFP has me on 1200 cals/day before exercise cause I'm a shortass with a desk job but I find 1300-plus-exercise-cals is far more sustainable for me- it's a slower pace but I'd rather go slower and not feel distractingly hungry all the damn time!)

So I was thinking of just logging 300 cals for the two hour training session? Since I'd give myself about 250 extra eats for an hour of cardio.

What do you all think?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    endomondo includes roller skating as an exercise, so if you add endomondo to your phone, you can pause when you're taking breaks and unpause when you're back. then you synch your endomondo to MFP and it will automatically add something like "burned 302 calories doing 65 minutes of doing roller skating" and add the exercise calories to everything.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Oh hi fellow derby skater!
    I am using my Apple Watch to track my skating, and it's not perfect. I find that skating is tricky because neither my Fitbit nor AW count skate strides very well. All it has is heart rate to go on, really. I set my AW to "other" workout which logs a brisk walk type activity for all the minutes it is running. If I remember to pause it in long breaks I do, but I let it run continuously for scrimmage if I am up every other jam because it's just like intervals.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks and hello!

I guess tracking training is always going to be a rough estimate, really- since no to sessions (or even jams!) are the same and even if I were to track scrimmage a certain way, it's gonna be very different depending on whether I'm, say, jamming on a heavy rotation or blocking every 3rd jam. I don't think my league would look kindly on my taking my phone with me into the track for training and mucking about with it between exercises- not to mention the risk of it getting rolled over, ofc. So I guess I'll just have to estimate 2-300 extra calories, maybe, per training sesh and a bit more if we're scrimming and just track my stats and see how it works out in the end? Yesterday I gave myself 300 cals to play with, ended up eating about 270 and felt pretty great overall.

I mean, as much as you can say "pretty great" when it's your first time back training after almost a half-year away and your thighs are screeeeaming at ya the next day ;)
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a figure skater and I typically only log for half the time I'm skating as I'm a little older and slower than your average ice princess.

I have taken my phone out to track and I don't think it's terribly accurate. I'm thinking that maybe movements on the ice don't have the same acceleration patterns as moving on solid ground. Probably a similar issue in tracking roller skating.

P.s. I've always really admired derby folks and I would love to try it out some day!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    endomondo includes roller skating as an exercise, so if you add endomondo to your phone, you can pause when you're taking breaks and unpause when you're back. then you synch your endomondo to MFP and it will automatically add something like "burned 302 calories doing 65 minutes of doing roller skating" and add the exercise calories to everything.

endomondo estimates activity really high though,it was giving me a calorie burned every 5 seconds.there was no way that was happening. OP its always best to underestimate exercise calories,do it for awhile and see how fast you are losing,if you end up losing too quickly then eat back more exercise calories.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    We're specifically not allowed phones on the bench so that's out for me anyway. I got excited about Endomondo after this thread but having used it the past few days I can tell you it only logs info to the Health app and has no effect on your Activity rings if you use that. It will push burned calories to MFP, though. I know I am probably getting an excess of burned energy logged using the "other" workout for practice nights, but the AW absolutely shorts me on skate energy without it, and until you can manually log this is what I have. Still, be interested to see how you think Endomondo does set to skating. I'm skating tomorrow night, maybe I'll run both if I can.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    I was all up in here assuming everyone had Apple Watches, sorry brain fart!