mexican dining

Options
hey guys! i am going to a mexican restaurant tonight, and i was wondering if you had any advice for what to order that is low-moderate calorie? what do you usually order?!

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I have been getting pork chili verde. I am not sure what the calorie count is, and I know it's high in sodium. But I skip the tortillas, and it hasn't affected my loss :)
  • fruitloops313
    fruitloops313 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would love to know that also, because mexican food is definitely my weakness !!!!!
  • Brandi424
    Brandi424 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ours has a grilled chicken salad. It has lettuce, grilled chicken, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and mushrooms. I get no cheese and no dressing and top it with salsa and sometimes guacamole.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just went through the same deal last Saturday.

I ate a shrimp / rice / and vegetable plate.

In general, stay away from the standard list of stuff and look for special chicken or fish deals. Anything that DOES NOT mention cheese (of which there will not be a lot) are probably your better bets.

Fajita's are pretty good also.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! no tortillas! i like mole sauce, does anyone know how that tends to fare?
  • drejen
    drejen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'd try fajitas and skip the tortillas or ask for corn tortillas
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I usually go for the chicken fajitas. If you really want to watch calories, dont eat the tortilla!
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We go once a week with our family. I get a grilled chicken breast with grilled peppers and and squash over a small bed of rice. Other days I get the grilled chicken salad, no dressing. and on some days I get the chicken fajitas w/out the tortillas and go easy on the beans and rice and just eat the veggies that come with. I avoid things with cheese sauce (which is rather difficult for me) and I limit my chips and salsa as well.
  • Dahlface13
    Dahlface13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Second the fajitas sans tortilla comments.

I like to get the grilled chicken with sauteed peppers and onions on top. I guess that's kinda like a tortilla-free chicken fajita tho...hehe.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    You can do the chicken soup. If it is an authentic mexican restaurant order the consome de pollo! Very low calorie!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! no tortillas! i like mole sauce, does anyone know how that tends to fare?

I'm a HUGE fan of chicken mole!!! I have never had any issues with it. I think you will be fine. Mexican food is my weakness too.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Fajitas or tacos. Corn tortillas are generally better than soft I think. Yes to black beans, no to rice! I'm a fan of shrimp tacos if they have them.